Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Is chrome too blingy?

This is a discussion on Is chrome too blingy? within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; well, I think it's because of the old car parts were made out of cheap pot metal that has alot ...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

well, I think it's because of the old car parts were made out of cheap pot metal that has alot of pits in it, but I'm not sure if that's they only reason it happens. I have chrome exhaust tips and I was told to wax them from keeping them from pitting, so I suppose that's one way of preventing it. my dad has a '57 Chevy pickup and it starts to get pitting if we don't polish it. alot of it seems to go away if we get it right when it starts. we had a '68 Mustang and alot of the chrome on it was too far gone to polish off.

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

Good info! Ill start waxing my tips too and whatever else has chrome on it. Ive deffinatly seen this type of thing happen to other older cars that are owned by people I know.

sped
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Formula View Post
    Im referring to aftermarket rims, like corvette replicas, or TT2's.
    Ouch....

My chrome replica C6's.

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

those look good. not my favs but theyre alright.

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

one of the problems with most of the replicas is that for the most part the only finishes are chrome or gloss black. very few are machined, and sometimes they cost even more than chrome which is wiggidy-wack.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

The best way to prevent pitting is to first make sure the chrome plating is done right...it's copper, then nickel, then chrome, in that order, the nickel is the only one that isn't porous, so it must be evenly coated on the part to be covered, chrome is actually porous, and the thinnest layer of triple chrome plating. Prevent pitting by sealing and waxing it just like you would prevent oxidation to clearcoat.

Chrome needs no other care, no polish should ever have to be used on chrome, unless it has fine swirls in it from improper cleaning, new chrome needs nothing but a good sealant and wax. Also helps to not leave either rain water or tap water on it. Do not wax immediately after applying a sealant, most take 24 hours to cure.

Dirt and humidity is chrome's enemy when on steel.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I've never received any kind of negative comment about my ZO6 replicas.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I heard the triple chrome plated helps too since nickel doesn't bond to steel well, but does to the copper underneath?

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I heard the triple chrome plated helps too since nickel doesn't bond to steel well, but does to the copper underneath?

Right, that's why copper is first. It doesn't seal though, it's just there for the nickel to adhere to. Nickel is what seals, it's not a porous metal. The more clean, polished and prepped the part, the better the finished product also. Some people even polish between each stage, depending on what kind of part it is. There is also trihexavalent chrome, which fume wise is supposed to be safer, but some would argue it has more blue in the finished chrome.

Triple chrome plating is a pretty involved process, the part must go into a three different baths, for the plating, there must be just the right amount of metal in a chemical form in each bath and the right amount of electricity which depends on the size of the part, in some cases the position of the anodes would be very important, especially when the part is rounded, in order for the plating to take effect.
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 02-20-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by {FzS}BlacKMagicK View Post
    There is also trihexavalent chrome, which fume wise is supposed to be safer, but some would argue it has more blue in the finished chrome.
    hmmm, never heard of that. I'll have to look that up

sped
    Holy shit there's a lot of chemistry to chrome.

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

I saw a show on it one time. It showed the three stages, and the electricity and everything. Not super-complicated, but still, a very precise process. Very interesting.

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    Ive got chrome 17in zo6 wheels, I have never been called "Nig*erish" or "ghetto" Most people say it gives my car more of a sports car look
    dude wtf? so if you have chrome wheels your "nig" erish or ghetto, some people watch to much MTV ....bling is not chrome wheels, bling is just a word that people use.

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by NiteRiderWs6 View Post
    bling is just a word that people use.
    yeah, to desribe flashy things they own, ie: a set of chrome rims, or a watch or a necklace.
    when I started this thread my intention was to get peoples opinion on whether chrome was too fancy or flashy or ghetto or whatever, I just used "blingy" because I felt it coverd all these words.

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

first off sounds like you are caught up in what your buddies think! F-them do to the car what you think is best. research it and find pics of cars that have features that you like and add them to your car. both the camaro and t-a section have a "show off your ride" or try cardomain.com. i don't think GM was going for the Rapper market when they put 17's on the SS camaro or the z06! they just look good on the car. not to big not to small

now for my opinion--- i think tt 2's or smothies are killer on a trans-am (chrome) hell even the cragers. i wouldn't go bigger than a 18. my z has chrome z06 17's all way around. i don't like to mismatch (17front and 18 in rear) mainly because you can't rotate them. you can but it would be stupid! i have a H3 w/ 18's (16's look way to small) but i think 20's are way to big. the point is ...its all in what you like! i mean your buddies don't own it and if they didn't like your ride they can take the BUS!
    LS7 clutch,01 slave,Corsa 3" stainless exhuast,drilled/slotted rotors + ceramic pads,160 thermo,Mti clear lid,msd 8.5 wires & Ngk plugs...more to come!
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2311455

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by NiteRiderWs6 View Post
    dude wtf? so if you have chrome wheels your "nig" erish or ghetto, some people watch to much MTV ....bling is not chrome wheels, bling is just a word that people use.
    Read the post before mine, I said I have never been called Nig*erish or Ghetto. I OWN CHROME WHEELS. Chrome 22s own an F bod is Nig*erish and Ghetto.

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    Read the post before mine, I said I have never been called Nig*erish or Ghetto. I OWN CHROME WHEELS. Chrome 22s own an F bod is Nig*erish and Ghetto.
    dude u are ignorant just quit talking your making yourself look stupid, nig erish and ghetto is 22's dude get a life, just because someone has big wheels on an f-body means nothing, so your saying because im black and if i put big wheels on my car im ghetto and nig erish?? yea it may be ugly but thats theyre taste get over it and stop saying everything is ghetto, u know nothing about the ghetto, nor have u ever been there....end of convo

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    [QUOTE=hutch1999;613210]Read the post before mine, I said I have never been called Nig*erish or Ghetto. I OWN CHROME WHEELS. Chrome 22s own an F bod is Nig*erish and Ghetto.[/QUOTE

hutch man i have no problem with you at all because you have given me help on my threads and what not, but dude u have to understand i hear this sh** on daily basis and i dont think someone should be considerd nig"erish or ghetto because there diffrent

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

How am I making myself look ignorant? Dont be mad about adjectives. They are just words.

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

You guys gotta chill out. I was the first person to use the terms ni**erish and ghetto in this thread, and I was quoting a friend of mine. I am not from the ghetto, nor do I know what its like living there, I am mearly using these words to describe somthing. RELAX.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information