Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Write up on how to light up the front bird

This is a discussion on Write up on how to light up the front bird within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by BURNEM No I bought 4 sets i drilled a 1/4" hole on the right side of the ...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BURNEM View Post
    No I bought 4 sets i drilled a 1/4" hole on the right side of the bumper on the flat spot behind the plate. I placed 4 in one hole and 4 in the lower hole. i'll get a pic of it posted. Those was 6 now I have all 8 in it. With 8 the space is about 1/4" between tubes. its bright.
    intresting...

white/Viper blue
    01 WS6

Mine is supposed to be out lined but its too bright for a white decal

the holes and wires. This way is by far harder, than my original posted method. The foam bumper reinforcement is in the way. I had to run a guide line. Then attach the cathode feeds to it, and pull them through.

Bird lit a 5 in the afternoon in my yard

same time un lit
    Last edited by BURNEM; 07-30-2007 at 09:35 AM.

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    02' WS6 TRANS AM

Mine is supposed to be out lined but its too bright for a white decal

Click for full size
    the holes and wires. This way is by far harder, than my original posted method. The foam bumper reinforcement is in the way. I had to run a guide line. Then attach the cathode feeds to it, and pull them through.
    Click for full size
    Bird lit a 5 in the afternoon in my yard
    Click for full size
    same time un lit
    Click for full size

How did you wire them up? Did you splice them up with your fog lights cause your cathodes were lit without them being on? Where would you get a power source for so many lights without damaging your power source?

white/Viper blue
    01 WS6

I have an independant power source from the fuse box inside. I wired from the one marked battery 30 amp fuse, to power my nitrous kits. From this line I power the bird,so when the bird is lit the kit is armed.
    My nitrous kits,nitrous gauge lights and bird is on one line.

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    02' WS6 TRANS AM

what can i do to get this independant power source? just get that 30amp fuse? and if so how and when will the bird light up whenever the car starts or would i need to get a switch?

Thanks for all your help man...

white/Viper blue
    01 WS6

Pm sent

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Burnem, what color are your fogs? stock "yellow" or did you get something that matches the cathodes better...i'm thinking about getting some photo-filter paper in a light yellow to cover the cathodes in to make them a little more yellow, b/c they look out of place next to the stock fogs, etc.

white/Viper blue
    01 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    Burnem, what color are your fogs? stock "yellow" or did you get something that matches the cathodes better...i'm thinking about getting some photo-filter paper in a light yellow to cover the cathodes in to make them a little more yellow, b/c they look out of place next to the stock fogs, etc.
    I have silver star fog lights and hyper whites in my turn signals and side markers. I have some lite blue covers for fog and turn signal from fbody enhancements they look good when I have them on.

They have a glare thats off color from everything else but they still match up well.

I need to get more weather stripping to keep the light from seeping out from behind the plate.

Heres my markers

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

that shit looks nice. i thought about doing somehthing like that to the camaro lettering.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I have silver star fog lights and hyper whites in my turn signals and side markers. I have some lite blue covers for fog and turn signal from fbody enhancements they look good when I have them on.

They have a glare thats off color from everything else but they still match up well.
    Click for full size
    I need to get more weather stripping to keep the light from seeping out from behind the plate.

Heres my markers
    Click for full size
    i'd like to see that again, can you take a shot just before sundown so it doesn't get all hyper-contrasty like that

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

i would really like a kit if im correct someone said there was one on ebay if someone could throw me a link or a company name i would greatly appreciate it

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    i would really like a kit if im correct someone said there was one on ebay if someone could throw me a link or a company name i would greatly appreciate it
    that was sandman22-he was selling his b/c the PoPo kept pulling him over.

Just review this thread and it tells you all that you need. basically, masking tape, a clear plate from afterthoughtsauto.com and the cathode light kit can be bought from xioxide.com. I had a body shop paint mine after I masked it and it came out great-just make sure to ask them to remove the tape before clear coating so that it seals the edges.

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    02' WS6 TRANS AM

How many cathodes do you guys recommend putting on?
    I was planning to cut a piece of sheet metal and attach the cathodes to it so the light can reflect a lil better and brighter! But i still don't know how many light bars to get?

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

did that plate come in yet?

the cathode set comes with 2...i think 4 would do it if you're just outlining the bird, but in Burn's case, you can see through his bird, so he put 8 in

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    02' WS6 TRANS AM

Nope, not yet I keep looking outside though...!
    I got your pm and checked the tracking number, i think it said it was bearly leaving your location...

Yeah that's kinda what i was thinking just getting 4 and placing them well spaced out throughout the bird so i can get good lighting on the outline!
    How many did you have and.... I was thinking what do you think of having the whole bird light up instead of the outline, would it be a pain in the butt to do that since you can only see through the outline?

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you'd have to remove the paint from the one i sent you. Not a fun job.

I have 2 and they look weak. Gonna put two more in sometime after the wedding probably

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    02' WS6 TRANS AM

I hear you... i'm tired of flowers, hall, cake, dress, appointments here and there and spending money like a freaking maniac. I'm almost there not till Oct.

But getting back to topic... That's probably what i'll do. I'm gonna wire 2 sets of 2 together for a total of 4 and splice them to my fog lights or a switch and see how it looks.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

should be pretty bitchin

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    02' WS6 TRANS AM

Hey everyone I was about to get the cathodes, but i wanted to know they are the ones from xoxide.com under the computer lighting section, "COLD CATHODES" right? Needed to know this before making the purchase hopefuly today!!!

And they say that they can be attached by using adhiesive tape on the ends... How have you guys mounted them on the plate? I would think that if they're attached by the ends there's a better chance they'll fall!

And would these resist water? The plate tends to be kinda low don't wanna screw them up... any suggestions?

Thanks guys... for me!

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    02' WS6 TRANS AM

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKIN WS6 View Post
    Hey everyone I was about to get the cathodes, but i wanted to know they are the ones from xoxide.com under the computer lighting section, "COLD CATHODES" right? Needed to know this before making the purchase hopefuly today!!!

And they say that they can be attached by using adhiesive tape on the ends... How have you guys mounted them on the plate? I would think that if they're attached by the ends there's a better chance they'll fall!

And would these resist water? The plate tends to be kinda low don't wanna screw them up... any suggestions?

Thanks guys... for me!
    HELP....!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information