Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

19" and 20" Rims on Trans Am

This is a discussion on 19" and 20" Rims on Trans Am within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by mrr23 yes. purple lights on a black car, to me, looks good. currently they are not on ...

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    yes. purple lights on a black car, to me, looks good. currently they are not on the car.
    sure, if you say so

Midnight Blue
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Red face

Dang !!! Didn't mean to get everyone fired up !!

I have only seen a couple pics of 19's on F-bodys and " I " believe it looks sweet !! I think 17's and 18's look good just as well !!! I just want to be different. I don't want what everyone else has...... I have not seen one single f-body in my area with 19's !!!

I guess the only othe question I have left is, " Can you run 19 x 9.5 on all fours without modifications to the front wheel wells, and can the car be lowered 1.2" with the 19 x 9.5's !!

Thanks Guys =)

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

i did.i see your in ohio,im in cincinnati if ya get chance swing over & you can see mine & judge for yourself.i have 18x8.5 on the fronts & 19x9.5 on the rears with the car lowered via the eibach pro-kit & it looks f`n sick & the ride is 100x`s better now than b4 when it was stock.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

19s look ghey and ghetto.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Same thing when people use the term "ghey". I expect people to have differing opinions but don't just simply say something is ghey because its something you don't like. I don't see why people get so offended by how other people choose to spend money on their car.
    nuff said

Midnight Blue
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

people really throw the "ghey" word around alot on here !!???

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Fleck View Post
    people really throw the "ghey" word around alot on here !!???
    In threads about 19-20' wheels you'll see that from time to time.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Do what you gotta do!!

I'm all for personal preference. It's your car, do what you want. Someone earlier commented about 19 and 20 inch wheels on the supercars and what was different about them. One glaring difference I see is that they use that additional room to stuff in bigger brakes. When you have a brake system that is set up for 16 or 17 inch wheels and you go up to twenties, if you don't change the brakes too there will be a void that looks strange. That's just aesthetics, nevermind no real performance advantage. Lots of guys in Charlotte have Caprices with 22-24" wheels. I haven't seen one yet that I like........ or can't smoke.

I remember when I was into dirt bikes, Honda unveiled a new enduro model with a 23" front wheel as opposed to the standard 21" used by everyone else. They claimed that the larger circumference places more of a footprint (surface) of the tire in contact with the ground. That's true, but the difference is ever so slight, and a smaller tire with a better design could easily grip better than the larger tire with a poorer design. I don't remember the 23" tire becoming that important to those riding in the dirt. Maybe because the size limited the option of tire choices too much. Still, some 4x4 people will tell you that TOO wide (more contact area) a tire will sometimes cause it to float instead of dig. I guess that means that more isn't always better. It depends a lot on the application.

Add to that rolling resistance. A few years ago, I went from 15 to 17 inch wheels on a '94 T-bird. I made the wheel choice more on looks than anything, but the tire choice was for grip. The 15's (215-70) were Michelin X's and they were horrible - even dangerous - when wet. With the 17's I went to Michelin Hydro-edges (225-55) and the grip was greatly improved with superior road-handling capablities backed up by an IRS rear-end. As much as I love my F-body, that T-bird was much better handling. If it had the same power, I'd still be in a Ford. But the larger tires made it SLOWER. It also made the gas mileage go down substantially...like 1.5 mpg. I've heard many blame the mileage on the rolling resistance of the tire, but the loss of speed had to be due to the taller tire. That's something to think about.

Once again, I'm all for a person doing what they want to personalize their own car....within reason. My Z28 still has the original 16" GM chrome wheels and I just haven't found anything I like better so they will likely stay on it. Seems to me the preferred size on F-bodies is 17" and if I was to change that would likely be it. One thing is for sure, once you get above 17", the tire choices become more limited and the prices substantially higher. I don't mind spending money for legitimate performance upgrades, but I'm skeptical that 19-20" wheels really give you much return on your investment - performance wise - over smaller diameters.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I just recieved a price quote from my local deal on 18x10 18x8.5 Foose Nitrous rims with bfg kdw-2 tires. It will cost me $150 more than what the 19inch Ruff racing 280's will cost with bfg kdw-2 tires. I'm really wanting to see these Foose wheels on an f-body !!!! Does anyone no where I can find a pic of an f-body with these mounted on em !!????????????????????? These rims look reall bad azzzz to me

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    then what do you call ferraris, porsches, lambourghinis, corvettes, vipers, .....
    little different when they are comng form the factory with em.

look at an f-body w/19"s or 20"s & then look at a viper. you tell me which 1 looks out of place...

