Results 1 to 19 of 19

18x8 vs 18x9.5

This is a discussion on 18x8 vs 18x9.5 within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; I want to put 18x9.5 wheels with 275/35/18 tires all the way around on my 2001 ws6. I thought people ...

  1. #1
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    18x8 vs 18x9.5

    I want to put 18x9.5 wheels with 275/35/18 tires all the way around on my 2001 ws6. I thought people had told me I wouldn't have problems. However, a guy I was going to order through said they wouldn't fit in the front? Anyone run this size and have any feedback on the fit? Also can someone explain the offset idea to me. He suggested 18x8 with a 42mm offset in front and 18x9.5 with 48mm offset in the back. I think the 18x8's would look pretty thin. What's the widest tire that will fit comfortably on an 8 in. wide wheel?
    Half cocked, Full Throttle!
    2001 Black Trans Am WS6 M6
    1986 383 Stroker Red Chevrolet Camaro
    2006 Blue Kawasaki ZX6R 636

  2. #2
    Gold Member clint195's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Schuyler, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,844

    Red
    2001 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    I want to put 18x9.5 wheels with 275/35/18 tires all the way around on my 2001 ws6. I thought people had told me I wouldn't have problems. However, a guy I was going to order through said they wouldn't fit in the front? Anyone run this size and have any feedback on the fit? Also can someone explain the offset idea to me. He suggested 18x8 with a 42mm offset in front and 18x9.5 with 48mm offset in the back. I think the 18x8's would look pretty thin. What's the widest tire that will fit comfortably on an 8 in. wide wheel?
    Who told you that? You will be fine with 18x9.5. I run 17x10.5 in the rear with no problem and stock size in front. I have seen many threads with people turning out ok with 18x9.5 all around. I wouldnt go 18x8 that is to thin like stated.

  3. #3
    Member Blue28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ca.
    Posts
    769

    Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

    18 x 9.5's should fit up front without any problems as long as the offset is between +38 & +56.

  4. #4
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    18x9.5's w/40mm offset here and no issues, tires are 275/35 Nitto Invo's
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

    Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

  5. #5
    Member turyg ls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Clewiston,Fl
    Posts
    107

    Pewter
    2002 camaro ss slp #2582

    well i have a friend that has a 01 WS6 18x9.5 all around with 285/35/18 all around, and only rubs on the back

  6. #6
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    K. That's what I thought i'd heard on here in the past.

    9T8W66, Do you think 285s would fit in the front with a 40 or 42 mm offset?

  7. #7
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by turyg ls1 View Post
    well i have a friend that has a 01 WS6 18x9.5 all around with 285/35/18 all around, and only rubs on the back
    Hearing that I may just go with 275s. Don't want to do any modifications. Question about offsets, does an offset of 40+ mm affect the performance or handling of the wheels/tires? Also, I have it narrowed down to Nittos or Goodrich Gforces. Any suggestions? I know these are both pretty good but just curious if you guys have any personal preferences.

  8. #8
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    The guy also just told me that 275s will fit on 18x8in. wheels. Isn't that pushing it?

  9. #9
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Hmmm...I would think 275s would fit best on an 8.5-9.5 inch rim. BFG g-forces are good tires IMO. I run the KDW NT in the front 8.5 in 245/40/18 and I run g-force sport on the rear 9.5 in 275/35/18.

  10. #10
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    I run 275/35/18s on my 18x10 wheels. You aren't going to have any problems with them on the wheels you are wanting.

  11. #11
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I run 275/35/18s on my 18x10 wheels. You aren't going to have any problems with them on the wheels you are wanting.
    Y2K, do you mean I won't have a problem with them on 18x9.5 or on 18x8? Also, do you have any rubbing or clearance issues?

  12. #12
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    Y2K, do you mean I won't have a problem with them on 18x9.5 or on 18x8? Also, do you have any rubbing or clearance issues?
    I was speaking of the 18x9.5 since you mentioned that as what you wanted. The 275/35/18 tires I run, are listed on tirerack as a rim width range of 9"-11". You can look up any tire size on tirerack and look at the specs of a specific tire and it will tell you what wheels it will fit. I don't think you could run a 275 tire on a 8" wheel, you would have to drop to a 255 tire for a 8" wheel.

    I would put the 18x9.5s all around and be done with it. You are not going to have any rubbing or clearance problems.

  13. #13
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I was speaking of the 18x9.5 since you mentioned that as what you wanted. The 275/35/18 tires I run, are listed on tirerack as a rim width range of 9"-11". You can look up any tire size on tirerack and look at the specs of a specific tire and it will tell you what wheels it will fit. I don't think you could run a 275 tire on a 8" wheel, you would have to drop to a 255 tire for a 8" wheel.

    I would put the 18x9.5s all around and be done with it. You are not going to have any rubbing or clearance problems.
    Thanks for the info. I thought so. I told the guy to just give me a quote on the 275/35 on 18x9.5 and let me worry about the fronts "not fitting"...

  14. #14
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    Thanks for the info. I thought so. I told the guy to just give me a quote on the 275/35 on 18x9.5 and let me worry about the fronts "not fitting"...
    The guy doesn't know what he is talking about to be honest. You can fit 11" wheels on the front easier than you can the rears. You will not have any problems.

  15. #15
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The guy doesn't know what he is talking about to be honest. You can fit 11" wheels on the front easier than you can the rears. You will not have any problems.
    since you bring that up, would you know what offset I would have to have if I ran a 10" wide tire in the front? or could you pm me a link to a website that would be able to tell me?


    I know 10" in the front is way too wide. I don't care, I want to be weird like that lol. I just figure if you can get a 9.5 in there, why wouldn't you be able to squeeze a 10 with the right offset?

  16. #16
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    since you bring that up, would you know what offset I would have to have if I ran a 10" wide tire in the front? or could you pm me a link to a website that would be able to tell me?


    I know 10" in the front is way too wide. I don't care, I want to be weird like that lol. I just figure if you can get a 9.5 in there, why wouldn't you be able to squeeze a 10 with the right offset?
    I guess I didn't specify in my first post, but 18x10 are my fronts, 18x11 are my rears. 10s fit in the front with no issues. Eugenio, the mod assigned to the wheel forum, runs 315s on 11" wheels in the front I believe. I know he runs the 315s, just can't remember if he is on 10.5" or 11" wheels.

    I don't know of a site that can help you with offsets, but most wheel companies can answer for you if you tell them what car the wheel is for.

  17. #17
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Thanks Y2K. Once again this site saves me on a purchase.

  18. #18
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I guess I didn't specify in my first post, but 18x10 are my fronts, 18x11 are my rears. 10s fit in the front with no issues. Eugenio, the mod assigned to the wheel forum, runs 315s on 11" wheels in the front I believe. I know he runs the 315s, just can't remember if he is on 10.5" or 11" wheels.

    I don't know of a site that can help you with offsets, but most wheel companies can answer for you if you tell them what car the wheel is for.
    ok that's what I wanted to hear. my goal is to have 19x12R 19x10F c6 spyders (when I can save the money). it will be a tight fit on both sizes but I haven't seen anyone with this size set up yet. everyone does the same old staggered thing.

  19. #19
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Y2K,

    Any idea what offset I should go with on the front and back? Is is the same or will they be slightly different offsets? I would ask the guy i'm ordering from but that would be a little scary considering his other knowledge. Also, a tire shop in my hometown told me that the best bang for my buck on tires would nexxen. I originally told him to look up fuzions or bfgoodrich but he said for the price nexxen would do better for me. Any ideas on these?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: 18x8.5 C6 rims on my 98 Formula, how wide can I go over 245?
    By hall_5950 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 10:34 PM
  2. Looking to buy 18x8
    By SactownHuskers in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 03:25 PM
  3. 18x8's up front
    By JonB in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 01:06 PM
  4. stock C6 18x8.5 and 19x10...will they fit?
    By ArcticZ06 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 09:19 PM
  5. fitament of 06 18x8 GTO wheels on 4th gen F body
    By toplessHO in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 07:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •