Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1995 Trans am

18" wheels on TA's? Like them?

Got 18" wheels put on my 95 TA today and I felt like I was driving a truck home, hee. hard to get use to after drivng on 16" stock. I'll have to lower the car now. Who agrees with 18" wheels look and who has 18" wheels. I like the wheels but not sure if I'll get used to them?

Any thoughts? Any ideas?

NBM
    99 TA

i think 18s are perfect, but these cars ALL need to be lowered regardless of what tires are on it. They have the 4x4 look right from the factory!

1966 Corvette Coupe

18's are whats needed on these cars... some ppl run 19's which dont look bad either, but thats just an odd tire size

oh yeah and lower it

-me

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i like having the 18" on the wife's car. takes corners lots quicker now. stability is a good thing.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Red
    1995 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    i think 18s are perfect, but these cars ALL need to be lowered regardless of what tires are on it. They have the 4x4 look right from the factory!
    O'K. I'll lower mine. Any suggestions? I have two subs in a box in the back of my convertible. If I lower it with Bilstein shocks and sturts and Pro-Spings will the weight drop the back lower than the front?

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 95TAGary View Post
    O'K. I'll lower mine. Any suggestions? I have two subs in a box in the back of my convertible. If I lower it with Bilstein shocks and sturts and Pro-Spings will the weight drop the back lower than the front?
    shouldn't be a noticeable difference.... might give you a little more traction

Red
    1995 Trans am

shouldn't be a noticeable difference.... might give you a little more traction
    Think if I lower it down with Bilsteins and pro-kit it'll look different or should say better? Seems like I went up two inches now to 18" now I need to drop it down to get the look again. I sure get more looks and complments after getting new rims. Now I need to get the lower look back. Any ideas?

1966 Corvette Coupe

what size tires are you running... my guess would be prolly a 275/35/18...

-me

NBM
    99 TA

Think if I lower it down with Bilsteins and pro-kit it'll look different or should say better? Seems like I went up two inches now to 18" now I need to drop it down to get the look again. I sure get more looks and complments after getting new rims. Now I need to get the lower look back. Any ideas?
    eibach prokit with bilsteins would be my suggestion as well, and if your car is raised up 2 inches then i think you bought the wrong tires lol. Like Predator said 275-285/35/18 is what should be on there, unless you went with a thinner wheel like a 18x8 then they should have 245/40/18 or something like that. the drop should make you lower than you were with the stock wheels, and should give it a very nice stance!

01 NHRA n AZ

BLACK
    2001 NHRA edition TransAm

I did exactly what you all are talking bout here on my 2001 TA. Eibach Pro kit with 18" NIche Shock wheels wrapped in 275 35s. Looks and rides great!

Red
    1995 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    what size tires are you running... my guess would be prolly a 275/35/18...

-me
    265/35-18" Nexen ZR Ultra High performance

Red
    1995 Trans am

eibach prokit with bilsteins would be my suggestion as well, and if your car is raised up 2 inches then i think you bought the wrong tires lol. Like Predator said 275-285/35/18 is what should be on there, unless you went with a thinner wheel like a 18x8 then they should have 245/40/18 or something like that. the drop should make you lower than you were with the stock wheels, and should give it a very nice stance!
    Just feels a little higher but like you said maybe its not? Jsut seems like I'm higher up going down the road so I can tell I have 18" wheels, hee.

O'K, to order Bilstein/Pro-Kit springs does the Bilsteins have to be special like valved? I see where E-bay and Ws6 store has this package for $599. Will this package work or do I need something special in revalved shocks? Don't think I can pay that much for Koni's unless its really worth it. Will I need a panhard bar as well since I don't race? my tires are 265/35/ZR18 Nexen 3000N

thanks

1966 Corvette Coupe

hmmm you should actually be clost to the same tire size as a standard car... i dont know the original tire size, but as we all know

tread width (mm)/sidewall height in percentage of tread width/speed rating rims size

oh and an inch is 25.4 mm... sooo your current tire height is...

18 x 25.4 + 2 x 265 x .35 = 457.2 + 185.5 = 642.7 (mm) or 25.3 (in)

now just find out your stock size (i just dont know it) and use the formula above to see if yours are bigger or smaller... should be about the same...

-me

NBM
    99 TA

Just feels a little higher but like you said maybe its not? Jsut seems like I'm higher up going down the road so I can tell I have 18" wheels, hee.

O'K, to order Bilstein/Pro-Kit springs does the Bilsteins have to be special like valved? I see where E-bay and Ws6 store has this package for $599. Will this package work or do I need something special in revalved shocks? Don't think I can pay that much for Koni's unless its really worth it. Will I need a panhard bar as well since I don't race? my tires are 265/35/ZR18 Nexen 3000N

thanks
    ive heard that most people use the re valved bilsteins, im planning on doing the same thing you are, so i am still doing my research as well. The panhard bar is a good idea, and isn't very expensive, also you shoud get the LCA relocation brackets as well (another cheap investment that will help you hook up better)

Awaiting Activation
    i like the 18s but any bigger is just not for me.

Artic White
    96 Formula Firebird

I put some C6 18's on my Formula with P285/35/18. They really woke the car up. Looks and handling.

My stock 16 with F1's kind of gave to car a float feel at about 90 or so. Now on the 18's it is dead solid.

Ride quailty is even good. In fact, I had someone in the car just a few days ago, they actully stated how smooth the ride was.

As for height... P275/35/18 should be 25.6 inches tall. Stock is 25.7 inches. P285/35/18 are 26.0

So, even if you are runing P285, you would only be .15 inches taller than stock. With one slight exception, 18's don't have as much sidewall height and have less side wall flex. As a result, even though the tires have the same over-all diameter... when the car is standing still... it will set a little higher due to the tire having less sidewall flex.
    Last edited by wabmorgan; 08-21-2006 at 09:37 PM.

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    18's are whats needed on these cars... some ppl run 19's which dont look bad either, but thats just an odd tire size

oh yeah and lower it

-me
    Also, 19's dont hook up well at all. Side wall on the tire is too small.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I don't like 18's. I think 17' is the right size street rim.

Red
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

Looking for some guidance as well......Just bought a 2001 WS6 TA in red. Am waiting for a new set of XXR 006 wheels (black/red) to arrive. 18x9's in front & 18x9.5 rears. Tires are here at home, new BF Goodrich G Force TA KDW's. 275 35 ZR 18's for the front, 295 35 ZR 18's for the rear. Should I expect any rubbing issues front or back? Thanks in advance for guidance!

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

no you wont rub guys run 11 inch wheels out back and some in front too. but this thread is like 5 years old man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information