Results 1 to 20 of 20

Different style lug caps?

This is a discussion on Different style lug caps? within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; I have a 2000 TA that I bought new from my local Pontiac dealer. I was going to buy a ...

  1. #1
    Buried in Smoke black crowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NE TX
    Age
    48
    Posts
    67

    Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

    Different style lug caps?

    I have a 2000 TA that I bought new from my local Pontiac dealer. I was going to buy a couple plastic lug nut caps to replace ones that have fell off, and noticed that everywhere I look to buy some new ones, they are different than mine. Mine are smooth on the top like this one -

    All of the ones I have been looking at have a recessed top like this one -

    I did find some at ecklers, but they are gray, and mine are black. Does anyone else have the smooth style lug caps that are black on their car, or know where I can get some?

  2. #2
    Single Malt rbob93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,707

    Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

    Get a set of Gorilla Lugs & throw that plastic crap away.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    To make it more confusing: There are two styles of smooth caps -- tall and short. I ordered a set of caps and they sent the short ones on my first order. I need the tall caps for our '02 WS.6.

    If you need just a few of the black short ones, I may still have them.

  4. #4
    Buried in Smoke black crowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NE TX
    Age
    48
    Posts
    67

    Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Get a set of Gorilla Lugs & throw that plastic crap away.
    I would like a set of Gorilla lugs, but money is tight right now, so I have to settle for finding a couple plastic caps to replace my missing ones.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oakdale MN
    Posts
    66

    Silver
    1998 z28 convertible

    Buicks of that year also have those lug caps to I pulled one off of my dads car and it looks exactly like what you need. Maybe try to look at the caps for a buick. On a sidenote I needed 20 of them and the dealer wanted 90 bucks for them. They are almost 5 bucks a piece. So if you need like four or five thats 20 to 25 bucks you could put towards those gorilla lugs.

  6. #6
    Buried in Smoke black crowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NE TX
    Age
    48
    Posts
    67

    Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    To make it more confusing: There are two styles of smooth caps -- tall and short. I ordered a set of caps and they sent the short ones on my first order. I need the tall caps for our '02 WS.6.

    If you need just a few of the black short ones, I may still have them.
    I am not sure if my caps are short or tall. They are about 1 and 5/16" tall. If mine are the short ones, would you have a part # for the black short ones?

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by black crowe View Post
    I am not sure if my caps are short or tall. They are about 1 and 5/16" tall. If mine are the short ones, would you have a part # for the black short ones?
    Those are the short ones -- I have 7 total. 5 are on my car though as I did not yet buy replacement caps. I had to install the short caps on one wheel just so it would not look too odd with a mix of tall and short caps. If you are interested, I can order my replacements and send you the short ones when they arrive as I have no use for them.

  8. #8
    Buried in Smoke black crowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NE TX
    Age
    48
    Posts
    67

    Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Those are the short ones -- I have 7 total. 5 are on my car though as I did not yet buy replacement caps. I had to install the short caps on one wheel just so it would not look too odd with a mix of tall and short caps. If you are interested, I can order my replacements and send you the short ones when they arrive as I have no use for them.
    I would be interested in all of the short ones. How much would you be asking for them? I need two lug caps for now, but will need a source in the future in case more fall off. Who are you ordering them from?

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by black crowe View Post
    I would be interested in all of the short ones. How much would you be asking for them? I need two lug caps for now, but will need a source in the future in case more fall off. Who are you ordering them from?
    You can have them. PM me an address and I will try to mail the two I am not using to you on Monday. I ordered the caps from: http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

  10. #10
    Member Bowtie Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North San Diego County,CA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    193

    Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

    Try partsforyourcar.com

  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    At Autozone today -- happened to find the short (1-5/16") smooth top caps while looking around. Dorman P/N 711-022 -- pack of 5 for $6.99. I still have short caps on one of my wheels as I have not tried to find the long ones since this spring. I bought a pack and did a side-by-side comparison and they look to be a perfect match.

  12. #12
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Subscribed. I need a few long ones. Thanks for the links.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Subscribed. I need a few long ones. Thanks for the links.
    I may just swap over to the short ones. Interested in my other ones?

  14. #14
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I may just swap over to the short ones. Interested in my other ones?
    PM sent.

  15. #15
    Member 98CamaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Jersey.
    Posts
    219

    Navy Blue
    98-Camaro SS.

    I hate those caps as they constantly falling off. Just replaced all of them with McGard lugs(triple chromed and lifetime warranty) and problem is solved. All the old lug nuts were crudey looking and some were even oxidized from retaining water with those stupid plastic caps.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by 98CamaroSS View Post
    I hate those caps as they constantly falling off. Just replaced all of them with McGard lugs(triple chromed and lifetime warranty) and problem is solved. All the old lug nuts were crudey looking and some were even oxidized from retaining water with those stupid palastic caps.
    We haven't lost any, but that may be why there was a mix on the car when we bought it. I agree, the lugnuts are pretty oxidized and have to be cleaned up. I just purchased a vibratory tumbler to polish small parts so they'll be going in that over the winter.

  17. #17
    Senior Member bigrondownhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,674

    Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

    As much as everyone hates slp they are the cheapest around that I see for the caps. Not sure if they are the short or long.

  18. #18
    Member sjgreen6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    476

    Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

    SLP Selling Sets Cheap

    I wanted to stay stock and just ordered a set of original style lugs and black caps for $23.15 from SLP. They also have chrome plated plastic lug caps if you want to go that route. Cheapest place I found for the whole set of 20!

    Steve

  19. #19
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Here's a pic of the short and tall caps for comparison:





    Our car had a mix of the two, so I really do not know which it is supposed to have. I based my earlier opinion on the fact that it had more tall caps than short ones.

  20. #20
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Here's a pic of the short and tall caps for comparison:


    Click for full size


    Our car had a mix of the two, so I really do not know which it is supposed to have. I based my earlier opinion on the fact that it had more tall caps than short ones.
    Hey Jeff. I just went out to the garage and measured mine. I definitely have the short ones! I thought I had the long ones. Mine measured about 1-5/16".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 04:54 PM
  2. Where do you get these center caps?
    By Suzaku in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 09:39 PM
  3. Lug nut caps...?
    By Spurkey in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 08:12 AM
  4. Lug nut caps
    By D-Loco713 in forum GTO
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 05:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •