Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

BFG g-force Sport tires or Kumho Ecsta?

Looking for feedback on BFG or Kumho tires. I'm looking at BFG gforce Sport Comp-2 or gforce Super Sport A/S. I do mostly DD including street and highway on my firebird. I currently have michellin's pilot A/S but they didn't last me long enough(close to 18k) and i payed around $200 per tire.

For Kumho I got the option of the Ecsta AST or ASX. I never heard about these Kumho tires. I'm looking for a decent mid range tire for about $100-$140 total. I live in Fl so no snow. I do see alot of reviews about the BFG getting very loud after several miles.

I will appreciate some feedback about BFG and Kumhos, good or bad. The tire size i have is 245/50/ZR16 in stock 5 spoke chrome wheels.Thanks.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I have the AST's on my car. They do a pretty good job, both when it's dry and when it's wet. I haven't ever noticed any road noise due to them, either. Overall they are good tires for a daily driver.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I had the G-force sports and the Kumho Ecsta, Hands down the G-force sports were better in every aspect.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post
    I had the G-force sports and the Kumho Ecsta, Hands down the G-force sports were better in every aspect.
    Did you noticed any increased road noise during the life of the tire?

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Nope not really.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

when they refer to summer tires that means it covers rain too right? i know a/s tires are for any condition but I just need dry and wet.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Yes, they will be fine in the rain. I never really drove my car in the rain but the few times I did I never had any issues.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

ok I'm opting to get BFG's so far.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I am too. I have to replace my KDW's and I don't like the new tread pattern. And anyone I can find with the old tread pattern are practically holding them hostage. I am leaning toward the Sport Comp II right now.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

same here comp 2 as well

I run the BFG Sports on 2 4th gens, and had them on my previous 3rd gen as well. They have been on my wifes car for the last 5 years and about 40-45,000 miles.

Love these tires, no road noise at all so I'm not sure where that complaint came from (maybe someone that doesn't rotate their tires???)

I actually liked them over other tires because they have more sidewall width compared to other brands of the same size, so they give the appearance of being a little wider (they buldge more from the rim) and also give me a little more piece of mind knowing I have some cushion to protect against possible curb rash.
    Check the actual measurement specs between tires and you'll see what I mean. They list them on Tire Rack.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I just had a set of the Comp 2's slapped on today. Haven't really had a chance to test them out other than normal street driving yet. They felt pretty good going through the canyon on the way home though.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

cool. im getting mine friday next week. I might need to buy 4. the rear ones are getting low too.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Well I just got two BFG Gforce comp 2 in the fronts. So far they drive nice. I have a little ways to go in my rear so I will wait until they need to be raplce to get the other two.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I've put a few more miles on the Camaro and I think I'm liking the Comp 2's just fine

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yeah they are good so far. im feeling a slight vibration but ir feels like its on the rear. the tires are on the front. I might go back to make sure they didnt lose a weight.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    when they refer to summer tires that means it covers rain too right? i know a/s tires are for any condition but I just need dry and wet.
    Summer tires are a much softer compound designed for maximum traction on dry surfaces. They may be OK on wet as well, but you won't get nearly as much life out of them in the DD role as you would an all weather tire. I have a second set of Kumhos on my Z28. The first were summer tires and they melted away like butter. The present ones are all weather and they seem to be very durable. I was also pleased with the Yokohamas that I had on it. Stay away from Avons, however. They got a really good review from Tire Rack, but their tread also disappeared quickly. Never had BFGs on my Camaro, but I've got the BFG RWL Radial T/As on my 69 Mustang and I think they suck in comparison to the Firestone Firehawks I had on it previously.
    Last edited by RagTop; 06-29-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RagTop View Post
    Summer tires are a much softer compound designed for maximum traction on dry surfaces. They may be OK on wet as well, but you won't get nearly as much life out of them in the DD role as you would an all weather tire. I have a second set of Kumhos on my Z28. The first were summer tires and they melted away like butter. The present ones are all weather and they seem to be very durable. I was also pleased with the Yokohamas that I had on it. Stay away from Avons, however. They got a really good review from Tire Rack, but their tread also disappeared quickly. Never had BFGs on my Camaro, but I've got the BFG RWL Radial T/As on my 69 Mustang and I think they suck in comparison to the Firestone Firehawks I had on it previously.
    I have a slight difference of opinion on some of that. The BFG T/A's I run on several cars here and have had absolutely no issues and I've used them since the early 80's, pretty good tire that looks good on a classic muscle car (and if not mistaken are owned or have partial affiliation with Michelin which is a top brand tire). I run the factory Goodyear F70-14 polyglas tires on my 69 mustang, and honestly I'm a big fan of the old bias ply tires, the car drives pretty darn nice with them.
    I ran the Firestone Firehawks on one of our 4th gens but frankly I've shy'd away from Firestone ever since they had serious tire problems around the turn of the century that killed alot of people.
    Just recently had a front tire explosion myself with a cheap set of China tires that were on a truck I recently purchased. They seperated at 75 mph, just a week before I had planned to buy a new set simply because I didn't like the tires. They actually had about 50% life left. I now run Michelins on that truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have a slight difference of opinion on some of that. The BFG T/A's I run on several cars here and have had absolutely no issues and I've used them since the early 80's, pretty good tire that looks good on a classic muscle car (and if not mistaken are owned or have partial affiliation with Michelin which is a top brand tire). I run the factory Goodyear F70-14 polyglas tires on my 69 mustang, and honestly I'm a big fan of the old bias ply tires, the car drives pretty darn nice with them.
    I ran the Firestone Firehawks on one of our 4th gens but frankly I've shy'd away from Firestone ever since they had serious tire problems around the turn of the century that killed alot of people.
    Just recently had a front tire explosion myself with a cheap set of China tires that were on a truck I recently purchased. They seperated at 75 mph, just a week before I had planned to buy a new set simply because I didn't like the tires. They actually had about 50% life left. I now run Michelins on that truck.

Actually I have to correct myself, I do still have Firestones on one vehicle, I forgot that I had just recently bought tires for my old 79 1 ton pickup. It was the only tire manufacture that still makes the factory size tire for that truck (16.5x9.5). I don't drive it often and completely forgot.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

got the tires re balanced and it seems the vibration is gone. I just noticed my wife's car had BFG on her car. The front tires were extremely noisy like the bearings were bad. We just got a new set tires for her car and we picked BFG's again. The noise is completely gone. It seems the BFG's get noisy when the thread is getting low. She had like 3/32 left in them but they had a lot of dry rot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information