WS6 seats, aftermarket or factory?

This is a discussion on WS6 seats, aftermarket or factory? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; Hello all. I am going to change the color of my interior. I currently have tan and black interior. I ...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

WS6 seats, aftermarket or factory?

Hello all.

I am going to change the color of my interior. I currently have tan and black interior.
    I am going to change it out for black, with red splashed in. I plan on changing out the fabric in the door panels to red, and get some red stitching done on the shift boot, simple, small things like that.

I originally intended on changing my seats out for the racing style seats that are being sold on ebay. My seats are tan, and the driver's side recently got a tear in it. So, I was thinking about black seats with a little bit of red in them. But, I am hesitant on getting these seats. They seem really cheap, and you have to buy seats, sliders,and brackets. You also lose the power adjustments.

When I found all the pieces I needed to change out my interior, the guy has a set of seats for the front and back that are flawless for $700. I knwo the price is good, but I would like some opinions on if I should stick with factory, or go with the aftermarket seats. I want to install seat heaters/coolers, and I am pretty sure I can put them in the factory seats no sweat. Can I put them in the aftermarket seats?

What would you guys do? I want some more support, I want to bring some of the red color into the interior, I want to install heaters/coolers, I want some more lateral support, and I want to probably install 5 pts in the near future if I go with the aftermarket seats.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I vote for racing seats like the ones 6LE use to sell.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could go with the aftermarket seats and fab up a way to keep your power seat tracks.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Rich, have you seen any of these aftermarket seats in a TA? I have to call in the morning and let the guy know if I want them for sure. Can I re-use my seat tracks with any of the aftermarket seats?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I am fine with having a seperate set of switches for the power seats, because I am going to need to set up a bank of switches for the cool/heat pads I am going to install.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I am fine with having a seperate set of switches for the power seats, because I am going to need to set up a bank of switches for the cool/heat pads I am going to install.
    I know with Mad racing seats all that is needed to use the factory rails are L brackets and drill some holes on the brackets for the seat mounting point and the rail mounting point.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The only F-bodies I have seen with racing seats had Recaros, Cobras or Kirkeys. They were in GMHTP and they deleted the power seat tracks. But I'm all for ingenuity.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I decided to just stay with the factory seats. I picked up a nice set of black ones from a Firehawk. The only thing is that they are dry. Any suggestions on what to do/use to soften them up? The guy who sold them to me suggested I use WD-40... Not sure?

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I decided to just stay with the factory seats. I picked up a nice set of black ones from a Firehawk. The only thing is that they are dry. Any suggestions on what to do/use to soften them up? The guy who sold them to me suggested I use WD-40... Not sure?
    I use this:

You can pick it up at walmart or similar stores. Wear gloves when you use it though or your hands will smell like it for a long time.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Thanks. I will give it a shot.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Saddle soap, Meguiar's or Mother's leather/vinyl cleaner/protectant will work as well.

Thread Information