Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ABS probs!! caused me 2 wrecks now.

This is a discussion on ABS probs!! caused me 2 wrecks now. within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Clutch in and then brake...!!!...

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Clutch in and then brake...!!!

Red
    1998 Z28 6-speed

Both of my wrecks were unforseen circumstances. One was in foggy weather and there was a big rig tire laying in the road. i got on the brakes a little bit tryin to figure out what it was then pushed a little harder and i imediatly looped. I think i might have another issue along with the rim sizes. I do know i have ceramic pads in the front and metallics in the back could that have anything to do with it? Oh and the other wreck somone cut me off on the freeway and then they hit their brakes. I basically got brake checked and i could either bury the nose of my car in their ass or dive on the brakes. I think im just gonna do new pads and rotors all the way around and get a new set of wheels 18's all the way around. I just dont know if the 18's will clear in the front because i have the eibach sportline 2" drop. My current tire sizes are 245/40/17 and 275/40/18

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I understand you need to stay with the same overall diameter,,,what I am saying is it becomes more difficult to do so when throwing a larger diameter rim on the back, then you have to get creative with tires sizes to make up the difference,,,then one wheel has more sidewall than the other, and things start looking out of whack. Why bother? Just stick with the same rim size front to back and be done with it. Or if someone just has to have it this way,,,then disable the ABS and learn how to drive.

Cobrahunter,,,that cracked me up, I can't imagine how anyone can come to the conclusion these things look like 4x4's with room for mud bogging tires. That sounds like the kid talking in you,,,seems the younger crowd wants these things scraping the ground.....All 3 of my F bodies are stock height, with stock tires, and I only see maybe 2 inches between the tire and the fender,,,in no way can I comprehend thinking it needs a larger tire.

Of course I am an old man that don't think like the youngin's nowadays, I prefer alot of sidewall and plenty of ground clearance. Larry.
    Yea too old haha jk larry

i personally think they look way too high without lower springs but since my new exhaust scrapes so much i am going to be getting a new suspension setup here soon to fix it

Hahaha,,,hey man hows it going? Ready for spring?

Silver
    2002 Z28

Well I am ready to come home from coop back to cincy for spring, so then I can take my car to daves, and he can get it ready for spring/summer haha. I need my suspension and brakes all redone, a few more tweaks on my exhaust, and then putting some dynamat down because the exhaust is a bit loud. But other than that, definately ready. Looking forward to meeting you up at one of the Milford cruise inns.

black
    2000 ws6

dude, you dont need abs... and i personally dont really like it, especially in snow. Learn how to properly modulate your brakes and youll b fine. i know its hard, but dont just panic and press the brake as hard as you can when you need to stop.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

WOW! Most of you don't understand the benifits of ABS. I learned how to drive in vehicles that had horrible brake control. After driving a vehicle with ABS, I instantly loved it. ESPECIALLY IN THE SNOW! You can not modulate your brakes front and back like ABS can. When you get into a jam, you will be glad you have it.

Nope you are right, I never understood the benefits, and don't have interest in it. Too expensive to work on for my tastes. I learned to drive in a 56 nomad with manual drum brakes, manual steering and a 4 speed, still have that car today. Drove it through the snow and all years ago,,,I never had a problem. Still prefer regular old brakes. If the ABS ever gives me a problem on the 02 my way of fixing it is ripping that crap off

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Nope you are right, I never understood the benefits, and don't have interest in it. Too expensive to work on for my tastes. I learned to drive in a 56 nomad with manual drum brakes, manual steering and a 4 speed, still have that car today. Drove it through the snow and all years ago,,,I never had a problem. Still prefer regular old brakes. If the ABS ever gives me a problem on the 02 my way of fixing it is ripping that crap off
    Larry, if you still prefer drum brakes, there are some serious issues haha

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Thats how old guys stay in shape, having to stand on the brakes! j/k

LOL,,,that hillarious. Yep those brakes give you a workout trying to slow down a 4,000 + lbs. car with 4 drums.
    Ya I love those brakes,,,simple to work on,,,cheap cheap cheap to buy parts for, and just all around never give me any problems. LOL.
    I must be an old geaser. Larry.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Yes, If the design was broke in the first place then its cheap to fix etc Larry haha. Lets get back to the topic here of how bad a driver this guy is and that is not ABS problems lol

Black-Gold
    93 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    Here's what I've got.

17x9.5 Motorsport Z06 up front

Click for full size

Bad picture...
    I really like those, been thinking about getting some black ones for my car....but I'm wanting 17x9.5's on all four corners. Just out of curiousity, whats the backspacing and where did you get yours?
    Sorry, didnt mean to get off topic. After having a ride without ABS and having one with it....I'd never be without it again....at least not if were available on what I was buying. I think of it more as a extra safety tool, but like others have mentioned...I try to drive with sense and not to rely solely on the ABS.
    Last edited by LarryMow; 03-26-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Larry:

I'm not sure what the backspacing was...it's been a while since I ordered them. I ordered them through my local speed shop.

Motorsport Z06 wheels (17x9.5 up front, and 18x10.5 in back)

black
    2001 WS6

how much of a difference in overall diameter will give you ABS problems? the set up I'm looking to get 275/35/18 front and 295/35/18 rear has a difference of about .55 inch. Do I have anything to worry about with ABS issues?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information