Almost every owner of an f-body considers 20's to big and ghetto as shit. 18's and 17's are preferred, and 19's look good as hell when applied the right way. It comes down to what YOU like and what u dont. But if you like 20's dont get an f-body it doesnt look right. every car deserves what proprtionaly fits right. What i think everyone will agree on tho, is that a trans am is a car that looks better somewhat sloped. in my personal opinion the wheel wells look kind of empty with 17's. with 18's and a lowering kit should satisfy anybodys size requirements, but i think it looks amazing when u get 19's in the back and 18's in the front, it enhances the aggressive nature of the car especially with a ws6. there are so many aspects to the "right rim question" that in the end no matter what people say and rag on you... ur gunna get what u probly wanted from the start.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

My plan is to put 19s on a Camaro, this one or the next one, depending on how the next 12 months go. I've already made that decision, and I plan on having the money to fill up the wheels with big brakes to match and excellent suspension as well before I even bolt them on. I'm all for 19s on an F-body, if done right, and I plan on using the extra room as well. Its all personal preference, and since speed and handling (not launch) are my priority, the 3-4" sidewall height doesn't worry me so much. I would be willing to bet that even 20s could look alright if done properly, we just havent seen anyone do it right yet!

I mean, this Corvette Z06 has 335/25-R22s out back and I think it looks pretty awesome. Its all in the execution. And this guy has it supercharged and loves the way those big pirellis hook. I'm not saying that anybody can just bolt up wheels that are four inches taller than stock and look good; if you want to pull off something that different than you gotta put in the additional time and energy to make it work, and work well. If you don't, then not only will you not get any respect for your mods, but you'll get ripped on for your lack of effort.

my bad, put two http://, here's the pic

Oh and yeah the front brakes could be bigger but it still looks pretty good. And before anyone asks the red thing on the wheels is a red carbon fiber spoke insert, if I remember the Modified Luxury & Exotics article correctly.
    Last edited by mrr23; 06-11-2007 at 04:13 PM.

well isn't that lovely! all of the photos are at http://cotm.montrealracing.com/v/dec05/zo6_09.jpg.html if they won't load on here; they're worth checking out.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Fleck View Post
    Dang !!! Didn't mean to get everyone fired up !!

I have only seen a couple pics of 19's on F-bodys and " I " believe it looks sweet !! I think 17's and 18's look good just as well !!! I just want to be different. I don't want what everyone else has...... I have not seen one single f-body in my area with 19's !!!

I guess the only othe question I have left is, " Can you run 19 x 9.5 on all fours without modifications to the front wheel wells, and can the car be lowered 1.2" with the 19 x 9.5's !!

Thanks Guys =)
    Yes you can... you can get 275/30-19 and keep the exact same overall diameter of the tires as stock.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    well isn't that lovely! all of the photos are at http://cotm.montrealracing.com/v/dec05/zo6_09.jpg.html if they won't load on here; they're worth checking out.
    I'm surprised he can actually drive that car on our Montreal streets... but looking closer, his front fascia is all damaged.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

my TA has 19x8.5 up front and 19x10 out back with a 245/35/19 up front an a 305/30/19 out back and handles like a dream. It help that every single suspension part has been changed but it rides supper smooth and just breaks peoples neck driving down the road. Here is a little taste of heaven for yall.

Last edited by Nasty TA; 06-11-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    Those davin speeds are a hard ass wheel. He had to spend at least 5000 on them But they look great going down the road. The red spoke spins around and around.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information