Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Best tires for the money

This is a discussion on Best tires for the money within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Anyone ever use BFG G-Force Sports?? I was considering buying them last time I bought tires, but the price was ...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Anyone ever use BFG G-Force Sports?? I was considering buying them last time I bought tires, but the price was much higher than the Nittos I got, and they didn't have the size I wanted for the rear.

Black SS SLP#8834
    2002 35th Anniversary LS1

I rather use American brand tires than FujiTomoNittoHankookToyoKhumoYokohamaBridgestone tires. Wake up!

I'm sticking to Goodyear Eagle F1 Tires. They are great in my opinion and I dont give a rats azz about drifting. Dumb!

Just ranting because the hard earned money we give to these foreign companies is killing American jobs. Hmm... where is Hummer and their meaty knobby tires going to? China! WTF

Up here in the Northeast it doesn't matter what tire you use in the snow but then again I'd never drive my precious SS in it either.

Oh...best tires for the money? Goodyear GSD3's or Dunlop Maxx GT for overall superior dry road handling, grip and rim protection.

I need to find the girlfriend...

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Riken raptors. I run the stock 275/40/17 size and for the price you cant lose. great tread wear, i have about 10,000 miles on mine with another 8 left and i slam gears every time i get in my car, and like to get sideways more often than go straight. They provide decent enough grip to get the job done so no worries there. Imo, best tire for the price. Unless your willing to pay for high end stuff, this is the route to go. Working in a tire shop ive dealt with people who run all kinds of tires, and every time i end up recommending the riken rubber after hearing the issues they have.

bluegreen
    99 trans am

ive got michelin pilot sports on mine and they are pretty damn good, but as noted are a little pricey but then again i work at a shop that sells tires

White
    1998 Trans Am

I got 22" Nankangs on my Trailblazer and there the best tire I've had yet. Mu kumho's on my TA are crap. I'm going with Sumitumo HTRZ2's from tire rack 104 for the 245/40 and 109 for the 285/35r18's each.
    Try www.tires-easy.com mu buddy got a killer deal on some 18's for his Lexus SC $300 shipped for all 4
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99 ta View Post
    ive got michelin pilot sports on mine and they are pretty damn good, but as noted are a little pricey but then again i work at a shop that sells tires
    i have the same, yes they are expensive but i love them, almost no wear in 2 years of driving

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

BFG KDW's!
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Nitto NT555's. They are very grippy tires, great for traction, and they still have a 300 treadwear rating. You can get them in 18" starting at around $130, depending on dimensions.
    Care to share where you saw this price at? They are $179/piece over by me and this is for a 17" 275/40 tire.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

NT555's

I actually got NITTO NT555 W rated 245/45/17's for $103 when I bought all four. I was going to get Falken GRB FK 452's For $133 each but the owner of the tire store told me the Nitto's had a better contact patch with a wider shoulder. My buddy has F1's on his Cobra and hates them. The contact patch on the Eagle F1 is pathetic & the sidewalls are flimsy. He also said that Nitto true tests all of their tires before they leave the factory and they balance better, IE less wheel weights which helps in the unsprung weight department. Said he runs them personally on his S2000 and you know he could run anything for cost. I am pleased with them so far. WAY more grip than the factory BFG's on dry pavement. They are a dry traction tire so they say. My wet experience was going WOT at 65 in a drizzle and broke them loose but when it's sunny they're good to go.
    There is an underlying integrity factor here. He talked me out of spending MORE money for what he considered to be a less adequate tire, that's a rare occasion!
    Last edited by Goat-E; 06-18-2009 at 06:21 AM.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

As a general rule there is very little difference between the amount of weight different brands require, though BFG's seem to be the exception, I wouldnt recommend choosing a tire under that pretense. For those of you running cheap tires on your cars(you know who you are!) what kind of mileage are you getting out of them just curious.......

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Care to share where you saw this price at? They are $179/piece over by me and this is for a 17" 275/40 tire.
    Got them from a local Tire & Gas place near me. They are very popular and do a ton of business, which is why they usually have the best prices around.

I only paid $132 each for my 245/40/18 fronts and $172 each for my 285/35/18 rears. I've never seen them for that cheap online though.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

OK

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    As a general rule there is very little difference between the amount of weight different brands require, though BFG's seem to be the exception, I wouldnt recommend choosing a tire under that pretense. For those of you running cheap tires on your cars(you know who you are!) what kind of mileage are you getting out of them just curious.......
    Only being able to judge by your ambiguous platform, would you be speaking to me sir?
    Does the term "inexpensive" culminate idealisims unto yourself of inadequacy? I beg to differ. Having worked in the retail sector of the human experience for some time I will unabashedly make these statements "There are two kinds of prices. 1: What it's worth. 2:What you are able to convince somebody it's worth paying for it." I would elaborate further but I'm Krunked & I have a hot hunnie begging for my attention. I bid you good day.

