White
    2001 RS Camaro

Anyone painted their rims before?

I have the stock SS rims off a 95 Camaro and they're already painted white and the paint is chipping. They're not powder coated and the paint isn't even on the inner part of the spokes. What do I need to do as far as prep work and what is the best paint/method of application to use? I was planning on painting them with the tires on them and just let some of the air out and tape them up good.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    I have the stock SS rims off a 95 Camaro and they're already painted white and the paint is chipping. They're not powder coated and the paint isn't even on the inner part of the spokes. What do I need to do as far as prep work and what is the best paint/method of application to use? I was planning on painting them with the tires on them and just let some of the air out and tape them up good.
    I've never painted rims before personally. Mostly because rattle can painted rims don't hold up usually.. But as far as removel, I've used laqiur(sp) enamel paint remover before. I used the "Eco" friendly stuff as it's not as harsh on alloy as some of the other chemicals can be. Some chemicals will discolor the metal..
    My reason was for doing a high gloss polishing though.

IMHO, your best bet would be to have them powder coated. If your short on cash, then I'd also add wait and save up for it..
    It's well worth the results and the wait.. But it's up to you..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-25-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

I painted my old C6 polish wheels. If you have any paint places in your area that sell real car paint they might have a couple spray cans of some legit spray paint you can buy, thats what i did. The stuff you can buy at walmart or autozone is pure shit and will come off after a few washes. All i did was sand them down real good, primer them, then give them 2-3 coats of the paint. Mine held up up for a long time until i sold them.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Get them powdercoated, you'll thank me later.

I painted my drag wheels for my GTP and the paint is already peeling and they're just sitting there. My powdercoated ZR1 wheels are holding up going on 4 years and they get washed every other week.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Get them powdercoated, you'll thank me later.

I painted my drag wheels for my GTP and the paint is already peeling and they're just sitting there. My powdercoated ZR1 wheels are holding up going on 4 years and they get washed every other week.
    I would if I had the money but I just got laid off.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I painted steel wheels for a 78 camaro. I bought the wheels new. Once I removed the oil coating with some simple green and water it was just a matter of a few coats of paint and clear.
    2 coats of color and 2 of clear lasted about 6 years of spring, summer, fall driving before showing wear and needing a repaint.
    The paint and clear were rustoleum from a big box store.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

prep, prep, prep
    if the paint on there is chipping you need to get it all off, I suggest aircraft paint stripper/remover. Follow the directions on the can, it works well. it will take a few applications to get the majority of the paint off. Once it's stripped sand and or scotchbrite pad every surface you are painting, especially nooks and seams. Use a painting prep agent of some kind to remove all oils.

Use a good wheel primer and I'd go with 2 light coats of primer, allowing plenty of drying time between. possibly a light sand and recoat of primer if you notice any issues. then 3+ light coats of color to your taste (2+ coats of clear if you want over that)

I'd put 1 whole coat front and rear on at once so it seals around each entire spoke, if you're painting the entire rim 1 color (no polished lip look or anything) I'd set the rims on end (like when they are on the car and can roll)on a couple 2x4's or something similar (on the inside of the rim) so you can get front and back at the same time (start with back) and so the actual rim lips won't touch the ground, you can also roll the rim on the 2x4's to make sure you get all the angles.

take your time, go overkill on prep work it is the most important part of the process. allow plenty of drying time between coats. more thin coats are better that 1 heavy coat. try to work in as clean as an environment as you can, the less dust in the air or bugs flying around the fewer inprofections you'l have in the paint job.

Thread Information