Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

4th Gen F lugnut cover/caps

Is there any good source to get lug nut covers/caps for our cars? $4.00 each is taking its toll on my wallet, and I usually leave shops missing a wheels worth each time.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That sucks. I'd recommend removing them before taking your car in if that's the case. SLP is the only one I know of who sold OEM lug nut covers off-hand.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    That sucks. I'd recommend removing them before taking your car in if that's the case. SLP is the only one I know of who sold OEM lug nut covers off-hand.
    It certainly does. People say I am particular with my car, but I think I have simple desires. Stuff should work on the car the way its supposed to, the car shouldnt make odd noises, and I should able to pick my car up with the same amount of things on it that I dropped it off with.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Autozone. Running these on all four corners and they are a perfect match. There are both short and tall caps, so make sure you get the correct part number.

Link: Dorman/Wheel Nut Covers 611-605.1 at AutoZone.com

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Autozone. Running these on all four corners and they are a perfect match. There are both short and tall caps, so make sure you get the correct part number.

Link: Dorman/Wheel Nut Covers 611-605.1 at AutoZone.com
    Thanks guys. At least I have two good sources for these to get crom. Ill pick some up as soon as I get my car back from the shop, warranty Bilstein rear shock came loose somehow.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

SLP still carries an entire set of lug nuts and caps for $25.95. Whenever I remove and replace the plastic caps I always put a small dab of black RTV on the inside of the threads to keep it securely stuck on the lug nut.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    SLP still carries an entire set of lug nuts and caps for $25.95. Whenever I remove and replace the plastic caps I always put a small dab of black RTV on the inside of the threads to keep it securely stuck on the lug nut.
    I was thinking of buying two sets of those.

I was also thinking about some RTV, I am glad to hear that it works.

My biggest problem is the shops been taking them of and either not putting a bunch of them back on, or putting them back on with the impact wrench and cracking them off. I will have a conversation with them the next time they work with the wheels though. Sometimes, it is really hard to keep nice things nice, even when you pay someone else to do it.

I miss not having access to a repair stall/ lift, but the rest of my life has gotten so much better when I left the car biz

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It would take all of 1 minute to run around the car with a 3/4" socket and check the caps after your car is serviced. A bit of time is always cheap insurance. I have never used RTV on our caps (even though that is a good idea) and during 8 years of ownership only one cap has come off and been lost.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

In the same boat as Jeff. Lost 1 in owning the car since it was new in 2002. I check them relatively regularly. Now if a shop is losing them, that's another problem all-together. I would be having that shop buy me new lug nut covers, removing them before taking it in, or finding a more competent shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I was thinking of buying two sets of those.

I was also thinking about some RTV, I am glad to hear that it works.

My biggest problem is the shops been taking them of and either not putting a bunch of them back on, or putting them back on with the impact wrench and cracking them off. I will have a conversation with them the next time they work with the wheels though. Sometimes, it is really hard to keep nice things nice, even when you pay someone else to do it.

I miss not having access to a repair stall/ lift, but the rest of my life has gotten so much better when I left the car biz
    I'll bet the bank that the shop is using the impact to put them on. I used to work at several dealerships in my younger years and watched the tech's do it all the time. No matter how gentle they try to be they always zap a few on and split them. They just throw them in the trash and move on. They simply don't want to take the time to spin them on by hand.

I always put mine on by hand, never use silicone, and knock on wood, since the mid 90's owning these things I've never lost a single lug cap. However I'm only going 6,000 miles and rotating the tires, so every 6,000 they come off and get a re-torque

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'll bet the bank that the shop is using the impact to put them on. I used to work at several dealerships in my younger years and watched the tech's do it all the time. No matter how gentle they try to be they always zap a few on and split them. They just throw them in the trash and move on. They simply don't want to take the time to spin them on by hand.

I always put mine on by hand, never use silicone, and knock on wood, since the mid 90's owning these things I've never lost a single lug cap. However I'm only going 6,000 miles and rotating the tires, so every 6,000 they come off and get a re-torque
    I am right there with you guys. I do think its because they use an impact. I used to not have a problem with the shop, but over the last year or so, its gotten worse.

When it was small things, it didnt bug me, but now its getting pretty irritating, especially since alot of the inventory of parts that I bought at employee pricing before I went back to college is pretty dried up. There are a lot of good shops around me, should I not be able to work an accord out with this one.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I am right there with you guys. I do think its because they use an impact. I used to not have a problem with the shop, but over the last year or so, its gotten worse.

When it was small things, it didnt bug me, but now its getting pretty irritating, especially since alot of the inventory of parts that I bought at employee pricing before I went back to college is pretty dried up. There are a lot of good shops around me, should I not be able to work an accord out with this one.
    Unfortunately that is a lot of places. Main reason why I don't let many shops touch my vehicles. I had a problem with my Cavalier, 2003 5spd, it was whining/vibrating when turning either direction full lock. Had it in the dealer a couple times, first time they told me I had 1 bad wheel bearing. I replaced both myself, it still did it, went back and they said it was the power steering assembly. So I bought an assembly and had other suspension plans so I held off. One day tinkering I decided to check the fluid reservoir. I open it and it was empty. I top it off, the issue goes away and comes back in a week. Top it off one more, its 100% gone, even today right now it has not lost fluid at all. The cause of this was when I bought the car, the little crap dealer I bought it from had to replace the slave cyl because 5th day I had the car the clutch pedal failed. Turns out when they fixed it for free under the 30 day deal, they dropped the subframe, did not align it, did not top fluids off where they interrupted, and 4 months later I had to replace brand new front tires. Overall, I got screwed over big time by mechanics on the clock.

I try and do everything I possibly can on my own now, and I have learned a lot more 'before you buy this car, check' things.

People these days.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I wait until I go out to maryland and then just park next to your car and take a few off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I wait until I go out to maryland and then just park next to your car and take a few off.
    You laugh, but I actually caught someone trying to steal the center cap off of my 89 T/A's Diamond Spoke wheels once.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It was probably Orion's cousin.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's how I replaced all the center caps on my 75 cutlass at one time.......then someone would steal a couple.....then I would steal a couple. I think there were caps made for 50% of the cutlass' on the road and then everyone just kept stealing them from one another.

Thread Information