Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19s or 20s????

02 Z28

19s or 20s????

19''front 20''rear rims are hard to find for me. i wanted iforged 5 spokes, but when they called me they were asking $4500 with the custom color i wanted + the tires i wanted + the size and width i wanted. i am deff not getting those now, because it is wayy out of my budget. money like that to me should go in the engine. my car doesnt even have headers yet.. haha

if you look up godspeed deep dish 5 spoke, itll give you an idea of what kind of rims i like. those rims i think are only for mustangs tho? idk..

here comes the real question..... what are the pros cons of 20'' rims.. pros cons of 19'' rims. and why is 20s ''too big''...

if anybody here has rims for sale that is in good condition and 19'' deep dish 10'' wide pls tell me because i have 1500-1900 ready to go.

02 Z28

if worst comes to worst, im keeping snowflake stockers, powdercoat black.and get my michelin pilot as plus.. save up for my iforged since its too damn expensive for an 18yr old that makes average. mannnnn i wish my xmas bonus from work would be 4500!!! haha

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I lost .2 et with 18" rims, I can only imagine what you would lose with with 20's. Most big rims don't compliment a muscle car but that is just an opinion.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^ I agree. Almost always bigger wheels means heavier, sometimes much heavier. And heavier unsprung weight equals harsher ride, longer stopping distance, worse gas mileage, slower acceleration, but hey, if you just want the bling, go for it.

NBM
    99 TA

I have had 20s for years now, had enkei kapones and replaced them with staggered TSW jaramas earlier this year. I probably made the car a tad bit slower, but my car is not a serious drag car (ie: stereo system weighs down the car more than the wheels I bet). When I first put 20s on, the car looked like it was lifted, so I had to lower it as well, which made the ride alittle harsh, just make sure to choose good springs and shocks.
    I was going to go with iForged 3 piece wheels until I priced them, I decided to go with the TSW bc the rears have a dish on them as well.
    Alot of people will say they are too big, but I think it more depends on the wheel than the size, there is not much difference between and 19 and a 20.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Before you look at getting 19s or 20s...

You should look at tires... You are probably gonna spend 1000+ just on tires...

Just get a set of 17-18 whatevers... and tires will be closer to 800 for four.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by BAMF TA View Post

^^agreed

haha! $1k on 20" zr tires!!?? yeah, if you find a junk set of falkens buy three get one free. the OP mentioned michelin pilots, youre gonna be looking at $400-500 per tire, plus installation, tax, and if you can afford the insane road hazard price. the stock 17" tires run you a grand for a nice set. for any decent 20" performance tire youre gonna be looking closer to $1500+.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by vonskee-z28 View Post
    if worst comes to worst, im keeping snowflake stockers, powdercoat black.and get my michelin pilot as plus.. save up for my iforged since its too damn expensive for an 18yr old that makes average. mannnnn i wish my xmas bonus from work would be 4500!!! haha
    dont waste your money on any michelins. i sell them all day and BFG g-force kdw's hook and handle just as good on our cars. michelins are nice, but not worth what they charge.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

4 tires for my 18s are over a $1000.

If you don't want to spend a grand on tires, better stick with 17s.

NBM
    99 TA

back when I had the stock 16s I was spending around 800 for a set of 4 tires.
    Right now I have Falkens on the TSWs, which I like better than the nittos I had before (grip is the same, but the treads have lasted longer). They were both the same price just over 1G for the set of 4.

If 20s are what you want then go with them, and if a deep dish is what you want, save up for the wheels you really want rather than buying a set you don't really like only to buy another set down the road. Don't let other people talk you out of what you want....sure it will lap a little slower than if you had 18s, but I am assuming its not a hardcore track car and even with 20s it will beat the majority of cars on the streets.... just my 2 cents.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    4 tires for my 18s are over a $1000.

If you don't want to spend a grand on tires, better stick with 17s.

Im not sure if that was aimed at me... but i was just pointing out the fact that tires alone could eat his entire budget.

Ill be spending my fair share on tires...

345/35-18 R6 Rear and 315/30-18 R6 Front

Rear tires should be ~$700 a pair... a few times a year.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Im not sure if that was aimed at me... but i was just pointing out the fact that tires alone could eat his entire budget.

Ill be spending my fair share on tires...

