Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

02 SS Tire Combo Question

This is a discussion on 02 SS Tire Combo Question within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; ok, just talked to a friend of mine at discount tire. he said he could get me the kdw for ...

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

ok, just talked to a friend of mine at discount tire. he said he could get me the kdw for about $1200 or the kdws for $700 mounted balanced and certs w/road hazzards. any thoughts?
    2002 Onyx Black Camaro SS, m6, SLP Cold Air Induction, SLP Lid, K&N Air Filter, SLP 160 Stat, SLP MAF Type B, Y-Pipe Dual Cat, Out & Tip Exhaust, SFC, STCB, PHB w/HCA's, Rear Lower Skip Shift Harness, Hyper-Tech LS1 Power Programmer.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SS#337 View Post
    ok, just talked to a friend of mine at discount tire. he said he could get me the kdw for about $1200 or the kdws for $700 mounted balanced and certs w/road hazzards. any thoughts?
    The KDWS are more of a weather tire. They will be ok for normal driving but good luck ever getting them to hook up

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

so with that in mind, you suggest the kdw?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

so with that in mind, you suggest the kdw?
    Yes, I am on my third set of KDW now, and have never had a problem with them.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

ok and they last for about how long? $1200 for full set of tires is out there. are they really worth that? also my friend told me that they are directional, meaning he will hae to order specifically left front right front. rears are ok. definatley no rotating now....

any experience with the Dunlop Sp Sport 9000's?
    Last edited by SS#337; 11-25-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

ok and they last for about how long? $1200 for full set of tires is out there. are they really worth that? also my friend told me that they are directional, meaning he will hae to order specifically left front right front. rears are ok. definatley no rotating now....

any experience with the Dunlop Sp Sport 9000's?
    Yes, they are directionals, so no rotating, unless you had 4 of the same size wheels/tires. Then you could move front to back.

I have gotten 20k miles out of a set without any problems. It will depend on your driving style though, if you do a lot of burnouts, you might only get 10k miles out of them. That part is up to you though.

You might want to check tirerack.com and discounttire.com for better pricing. The $1200 seems pretty high to me honestly. I got my pair of 295/35/18s for $470 shipped through discounttire and I have already priced the front set of KDW that I will need and they will be about $400 shipped as well. I think you can beat that $1200 fairly easy.

Ugly but well hung, A-10 SS#1531's Avatar
    1998 Camaro SS M6 Hardtop

I ran 255/45/17 in front and 285/40/17 in back for a while and wasn't too happy with it. It was ok at first, but when I started adding suspension and chassi mods it started to understeer. I'm much happier now that I run 285/40/17 all around. I also run KDW's and love them.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

Thanks for all the suggestions and good info. Everyone has been very helpful. I knew I joined the right place....thanks again. I will post some pics on what I do.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

keep us posted.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I'm running 285/40/17 all the way around...just put a new set on last week. Also, check out www.vulcantire.com for some great prices.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

Finally!

I finally got my tires yesterday and right off the bat felt the difference. Maybe because I've been riding on bald tires. I went with the Kumho 245-40/17 in front and 285-40/17 in rear. I will try to get some pics out the first of next week. Thanks for all of your input.

btw - I replaced the front brakes and rotors with the napa oem brands back in Nov. They are squeaking already...any thoughts on resonable upgrades or fixes?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Interestingly, I put new brake pads (Duralast) all around back in October and they're already sqeaking now. Six months and maybe 6k miles is all I get out of them? C'mon. I'm not sure what I'll get next.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

yep, interesting....i think i may look into the baer system of brakes and rotors. anyone have any thoughts?

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I finally got my tires yesterday and right off the bat felt the difference. Maybe because I've been riding on bald tires. I went with the Kumho 245-40/17 in front and 285-40/17 in rear. I will try to get some pics out the first of next week. Thanks for all of your input.

btw - I replaced the front brakes and rotors with the napa oem brands back in Nov. They are squeaking already...any thoughts on resonable upgrades or fixes?
    Which Kumho tire did you go with? I have the Kumho MX and love them! I had the Kumho ASX and hated them. I race with the Kumho V710 and damn if I could only use them on the street!!

Squeaking brakes does not necessarily mean they are worn out and I doubt after only 6 months yours are...no matter what brand. A lot of brakes squeak right away depending upon what brand you use and if they were installed using the blue stuff on the back side. The squeak actually comes from the pad vibrating inside the caliper, and not the pad being worn out. Some of the more high-performance pads sqeak when braking lightly...some of the Hawk pads that are made for racing, and to take abuse, do this.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

I actually got the ASX's. What problems did you have with them? This is the second set I have gotten but only the first with this 275/285 combo. I know its just feels good to be riding on some good (new) tires right now.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

curious as to why you went with 245's in the front, when the SS's came with 275's from the factory? you lost 30mm (over 1") of grip on each front wheel...

i also ran 315/35/17's when I first got my SS, they came on the car (4 brand new tires) riding on 17*9 rims, with no issues at all...

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I actually got the ASX's. What problems did you have with them? This is the second set I have gotten but only the first with this 275/285 combo. I know its just feels good to be riding on some good (new) tires right now.
    I had the ASX in the 275 all around after having the MX in the same size. The sidewall was VERY weak compared to the MX and they were not anywhere near as responsive or reliable as the MX. I took them back after one month and upgraded to the MX...second set of those and will probably go with the MX when these wear out as well.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

that was a typo - they are 275's.

As far as the Kumho ASX's, they are working for me - for now. Maybe as things change...future mods and all, I will have to look into other types of tires.

I'm (Hurst) Equipped... davebowtie's Avatar

Onyx Black
    '02 Camaro SS(replica) M6

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    Squeaking brakes does not necessarily mean they are worn out and I doubt after only 6 months yours are...no matter what brand. A lot of brakes squeak right away depending upon what brand you use and if they were installed using the blue stuff on the back side. The squeak actually comes from the pad vibrating inside the caliper, and not the pad being worn out. Some of the more high-performance pads sqeak when braking lightly...some of the Hawk pads that are made for racing, and to take abuse, do this.
    what he said...

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

Well I guess so, it's just very annoying to me.

I still plan on putting some pics out; having camera issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information