Electric Blue Pearlcoat
    1995 Trans Am(LS1 Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    Only being able to judge by your ambiguous platform, would you be speaking to me sir?
    Does the term "inexpensive" culminate idealisims unto yourself of inadequacy? I beg to differ. Having worked in the retail sector of the human experience for some time I will unabashedly make these statements "There are two kinds of prices. 1: What it's worth. 2:What you are able to convince somebody it's worth paying for it." I would elaborate further but I'm Krunked & I have a hot hunnie begging for my attention. I bid you good day.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    Oh I do love the view from my platform. I believe you missed my first post stating that expensive doesnt mean the best but cheap aint always the way to go. My Toyo Proxes4 are a perfect example of that they have great dry traction but love to hydroplane. So Mr. Salesman(had to shorten your description of yourself) with that being said wouldn't you also agree that as a general rule you DO get what you pay for? However, dont misinterpret my question I understand that not everyone can afford Michelins but you don't need to scrape the bottom of the barrel either, especially with a vehicle thats capable of doing 140+ with ease. Have fun with your hunnie I'm gonna go get plastered P.S. I'm still waiting to see how many miles people are getting out of their cheaper tires.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Value

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Oh I do love the view from my platform. I believe you missed my first post stating that expensive doesnt mean the best but cheap aint always the way to go. My Toyo Proxes4 are a perfect example of that they have great dry traction but love to hydroplane. So Mr. Salesman(had to shorten your description of yourself) with that being said wouldn't you also agree that as a general rule you DO get what you pay for? However, dont misinterpret my question I understand that not everyone can afford Michelins but you don't need to scrape the bottom of the barrel either, especially with a vehicle thats capable of doing 140+ with ease. Have fun with your hunnie I'm gonna go get plastered P.S. I'm still waiting to see how many miles people are getting out of their cheaper tires.
    Some things are more hype than tech. Budweiser (Worked for them for 6.5 years) dose tons of promotion but their product isn't all that great. I've never been terribly impressed with Goodyear but Bridgestone is probably the best tire you cay buy technology wise buy they cost much $. But after doing much research into this if it's bang for buck you want I would say Falken makes a great wet tire with really stiff sidewalls FK452. The Nitto's get sticky quick & have a better contact patch, although their sidewall isn't as stiff & wet traction is suspect NT555. Outside of that most other "bargain" tires aren't that exciting.
    PS: My sales days are long over. I drive a gasoline tanker now. When I was selling it was Chevrolet. I was a suspension, alignment & tire guy in my early 20's so I know some things. I've been in transportation for 7 years now & was a heavy truck mechanic for 3 years. Any questions about truck tires (Yokohama)?
    Last edited by Goat-E; 06-22-2009 at 02:28 AM.

Falken ziex 512. 129 each with a 55,000 mile warranty!!which is insane for low pro tires
    here's the tread design

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Options

I would agree with garcia2002 but for the fact that the ZEIX is an all season tire with a harder compound than the 555 or 452 whereby allowing for longer tread life but not as much grip potential as the tires I mentioned. I had a set of 512's on my Passat and they were adequate but nowhere close to the FK451's (the 451's wore really fast due to their soft compound. The 452 has been improved to allow a longer tread life) that I had prior to them. The 452 also has a stiffer reinforced sidewall than the 512 or 912. The 555 has a broader shoulder than both Falkens which puts a wider foot on the ground. Plus I believe that the 512 is out of production and only available in limited quantity and sizing. I was considering a set of them for the GTO but they told me my size was not available and that the alternative was the new asymmetrical ZEIX 912 who's contact patch is pretty bleak. 912's have damn near the same tread as the OEM BFG's which wouldn't hook up for shit. Don't look at the front tires on my ride the backs are the originals. I tossed the fronts because I hate mix & match tires, it makes the car's tracking all outta whack. Especially over drawbridge grates of which we have many here.
    Last edited by Goat-E; 06-21-2009 at 06:28 AM.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Just finished a set of Falken Ziex 512's
    26,300 miles & no grip for the last 12,000. Crappiest & most dangerous tire I've ever owned.

Replaced them with a set of Nexen S3000's from Discount Tire $501.63 installed.....we'll see how they go.
    Found them online for $94.50 each & they matched what they would cost, ship, mount & balance.
    Last edited by rbob93; 06-21-2009 at 08:03 AM.

Silver
    1995 Trans Am Convertable

Got a set of Kumhos little stiffer in the ride, do well in weather, rain, snow. Louder and they are screamers.

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by That1SpeedFreak View Post
    Riken raptors. I run the stock 275/40/17 size and for the price you cant lose. great tread wear, i have about 10,000 miles on mine with another 8 left and i slam gears every time i get in my car, and like to get sideways more often than go straight. They provide decent enough grip to get the job done so no worries there. Imo, best tire for the price. Unless your willing to pay for high end stuff, this is the route to go. Working in a tire shop ive dealt with people who run all kinds of tires, and every time i end up recommending the riken rubber after hearing the issues they have.
    I have these on my car and have had good luck w/ them. I always ran 1000.00+ worth of goodyear rsa's to this point. With the rsa's i hydroed above 65 in rain. The raptors are fantastic in rain, absolutely no hydroplaning at reasonable speeds. Grip pretty well also. Don't know about wear though. Only got 6000 miles on them sofar. I did get caught in a freak snowstorm after a concert and put it sideways down the highway at 43 mph. No good in snow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information