Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Brakes and Rotors

I'm going to be changing the pads and rotors on the SS soon. I am thinking I only need the fronts replaced. Car has 13,750 miles only, but is a 2002 and has seen a lot of stop/go action driving in the city limits over the years.

I haven't been able to find anything good other then the solid Brembo rotors with Hawk HPS pads.

Is this what you guys recommend? Are the Hawk HPS's the best choice? Or should I just replace with stock pads/rotors?

The car is driven on the street about 5K a year. If you can, please provide part numbers and where to buy.

Thanks!
    JD
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

first, how do you drive the car?

2nd, if you're replacing something, you might as well upgrade it. But if you're not really pushing it just put stock stuff back on it.

I have hps's and they're great.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I guess I am just wondering if there is a better stock upgrade replacement than the HPS's/Brembo rotors for the money.

I don't drive the car real hard, but I do have to make sudden slow downs/stops being I drive it mainly around town. I guess the best indication of my driving habits would be the miles I list above, the age of the car, and the stock rotors are now in need of replacement. When I had the rear wheels off cleaning them, the back brake pads still looked brand new. I haven't taken a look at the fronts yet, but I'm getting a lot of chatter during slow downs, so I know rotors need replaced at a minimum. And I might as well change pads while I am at it.

Thanks

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

how much is what you're looking at?

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I have these
    http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=7
    and the hps pads and love them! I haven't felt brake fade since I've had these. And if you need rotors in 13,000 miles, then you drive that thing HARD! More people need to be like us.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I found the Hawk HPS pads for $88 (front set) on tirerack's website. Not sure on the Brembo blank rotors yet.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

$140 for front brembos on that site i gave you and $87 for the pads. For the way I drive I prefer slotted rotors. That's why I got them. And they're German, that means they have to be good and they are so far.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Nice! Thanks for the info.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Baer front cross-drilled & slotted rotor's with AKEBONO STREET PERFORMANCE pads .Pads from Tire Rack at $86.00 set.
    These pads are the absolute best I have ever used . No dust ! I said ,"NO DUST" on my chrome wheels even after weeks of driving , the wheels look and feel clean .Initial bite with these pads is nite & day difference compared with the factory ceramic pads . Using the steel jacketed brake lines & fresh hi-performance brake fluid my Z now has the perfect pedal feel that gives you the confidence needed for HD street performance .Period!

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I'm going to be changing the pads and rotors on the SS soon. I am thinking I only need the fronts replaced. Car has 13,750 miles only, but is a 2002 and has seen a lot of stop/go action driving in the city limits over the years.

I haven't been able to find anything good other then the solid Brembo rotors with Hawk HPS pads.

Is this what you guys recommend? Are the Hawk HPS's the best choice? Or should I just replace with stock pads/rotors?

The car is driven on the street about 5K a year. If you can, please provide part numbers and where to buy.

Thanks!
    JD
    If your rotors are not warped then just change the pads! I just put on Hawks pads and there smoooooooth.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Is this what you guys recommend?
    What you mentioned.

That is what will go on mine when I need it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Thanks for chiming in Curtis. Not sure if I've seen ya around lately, but the synchros in the trans went power shifting into 4th racing a WS6 last Sunday. Trans is at RPM and decided to get the Spec Stage 3+ while I had it out. $$$$ Just what I needed. Hopefully this will be the end of her treating me badly lol.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Thanks for chiming in Curtis. Not sure if I've seen ya around lately, but the synchros in the trans went power shifting into 4th racing a WS6 last Sunday. Trans is at RPM and decided to get the Spec Stage 3+ while I had it out. $$$$ Just what I needed. Hopefully this will be the end of her treating me badly lol.
    Always something isn't it??

SPEC 4+ is on the way for mine.

Thread Information