Results 1 to 15 of 15

Best Polish for Polished Aluminum Wheels?

This is a discussion on Best Polish for Polished Aluminum Wheels? within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; I just bought some new wheels for my 2001 WS6 Trans Am..I bought the polished aluminum Torq Thrust II's..What's the ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mokena, Illinois
    Posts
    80

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

    Best Polish for Polished Aluminum Wheels?

    I just bought some new wheels for my 2001 WS6 Trans Am..I bought the polished aluminum Torq Thrust II's..What's the best polish out there to use for these type of wheels? I've heard that Mother's Power Metal works good.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mokena, Illinois
    Posts
    80

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

    Anyone??

  3. #3
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Mothers Billet, I have tried the majority of them and its hands down the best.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

  4. #4
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Get the mini power ball...loving mine

  5. #5
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    Wax if thier clear coated

  6. #6
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Mothers Billet, I have tried the majority of them and its hands down the best.

  7. #7
    400rwhp::370rwtq Lucky 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Little Elm, TX
    Posts
    343

    Black
    2002 T/A WS.6 -- ASC#12

    x3 mothers billet

  8. #8
    Senior Member GULLETT17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    2,554

    00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

    ive have mothers billet, and, for whatever reason, i see no difference from regular mothers aluminum polish.
    now i buy the large can of regular mothers @ $8, compared to the small one of billet for $15
    (and sorry allbaugh) but stay away from the powerball, there are way better buffs out there than that cheap foam junk.
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 04-20-2009 at 10:48 AM.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    ive have mothers billet, and, for whatever reason, i see no difference from regular mothers aluminum polish.
    now i buy the large can of regular mothers @ $8, compared to the small one of billet for $15
    (and sorry allbaugh) but stay away from the powerball, there are way better buffs out there than that cheap foam junk.
    Billet Polish is not always going to bring an appreciable difference in shine -- it takes a careful eye and quality billet or forged aluminum to see a difference in some cases. If your situation doesn't warrant it, by all means the Mag & Aluminum Polish does a great job, as does the PowerMetal. I've tried all three and it sometimes takes my prescription lenses and good lighting to see a difference on some alloys, but on billet and forged it's a little more clear.

    The PowerBall is a great time- and effort-saving applicator. Granted, it's not a high-speed buffer, but with that understood, what is it you don't like about the PowerBall and under what circumstances?

  10. #10
    Make real real sure Johns00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    Black
    2000 Z-28

    Is the powerball just for the application of polish or can you buff it out with it too? I have been applying the polish with a microfiber towel as well as buffing with it.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    Is the powerball just for the application of polish or can you buff it out with it too? I have been applying the polish with a microfiber towel as well as buffing with it.
    The PowerBall products are for application -- effectively they replace applying/polishing by hand.

    Use the PowerBall with your favorite metal polish until you get a buttery black residue and the shine looks right. Remove while wet with a microfiber or soft terry towel. Repeat if necessary.

    If you let the polish dry, you're asking for more work than is necessary, so work a section at a time. If the polish does happen to dry, try some instant detailer or apply a little more polish to soften it up.

    There's also a new cone-shaped "ball" you can see a video at http://www.motherspowercone.com

  12. #12
    Senior Member GULLETT17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    2,554

    00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
    Billet Polish is not always going to bring an appreciable difference in shine -- it takes a careful eye and quality billet or forged aluminum to see a difference in some cases. If your situation doesn't warrant it, by all means the Mag & Aluminum Polish does a great job, as does the PowerMetal. I've tried all three and it sometimes takes my prescription lenses and good lighting to see a difference on some alloys, but on billet and forged it's a little more clear.

    The PowerBall is a great time- and effort-saving applicator. Granted, it's not a high-speed buffer, but with that understood, what is it you don't like about the PowerBall and under what circumstances?
    thats what i figured . . . probably the grade of aluminum wheels i polish are the reason i dont notice a difference between the two.

    As for the powerball, I used my mini only a hand full of times applying polish on my wheels. And already, the top half of the fragile foam has almost completely ripped off. And for a comparison, the aluminum polishing kit from harbor freight i use now, which includes 6 various buffs and 5 felt cones, cost less for all than the one powerball, all buffs have lasted way longer, and i see better results.

  13. #13
    Member devildogws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Monticello MN
    Posts
    683

    Black
    2000 trans am ws6

    powerball is for application and the polishing part NOT the buffing it out lol, and i tried the new meguiares alum polish and it does work better than mothers!!

  14. #14
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Well i just bought my powerball It works for me..

  15. #15
    Senior Member GULLETT17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    2,554

    00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Well i just bought my powerball It works for me..
    well maybe i got a bad one. . . but friends of mine have had similar experiences. if you do have trouble with it, go this route:

    or something similar because i'm sure this isnt the only kit like it available

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2 WS6 Polished aluminum wheels
    By Hi-Po in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 02:31 PM
  2. Best polish for stock Polished alum. wheels?
    By Kup98ss in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 05:11 PM
  3. Where to find polished aluminum ZR-1 wheels
    By bdford in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 10:09 AM
  4. Polished Aluminum Wheels Stained!
    By thelastz28 in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 07:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •