Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Zaino Wimps

This is a discussion on Zaino Wimps within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by 0rion clay bar is exactly that.....a bar of clay. You keep the paint wet and rub the ...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    clay bar is exactly that.....a bar of clay. You keep the paint wet and rub the bar on the car. It'll pick up stuff out of the paint you didn't even know was there. There used to be a test you could do but since no one smokes anymore ( myself included) you'd have to alter it a little bit. Take the cellophane off of a pack of smokes and stick 2 fingers in it. Rub it gently across your paint and feel all the little crap that's stuck in the paint. Clay bar the area and repeat the test. It'll be as smooth as sarges ass after an application of z-6.
    The method used now is to take a Ziploc sandwich baggy and put your hand inside the bag and rub it across your paint before and after.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I've been on these boards for a long time. I was on the old SLP board back in the day with Ken the wolfman that makes any zaino junky you've ever met seem small time. Sal over at zaino has been sponsoring boards since way back when and has done a ton for people over the years. I would buy zaino even if it was just a mediocre polish.....the fact that it's a damn good polish is just a bonus for me. I'd do it just to support Sal. I've seen him do some pretty cool stuff for the car guys. Go ahead....email Sal yourself with some questions. I have money that says he responds in less than 24 hours. He's a great guy.
    Sorry Orion. I meant no disrespect. My car has been my daily driver for years and if it looked half as good as yours, y2k or sarges I would splurge for the better product myself.

I have heard nothing but fantastic quality about the Zaino products myself but personally think it's overkill for my application.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Sorry Orion. I meant no disrespect. My car has been my daily driver for years and if it looked half as good as yours, y2k or sarges I would splurge for the better product myself.

I have heard nothing but fantastic quality about the Zaino products myself but personally think it's overkill for my application.
    that was taken wrong...that was in no way directed at anyone. I was just stating what I've seen Sal do over the years and why I use zaino.

I see now that I quoted you......have no idea why I even quoted you.

White
    2002 VY SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Directly from Zainos website, detailed info about claybar and what it does. Basically, it removes contaminents/debris from your paint that other cleaners/chemicals can't remove. Claybar is pretty much the same thing from brand to brand, with the exception of liquid claybar(waste of time).

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=19
    clay bar is exactly that.....a bar of clay. You keep the paint wet and rub the bar on the car. It'll pick up stuff out of the paint you didn't even know was there. There used to be a test you could do but since no one smokes anymore ( myself included) you'd have to alter it a little bit. Take the cellophane off of a pack of smokes and stick 2 fingers in it. Rub it gently across your paint and feel all the little crap that's stuck in the paint. Clay bar the area and repeat the test. It'll be as smooth as sarges ass after an application of z-6.
    Thanx guys... I'll look into it...

It'll be as smooth as sarges ass after an application of z-6.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

I just wish my budget could afford Zaino

Silver/Black
    1995 Z28

You should try and figure out a way. After the initial investment, you will find that it is very cheap compared to many other products. For example, when you mix the Z2 or Z5 with the ZFX, it takes 1 ounce of Z2 or Z5 mixed with 4 to 6 drops of ZFX to do your car with at least 3 coats. Zaino recommends 1/4 to 1/2 ounce to do a car. This stuff is really cheap and really good.
    See ya,

Radome

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    I just wish my budget could afford Zaino
    Mine me asking what the budget is??

The best item you can purchase for your paint is a portercable.
    Which isn't exactly in a lot of people's budget right now.
    Zaino isn't all that expensive, and works GREAT for the price. Just has to be applied correctly.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Mine me asking what the budget is??

The best item you can purchase for your paint is a portercable.
    Which isn't exactly in a lot of people's budget right now.
    Zaino isn't all that expensive, and works GREAT for the price. Just has to be applied correctly.
    ok......... how much for portercable/Zaino products and which do I need ?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    ok......... how much for portercable/Zaino products and which do I need ?
    The portercable is the pricey part.

I picked up EVERYTHING I use on my T/A for just under $400.
    But...that is easily 2 years worth of products.

My list....
    Portercable 7336, Prima Cut, Prima Swirl, Prima Finish, Prima Amigo, Prima Slick, Victoria's red wax/wash/detailer, applicator pads, backing plate, RejeX (for the daily driver's).

Preston will chime in eventually with the proper Zaino products to use with the portercable. I really don't know which of their products do what. Never used them
    Seen great results though, just not what I use.

Just don't tell anyone I said that.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll be the first person to tell you that you can make your car look good with a whole bunch of different polishes. Prima, zymol, mequires, mothers, and the list goes on and on. You spend the time on the car and it will look good. The difference for me personally is I never see ANY of those other brands on the forums supporting our hobby. Sal, I've seen for the last 10 years or so on ALL the forums. It doesn't hurt that I get an awesome finish with zaino either.

Luos, I tried my porter cable for the first time this season. Man, I just don't know wtf I'm doing I guess because it was looking worse than doing it by hand. I ended up just finishing the car by hand. I spent an entire day on it with 3M swirl/scratch remover and I didn't really see much difference. I think it's the pads I was using. I have no idea which pads to buy. When I was putting the polish on the car it kept leaving these little blemishes where ever I used the buffer. That's when I switched to doing it by hand. Any tips?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
    Yeah! This is all I've done over the years and my paint seemed to look ok. And a newb question I've finally built the courage to ask... What is Clay Bar anyway? I've seen it mentioned here over and over and all I can picture is some schmuck wiping some crappy rubber soil out of his garden all over his car.. Spare the laughter and enlighten me...

Here are some pics after a recent Kitten No1 session...

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Click for full size
    The clay bar is the greatest invention for car detailing ever! I've found this is especially true for a black car. My car had soot/tar/grime all over the bumper and it was noticably rough to the touch. One round of clay barring and it was smooth as can be...it seemed barely necessary to wax. You can just see all the crap that was on the car once you run a clay bar over it. I had no idea how dirty my car was until it tried it for the first time last year.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I'll be the first person to tell you that you can make your car look good with a whole bunch of different polishes. Prima, zymol, mequires, mothers, and the list goes on and on. You spend the time on the car and it will look good. The difference for me personally is I never see ANY of those other brands on the forums supporting our hobby. Sal, I've seen for the last 10 years or so on ALL the forums.
    As mentioned...I actually have ZERO problems with Zaino. I just like to harass the Zaino users here. It is just in fun.
    I actually SERIOUSLY looked at Zaino before picking up my Prima products. Prima is a local company to me, and I have seen the results myself. They offer a very solid line of products, but they aren't as widely known as Zaino.
    I have a feeling they will be eventually.
    Luos, I tried my porter cable for the first time this season. Man, I just don't know wtf I'm doing I guess because it was looking worse than doing it by hand. I ended up just finishing the car by hand. I spent an entire day on it with 3M swirl/scratch remover and I didn't really see much difference. I think it's the pads I was using. I have no idea which pads to buy. When I was putting the polish on the car it kept leaving these little blemishes where ever I used the buffer. That's when I switched to doing it by hand. Any tips?
    What color pads were you using???

I have 4 pads total.
    Yellow pad
    Orange pad
    White pad
    Black pad

I use the yellow pad with a more harser cut product. For me...the Prima Cut.
    I use the orange pad with the swirl cutter product. For me...the Prima Swirl.
    I use the white pad with a polish. For me...Prima Finish.
    I use the black pad with a glaze. For me...Prima Amigo (best damn product ever).

Speed also plays a huge role. Start slow...speed up the PorterCable until the product is basicly gone (worked in/transparent).

I apply my wax by hand.
    Although Victoria's Red is supposed to be applied by BARE HANDS. The friction is supposed to activate the wax the best.
    Personally....I tend to use Meguiars foam applicator pads.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information