red
    2001 camaro z28

Can't get wheels off dam wheel locks

I need a lock removing tool does any one have one I could buy it or rent it

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

There are so many different ones it isn't funny. Go down to a GOOD tire place, they are your best bet. I ended up beating an old socket onto them to take them off and just replaced them on mine

black
    2002 ss

Or try your local dealer,they usually have a set or two of wheel lock keys to remove wheels with...Ive tried those $10 removers from autoparts stores too, they work well but its handy to have a vice so you can get the nuts back out of them once theyre removed and twisted into the socket.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Best bet, well easiest bet is to buy some cheep sockets from an auto parts store and pound them on and throw away with lock inside. Unless you have a vice like mentioned above then you can hammer it out. in that case if you local Sears has cool associates you can buy one use it and warranty it. Make sure you get 12 point will make it easier and can use it more times. Sometimes you can only get 1-2 off with a socket because it starts to get out of shape. Good luck

-00BlueTA

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 00BlueTA
    Best bet, well easiest bet is to buy some cheep sockets from an auto parts store and pound them on and throw away with lock inside. Unless you have a vice like mentioned above then you can hammer it out. in that case if you local Sears has cool associates you can buy one use it and warranty it. Make sure you get 12 point will make it easier and can use it more times. Sometimes you can only get 1-2 off with a socket because it starts to get out of shape. Good luck

-00BlueTA

Gotta love Sears

quicky06
    Other Option Is If You Have A Dremel You Have 2 Options

A. Slice A Grouve In The Top About 1/4" Deep And Try And Use A Flat Head To Get It Out(they Make Flat Heads That Atach To Ratchet)

B. You Can Use A Dremel With A Cut Off Wheel (same For Above) And Slice The Top Into 8 Sections Deep Enough So Yo Ucan See The Stud And Use A Big Screw Driver Or A Small Wedge And Split The Steel That Way.

Personally I Couldnt Use The Old Beat The Crap Outa A Socket Until It Fits Over Because My Locks Were Round With A Key That Goes Inside And In Order To Go Over The Lock The Socket Was Bigger Than The Whole.

And This Is Also Why I Now Have 4 Keys For My Locks. One By The Spare Duct Taped To The Fender, One In The Glove Compartment, One In My Room At Home And My Father Has The Other One(im 17)

black
    2002 ss

wanted : new rims

seriously though, air hammers and dremels put you one step closer to f*king up your rims. whats that worth? its still cheaper to take a cab into town and buy a wheel nut remover if your tires are flat...its Im sure pepboys or somebody sells them, theyll even take off the hardened ones no problemo, then you can keep it in your glove box for when you see those rims you always wanted in the parking lot of the puff-daddy concert.

quicky06
    ive dremmeled and split dozens of locks with out a problem you jsut have to take your time. that and i put a pubberized coating on the well that way the sparks dont hurt the wheel.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

In any way shape or form its much easier to use a socket or other means than a dremel or air hammer. Time wise and risk. The ones that are round and you might have trouble with have other means also. some that look like a star kinda patter can use a 1/2 drive extention and will remove them the ones that are kinda flat you have to be more creative but deffinatly removable if you dont feel like finding the right socket and beatin the hell outta it. The only ones in my 7 year workin at shops that i used any kind of air tools on were VW Mercedes style that are bolt style nuts. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

-00BlueTA

flat black
    pound a socket on there....i lost my wheel lock and thats what i did...ive got a 2000...those wheel lock suck anyways.....but hey miraculously when i pulled my interior apart last week i found the wheel lock...after looking for it for 2 years...i found it...it got stuck up under a kick panel

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

You can buy extra ones if you still have the card that was packaged with the lock-there is nothing worse than not being able to find it when you need it.If you are the guy trying to make a living in the shop there is nothing worse than the people that say "the what.." when you ask them where is the key.Please keep track of it or get an extra one or take them off and get regular lug nuts on there .

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Pound on a cheap socket like everyone else suggested.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Bright Rally Red
    1996 Camaro SS

Am i one of the few that just went and bought the corresponding wheel key. that seems to be so much easier.

--------- Chris - 1996 Camaro Z28SS #1524 ---------
    LT4 Cam Kit | Comp Lifters/PR's | Jet Hot LT's & ORY | Corsa RSC Exhaust | SLP Bilstiens | S-C/D Rotors | 1LE Elbow | !EGR/AIR
    madZ tune | 17x11 Chrome ZR-1's | Berger Panel | Fillins | BMR STB | Autometer A/F & Trans Temp | !Mouldings | Zaino

Thread Information