Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1998 Z28 6-speed

ABS probs!! caused me 2 wrecks now.

I recently put the C5 vette rims on my car and i got 17's in the front and 18's in the back. Its throwing wierd readings to my speed sensors because my front wheels have to rotate faster to match my back ones. Because of this it disables my ABS and ive now had two accidents because of it. My last one happened friday and there was a big rig tire laying in the center of the fast lane on my way to work and i locked up and spun slid off the freeway and down a hill 30 yards into a barbed wired fence. My car actually came out ok. just some paint chips and smashed the passenger side rocker a little. But anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem besides getting differant rims? Can i have the pcm flashed to match those rims? Or get an ABS module of of a corvette? PLZ help! b4 i kill myself in this car.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

First of all, SLOW THE F%#K DOWN. You would think after the first time you would learn your lesson.
    I don't really know the best thing to do, but maybe you could get tires to match up to equal the difference in height.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you fix it by getting your overall tire diameters the same front to rear. you can't use a program from a covette either to correct it. i have the 17/18 Y2K wheels on both of my cars. here's the tire sizes to use:

245/45-17
    285/35-18

both are 25.7" tall

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

I know that you want wider tires on the rear of your car & I realize that it's best to match the tire diameters - but the picture of your car looks strange: visually from the side it looks like you have a much larger tire on the front of your car. I know because of the lower profile of the rear tire the sidewall is shorter, just looks like the wheels should be reversed. What it is, it is - physically there's nothing else you could do....

black
    2002 WS6

THe only other thing is to learn to drive with out the ABS. Takes some skill and practice but it can be done.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

I have those vette wheels and no problems

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that's the scariest thing i've ever heard....god damn!

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

First of all, SLOW THE F%#K DOWN. You would think after the first time you would learn your lesson.
    Here's what I've got.

17x9.5 Motorsport Z06 up front
    18x10.5 Motorsport Z06 in back

I've NEVER had any problems with my ABS. And believe me, there've been several times when I could feel the ABS kick it. Saved my ass!

Bad picture...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    Here's what I've got.

17x9.5 Motorsport Z06 up front
    18x10.5 Motorsport Z06 in back

I've NEVER had any problems with my ABS. And believe me, there've been several times when I could feel the ABS kick it. Saved my ass!

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Bad picture...
    That is the most awesome rear valence I have ever seen. Nice car.

Just stick with the same diameter rim on the front and back,,,then it's not an issue. No need to complicate things, just keep it simple.
    Don't mean to sound nasty, but I just never saw the attraction of putting the big diameter wheels on,,,and why go with even larger diameter on the back just boggles my mind.
    Larry.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

For me, it was a wheel space thing. Stock, F-bodies (as well as Mustangs) look like they were built for 4-wheeling. The gap between the tires and the fenders look like you could fit mud-bogging tires under there.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Just stick with the same diameter rim on the front and back,,,then it's not an issue. No need to complicate things, just keep it simple.
    Don't mean to sound nasty, but I just never saw the attraction of putting the big diameter wheels on,,,and why go with even larger diameter on the back just boggles my mind.
    Larry.

it's a handling aspect. most european exotcs have been this way for some time. the corvette since 1997.

for the f-body you need to stay with the same overall diameter of the tire front to rear, doesn't have to be same diameter of rims. i have the 17/18 combo on both of my cars. 245/45-17 front and 285/35-18 rear. both are 25.7" tall.

I understand you need to stay with the same overall diameter,,,what I am saying is it becomes more difficult to do so when throwing a larger diameter rim on the back, then you have to get creative with tires sizes to make up the difference,,,then one wheel has more sidewall than the other, and things start looking out of whack. Why bother? Just stick with the same rim size front to back and be done with it. Or if someone just has to have it this way,,,then disable the ABS and learn how to drive.

Cobrahunter,,,that cracked me up, I can't imagine how anyone can come to the conclusion these things look like 4x4's with room for mud bogging tires. That sounds like the kid talking in you,,,seems the younger crowd wants these things scraping the ground.....All 3 of my F bodies are stock height, with stock tires, and I only see maybe 2 inches between the tire and the fender,,,in no way can I comprehend thinking it needs a larger tire.

Of course I am an old man that don't think like the youngin's nowadays, I prefer alot of sidewall and plenty of ground clearance. Larry.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i'm with you. that's why i don't lower my cars. but, to each their own.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Okay, yes, to each his own...

And yes Firebirdjones, I was exaggerating just a little with my example. But c'mon, if a lot of people didn't like the look, most for the same reason, more people would be running around with their wheel gaps looking like this:

And yes, I was never truly happy with the look of the stock wheels. And I liked the look of the 17/17 combo. Plus, I really wanted the widest tires I could fit out back...that mandates going with a lower profile tire, in turn, I needed a large wheel.

Like mrr23 said, (it took a while) GM finally went with this concept after years of european high performance cars utilizing this nice little performance enhancer.

And yes, I am over 21.

Ya it's more or less come from the younger crowd, which seems to be the majority that owns these F-bodies for some reason, which is why you see most of them lowered.
    I personally like that look in your picture but I also prefer ground clearance. I don't want to worry about where to drive a car that may scrape on a driveway or parking lot entrance, just not practical for me. Even at stock height it sometimes becomes an issue, I can't imagine dropping it 2-3 inches. I prefer to drive my cars everywhere without too many worries.

I agree though, Some of them look good if the wheel size is not carried away,,,about 17" is the limit for me, but I prefer to keep the 15 inch wheels on my old muscle cars. I guess old age is creeping up on me,,the last few years I have leaned towards keeping the car looking stock on the outside and going fast at the same time.
    Thats the great thing about this hobby,,, Larry.

Silver
    2002 Z28

ABS delete is the answer. If you want to keep uneven tire sizes, then you just need to get an ABS delete system and adjust the front/rear braking percentages. Yes, ABS does exist for a reason, but generally speaking you shouldn't ever have to use it. If you're driving an f-bod, we all know it shouldn't be driven in snow or other severe inclement weather; as for anyone here who has felt their ABS engage several times, slow down, and stop riding other cars' butts.

I personally don't care about the actual height of the car, I just don't like the stock gaps, nor the look of low profile tires. I'm running 255/35/18s up front and 295/45/18s out back, with plans to lower the car about an inch out back, and run adjustable coils up front to drop it about 1.5-2". The rear tires raised the car enough so that I can lower it back down and still have gained clearance under the car, they give me a pretty eyeful of sidewall, and the increased radius has made the car's power a little more streetable; I enjoy the ability to go WOT from 3500 in second...on spray.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Larry, more or less, I couldn't agree more.

For me, my car is kind of my "project car"; and my daily driver. I've just wanted to do a little of this and a little of that. Stuff like, giving it the suspension that GM should have given it "out of the box", or horsepower/torque that the engine is capable of.

Not a bad hobby. Sometimes kind of expensive, but hey, you only live once.

Peace.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

I Run with 275/35/18.. all the way around my camaro.. I didn't like the stock look.. it had big gaps between the fender and tire.. With the 18's it took some of that gap away.. Now All i need to do is get a supension setup to lower the front a little and the back.. i want to level things out but i like to drag and take coners.!!! Does anyone have any suggestion's on what i should get.?? I still have stock suspenion.. I want shocks and spings but i don't wanna drop it like 1.5 or 2".. just a little.. level everything out..!!

Black
    Formula... soon

i dunno, u should learn to do without abs. ive never had it and only time i locked my tires was on ice. dont be so reliant on them =P
    Last edited by Oldladykiller; 02-25-2007 at 12:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information