Results 1 to 12 of 12

Best bang for the buck for 275 tires?

This is a discussion on Best bang for the buck for 275 tires? within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; We all know performance isn't cheap, but I was wondering what the tire gurus recommended. I just want a good ...

  1. #1
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,779

    06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Best bang for the buck for 275 tires?

    We all know performance isn't cheap, but I was wondering what the tire gurus recommended. I just want a good performing 275/45-17. Doesn't have too be an all weather tire either. My TA is only a weekend driver now. I've been checking out tire rack lately, but I'm in no major rush.

    I don't want to overpay for a tire when a cheaper one will perform just as good. Any recommendations?

  2. #2
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    I ran BFG G-Force Sports and KD2s when I first bought my 18 inch rims. Now I am running Nitto NT555 Extremes and they are pretty good. I run 275s in the rear. If I recall, Discount Tire wanted $180 for each rear tire.

  3. #3
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    We all know performance isn't cheap, but I was wondering what the tire gurus recommended. I just want a good performing 275/45-17. Doesn't have too be an all weather tire either. My TA is only a weekend driver now. I've been checking out tire rack lately, but I'm in no major rush.

    I don't want to overpay for a tire when a cheaper one will perform just as good. Any recommendations?
    Any reason you are going with a 45 sidewall? 40 is OEM for the WS6.

    I just looked at tire racks website. There appears to be a lot of good options on there for decent prices. The continental extreme contact DW appears to be the best bang for the buck but I don't have an experience with that tire. I live in South Bend (Tire Rack's Headquarters) and went in to the Tire Rack and they suggested the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 for my CTS-V. The KDW IIs are an extremely solid tire. I was happy with mine while I had them. I have also heard good things about the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500. There are probably a few others I would look into as well.

  4. #4
    Senior Member REVNORR82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NEW ALBANY
    Posts
    1,462

    silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

    I run the nitto 555 extremes I know a few people who like kumos. Check ebay got a steal on my tires for my truck and car.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

    2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

  5. #5
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    Nitto nt 555 extreme zr.the best tire period. discounttiredirect.com
    2007 Corvette...stock...

  6. #6
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,779

    06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I ran BFG G-Force Sports and KD2s when I first bought my 18 inch rims. Now I am running Nitto NT555 Extremes and they are pretty good. I run 275s in the rear. If I recall, Discount Tire wanted $180 for each rear tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    Any reason you are going with a 45 sidewall? 40 is OEM for the WS6.

    I just looked at tire racks website. There appears to be a lot of good options on there for decent prices. The continental extreme contact DW appears to be the best bang for the buck but I don't have an experience with that tire. I live in South Bend (Tire Rack's Headquarters) and went in to the Tire Rack and they suggested the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 for my CTS-V. The KDW IIs are an extremely solid tire. I was happy with mine while I had them. I have also heard good things about the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500. There are probably a few others I would look into as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by REVNORR82 View Post
    I run the nitto 555 extremes I know a few people who like kumos. Check ebay got a steal on my tires for my truck and car.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    Nitto nt 555 extreme zr.the best tire period. discounttiredirect.com

    Nitto 555 extreme $157.00 on discount tire. Reviews look great. Looks like my next tires will be the Nittos for sure. Great buy for the quality.Thanks guys.

    btw I'll be running a 40 not 45 sidewall. Mistyped earlier.

  7. #7
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    excellent choice,they have been on the ceta for a year now and are simply the best tire i have ever put on it,great in rain too.short burnout at the track and they HOOK!

  8. #8
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    I always forget about nitto. I wish they made them in the size I need.

  9. #9
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Aaron - I just put a set of (4) new Continental Extreme DW's on the Impala. Total cost was around $1000. Then again, the Impala has 18's so the cost was a little more. Every review I read online about them was positive so I pulled the trigger. Discount Tire salesman said they were a solid tire and he sold a lot of them. So far, no complaints. They handled great in that snow storm we got a few weeks back. We'll see how the wear pans out in time.

  10. #10
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Aaron - I just put a set of (4) new Continental Extreme DW's on the Impala. Total cost was around $1000. Then again, the Impala has 18's so the cost was a little more. Every review I read online about them was positive so I pulled the trigger. Discount Tire salesman said they were a solid tire and he sold a lot of them. So far, no complaints. They handled great in that snow storm we got a few weeks back. We'll see how the wear pans out in time.
    That's amazing the difference between 17s and 18s. The Conti's in 275/40/17 on Tirerack total $628. Based on customer ratings they rank number 1 in their category in that size. Seems to me they are a very solid tire and I have a feeling you will be happy with them.

  11. #11
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    I mainly got them because of their wear rating. They OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A's got an astonishing 80,000 miles on them before they were totally gone. Going to shoot around 60K with these, even though there are rated for only 50,000 miles.

    And yes, tell me about it. They were actually even more, but I got a little discount from the guy and DT was actually about $15/tire cheaper than the other local tires stores. Oh, and I also got the lifetime warranty with no pro-rate, which ran about $20/tire.

    Tread pattern on them is pretty aggressive. He said they blew the door's of the Goodyear Eagle GT's if anyone has any experience with those. He also said the new Yoko tire was solid.

  12. #12
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I mainly got them because of their wear rating. They OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A's got an astonishing 80,000 miles on them before they were totally gone. Going to shoot around 60K with these, even though there are rated for only 50,000 miles.

    And yes, tell me about it. They were actually even more, but I got a little discount from the guy and DT was actually about $15/tire cheaper than the other local tires stores. Oh, and I also got the lifetime warranty with no pro-rate, which ran about $20/tire.

    Tread pattern on them is pretty aggressive. He said they blew the door's of the Goodyear Eagle GT's if anyone has any experience with those. He also said the new Yoko tire was solid.
    80,000 miles is ridiculous. That's an awesome tread life. If I still have the V in the Spring I am going to have to do some summer tire shopping so it's good to start thinking along those lines.

    So far, I love my Yoko ADVAN Sports I have on the SS but I only have roughly 1,000 miles on them. I hope I continue to like them because I shelled out some serious money for those. At the same, time I was very limited in options for the sizes I wanted and I wasn't going to buy junk.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best Bang for Buck Kit?
    By GottaHaveLS1 in forum Nitrous
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 11:48 PM
  2. Best bang for the buck!
    By sweet_revenge in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 06:11 AM
  3. Bang for the buck
    By cowstandmoto in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 10:45 AM
  4. Best bang for my buck??
    By kjvail1204 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 04:35 AM
  5. Bang For the Buck LS1
    By formula_power in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •