Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

cracked rim

This is a discussion on cracked rim within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by JaycenK Also Most tire shops don't move the rim after the old tire has been taken off. ...

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Also Most tire shops don't move the rim after the old tire has been taken off. It usually sits on a mounting machine with a lock on it. They dismount the old and then mount the new one, fill it with air and then take it off the mounting machine and over to the ballancer.
    True... that's Why i did say it could definitely have come from the mounting machine as well. Initially I thought drop, and drop is still a possibility although highly unlikely at this point if they remotely know what they're doing. I was thinking drop because the last time I got new tires I had them take my rims off, dismount the tires and put different rims back on. I was thinking about them throwing my rims into the back of my truck and me getting pissed, but after I thought about it everything is under pressure on the mounting machines and that could have easily caused the crack. I've seen rims get damaged before when people weren't paying attention to what they're doing. Tire people hate me I'm sure because I watch them now outside the window in the waiting room and I pay attention to whether there were gashes etc. I even end up taking those plastic lug covers off before I turn the vehicle over because a lot of idiots will hit them with an impact wrench and break them all to hell. then its some 3-5 dollars a piece to replace them...

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    True... that's Why i did say it could definitely have come from the mounting machine as well. Initially I thought drop, and drop is still a possibility although highly unlikely at this point if they remotely know what they're doing. I was thinking drop because the last time I got new tires I had them take my rims off, dismount the tires and put different rims back on. I was thinking about them throwing my rims into the back of my truck and me getting pissed, but after I thought about it everything is under pressure on the mounting machines and that could have easily caused the crack. I've seen rims get damaged before when people weren't paying attention to what they're doing. Tire people hate me I'm sure because I watch them now outside the window in the waiting room and I pay attention to whether there were gashes etc. I even end up taking those plastic lug covers off before I turn the vehicle over because a lot of idiots will hit them with an impact wrench and break them all to hell. then its some 3-5 dollars a piece to replace them...
    Those tire machines are powerful and could cause damage if not done properly. When I took the tired off so I could get the rim repaired I went to a shop where my friend works so I could make sure it was done right. As a matter of fact him and I were taking off the tire and actually had it start to fold (see pic below) on us and to fix it we ended up having to bounce the tire on the otherside. It could have happened that way too, could have started to fold and someone wasn't careful when trying to resolved the problem. What I'm trying to say is I'm not trying to have everyone argue over how it happened (just possible ideas/thoughts) because it's not like we will ever know for sure how it was caused.
    I also take off the lug nut covers before because I've came up missing 5 at one time. You'd think they would be more careful with well kept up cars. IMO of course.

Click for full size
    Jessica
    '00 Trans Am WS6
    '98 Cherokee Classic - DD

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Those tire machines are powerful and could cause damage if not done properly. When I took the tired off so I could get the rim repaired I went to a shop where my friend works so I could make sure it was done right. As a matter of fact him and I were taking off the tire and actually had it start to fold (see pic below) on us and to fix it we ended up having to bounce the tire on the otherside. It could have happened that way too, could have started to fold and someone wasn't careful when trying to resolved the problem. What I'm trying to say is I'm not trying to have everyone argue over how it happened (just possible ideas/thoughts) because it's not like we will ever know for sure how it was caused.
    I also take off the lug nut covers before because I've came up missing 5 at one time. You'd think they would be more careful with well kept up cars. IMO of course.

Click for full size
    I have to say not many care anymore because I do run in to people that do care but for the most part I seem to always run into the people that are "having an off" day or "a bad day" or "HAVE NEVER HAD THAT HAPPEN BEFORE" (thatís my personal fav) so I think for the most part people don't care they just want to get paid and go home and bang ... well what ever.
    One thing I have learned is to always inspect my cars or what ever it is before I take anything to anyone because I have been burned a lot so this helps me have the upper hand when things go wrong. It may sound observe but a simple old digital camera will turn the tide in your favor 99% of the time. If they find something in another area of the car I go home first and then fix it my self or take it back after I know exactly what they will be messing with or what they are talking about. Hope it all works out.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

LOL yea impacts on plastic covers is one of my fav's!!! I have a truck with crome looking plastics and the idiots at the dealership have hit them with an impact gun about 4 times now an scatched the crap out of the wheels.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    LOL yea impacts on plastic covers is one of my fav's!!! I have a truck with crome looking plastics and the idiots at the dealership have hit them with an impact gun about 4 times now an scatched the crap out of the wheels.
    Lol... Tell me about it. I seem to get those people on an off day too. Last time I got an alignment it took them 4hrs. And I'm not an alignment expert but why do the alignment first then take the tires off to rotate and balance my tires? Sears auto center tell me well that's the way we do it. I've gotten to the point I don't think the majority of people care either. It seems it's I wants mine and that's it.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Lol... Tell me about it. I seem to get those people on an off day too. Last time I got an alignment it took them 4hrs. And I'm not an alignment expert but why do the alignment first then take the tires off to rotate and balance my tires? Sears auto center tell me well that's the way we do it. I've gotten to the point I don't think the majority of people care either. It seems it's I wants mine and that's it.
    pretty much...Now I just take mine to where I know people and know that it will be taken care of. I never leave it anywhere without me being there, hell I don't even let them drive it without being in the car (you know they just want to romp on it).

but on the rim, I took it to an older gentleman yesterday who does extremely good AL welding. He said I could pick it up today, however I have class until 2 and work 3-10 so I won't be able to get it until sometime tomorrow. I'll post up pics too.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

that can be fixed there is a guy that dose it around here i will see if i can get a number or some thing for you. this is all they do is fix wheels.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

It's currently being fixed, actually it's done already i just have to go pick it up. I've never had any work done by him before but he has been highly spoken of. I will be going to get it tomorrow, if it isn't as good as I expect I wouldn't mind getting that number from you. Thanks!

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

ok the place i was thinking of this is the only stuff they do but i found a link if you need it
    http://www.wheeldoctorohio.com/

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

cool cool, thanks i appreciate it went and picked up my rim today. w00t. looks pretty good, i'll post up pictures after i get done with class

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

pics of the weld

its more to the right side of the circle (hard to draw a good circle on the phone )

rust
    65 Impala SS Convertible

Weld looks good, but I would have trashed the rim. Not worth losing my life over a couple hundred bucks. Once the temper of metal is compromised, you never get it back.

As for the reason for the crack. IMHO the rim hit a pothole. Look at the bead on the other side of the rim. See how it is discolored? Means probably struck a pothole and bent both beads to where the bead lube or water settled in the bent area.

Good luck with the welded rim.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

The weld is a temporary fix for now. Being a full time student & working part time, I don't exactly have a lot of cash laying around.

As for the rim cracking, I have no idea nor will I ever but the beading has nothing to do with since it was never beaded before. Those are pictures from after it was beaded and driven on for a while and then tire removed to repair over winter.

Thanks for the input

red
    1999 Tran-Am WS7

hey i've been working at a tire shop for about 2 1/2 years and i just thought i would say that you should take the wheel to a local shop and have them put it on a tire balancer to make sure the wheel isnt bent. make sure you do this without a tire on it. you may not see the bend or it may not look bad but when it's spinning then it will show how bad it is bent, if it is bent. it's easier to spot a bent wheel on a balancer. just thought i'd throw that out there

rust
    65 Impala SS Convertible

Most of the better balancers will stop rotating when they sense no tire is on the rim and give you an error.

As for if the rim was beaded, it could have been done at the factory. Wheel/tire combos are sometimes spun so as to reduce weight put on. If the heavy spots are mounted at the same spot, you can cancel them out by spinning the tire 1/2 turn. And yes I know they come marked when new but they are not always right.

NBM
    2000 FRC Camaro SS

Don't let anyone tell you the weld is dangerous, I'm dropping the bull shit flag.

I put 30k miles on a welded wheel, most of it at higher than average freeway speed, Interstate 5 between San Diego and LA anyone?

There's plenty of guys on welded wheels, hell I'm intending to have a pair narrowed and another set widened to 11" this summer.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by KC&97TA View Post
    Don't let anyone tell you the weld is dangerous, I'm dropping the bull shit flag.

I put 30k miles on a welded wheel, most of it at higher than average freeway speed, Interstate 5 between San Diego and LA anyone?

There's plenty of guys on welded wheels, hell I'm intending to have a pair narrowed and another set widened to 11" this summer.
    Hell yeah... I'm having an extra set of speedline ws6 rims widen to 11 for the rear myself this summer

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I belive if it is fixed to the end of the fracture it is actually stronger after that than the rest of the untouch rim.

red
    1999 Tran-Am WS7

Quote Originally Posted by leon phelps View Post
    Most of the better balancers will stop rotating when they sense no tire is on the rim and give you an error.
    im not sure about that but it could be with certain ones. most machines dont sense if there is a tire on the wheel or not. the machine is calibrated but measuring the wheels and then when it spins, it shows the spots where to add weight for balancing. now if you dont put anything on the balancer and then drop the hood to balance it, it will show an error.

this is just an easy way that i would check for bent rims at work
    Last edited by transamdude99; 01-31-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

thanks for the advice/input. I will be having it tested to make sure there isn't any issues with it being balanced and what not. As far as if the weld is dangerous or not I'm not too concerned being it is temporary until I can get a replacement for it. Even if it takes me a while to find a different rim it's okay being that I only drive it on nice days or to meets/shows (now that I have a good DD).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information