345/35-18 R6 Rear and 315/30-18 R6 Front

Rear tires should be ~$700 a pair... a few times a year.
    Not really aimed at you, I know you mentioned $1000+ in your original post. Mostly my post was aimed at the thread starter, just saying if tire costs are an issue, I wouldn't get into 18s.

02 Z28

ive been getting my pilots for $800 with discount at costco. mounted and balanced. my homeboy works at big o tires, i just bring it to him for alignment. and i already researched about how much would tires cost when i do get 18's 19's 20's. im ready for it. its not like im getting tires once a month. right now though, roh drift r's or whatever they are " 5 spoke deep dish " are pulling me crazy... alot of people say michelin pilots are wayy too pricey everytime, but i like em. they grip good in any damn season. i drive the same on any kind of road with the pilots. specially in rain man, those are killers. but then again, this was b4 the maro. i was driving an 05 kompressor. didnt feel like a 4 banger man. that sucker was fast, not enuff for my maro though.. ill post some pics in a bit....

*thanks for all the answers fellas..

02 Z28

michelin pilots all day on dirt on berryessa! haha

mac photo editor

2 years ago in highschool

marin headlands 'golden gate'

after my 5hrs of hardwork. shiny mercedes.

**all proudly taken by my cellphone! haha sorry for the bad quality..

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by vonskee-z28 View Post
    ive been getting my pilots for $800 with discount at costco. mounted and balanced. my homeboy works at big o tires, i just bring it to him for alignment. and i already researched about how much would tires cost when i do get 18's 19's 20's. im ready for it. its not like im getting tires once a month. right now though, roh drift r's or whatever they are " 5 spoke deep dish " are pulling me crazy... alot of people say michelin pilots are wayy too pricey everytime, but i like em. they grip good in any damn season. i drive the same on any kind of road with the pilots. specially in rain man, those are killers. but then again, this was b4 the maro. i was driving an 05 kompressor. didnt feel like a 4 banger man. that sucker was fast, not enuff for my maro though.. ill post some pics in a bit....

*thanks for all the answers fellas..
    there are several different michelin "pilots." the ones on the benz arent gonna be the same as what will fit on your camaro. the pilots are a line of michelin tires, not a specific one. (ex, pilot sport, pilot sport a/s, pilot exalto, pilot mxv4, pilot hm-mxm4, etc..)

so have you actually purchased a set of michelins for your camaro yet? or just the benz? because a guy came into my shop with 19" ccw's and had pilot sports on his and needed to order another one. 295/30/19 i believe, and i ordered it straight from michelin and it was over $375 each installed. so $800 doesn't even sound close....

im not sure what size you want to run, but here is an example. and i dont care what kind of discount your friend gets, it aint much lower than tire racks pricing, i sell tires, there isnt much mark up on a lot of these. plus michelin doesnt offer a whole lot in a size that would work for our cars in a 20" rim.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

and im not telling you not to do it. personally i think 20's look like garbage on our cars, but if you like it go for it. i was just agreeing that tires for that size are gonna be outrageous.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

pm sent, vonskee-z28

02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    there are several different michelin "pilots." the ones on the benz arent gonna be the same as what will fit on your camaro. the pilots are a line of michelin tires, not a specific one. (ex, pilot sport, pilot sport a/s, pilot exalto, pilot mxv4, pilot hm-mxm4, etc..)

so have you actually purchased a set of michelins for your camaro yet? or just the benz? because a guy came into my shop with 19" ccw's and had pilot sports on his and needed to order another one. 295/30/19 i believe, and i ordered it straight from michelin and it was over $375 each installed. so $800 doesn't even sound close....

im not sure what size you want to run, but here is an example. and i dont care what kind of discount your friend gets, it aint much lower than tire racks pricing, i sell tires, there isnt much mark up on a lot of these. plus michelin doesnt offer a whole lot in a size that would work for our cars in a 20" rim.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
    go to costco right now and go to tire service. ask whoever the person running it how much would michelin pilot sport as PLUS would cost on a stock 16 inch camaro snowflake rims. $800 dam dollars unless it cost more wherever you are. theyre probably $375 because it was 19's ccws. and yes i know they will cost more the larger your rims are. goodluck on your tire selling.

02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    pm sent, vonskee-z28
    all cleann!! thanks bro

02 Z28

http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireR...ml?cid=2028158

theyre $173.99 for 1. so x4+tax+them doing the mounting and balancing close to $800 out the door. i remember paying $780 or something..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information