Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

wrapping my interior

I was thinking of trying my hand at leather wrapping, I am going to try small and simple pieces first, but I am not sure what leather to get and where to get it. Has anyone done this before to the whole interior? How hard is it to do? What other supplies would be needed? I was thinking I would need some sort of adhesive and maybe a heat gun. Also, would leather be the best to get or is there something better? I was looking at 3m Di-Noc but it appears to mostly come in carbon fiber weave and I am unsure how that would look on all of my plastic in my interior. Opinions and info would be appreciated.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

For leather the first tool you'll need to invest in for curves is a steamer..

For CF, you'll need to purchase the chemicals and the cloth.. Ebay has it about as cheap as I have seen around..

I had planned on a carbon rebody for my 01 before I sold it.

For leather, you'll have to shop around for best prices and thinknesses you desire..

The thinner you go the easier it will be to bend around complex curves..

I have done vynil myself a few times as it's much more plyable and cheaper than leather, also requires less care..

However it's vynil (man made) so longevity will always be questionable..

Wrapping panels will look sweet..

Many times you can pattern your flatter panels out of thin plywood as this will allow for securing the material to the back of the panel easier..

There's also spray adhesives for use in the upolstery(sp) industry as well..

If you go that route, you'll need to find plastic "friendly" adhesives as some adhesives contain acetone which will melt some types of plastics..

Black/ Silver

Ok thanks, for the information. I guess I need to decide what to use, whether it's cf(which may look ricey), vinyl, or leather. I think I need some opinions on which to use and or pictures of what it looks like. If I go with leather, any idea what a good thickness to work with would be? I was thinking 1-2mm but closer to 1mm. But if I go with vinyl what sort of vinyl would be good for wrapping my interior with? Then there is the carbon fiber, does anyone know much about 3m's di-noc black carbon fiber weave, like the quality. I am curious on how that would look on the interior. I need to find some pics, as I don't want to cf my interior and it ends up looking ricey.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 09-26-2011 at 07:17 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

here's some links to materials..

I've used cloth backed vynil for covering car parts before..

As far as leather goes thinkness IMHO, should depend on how much it gets handled..

If it's too thin you may wear through it just from use..

Too thick and it will be a pita to work with..

You can do vynil on a regular sewing machine for the most part..

However for leather, depending on thinkness used will require a leather sewing maching as a standard machine may not be able to drive a needle through layers or folds on some leather types..

Sorry I don't have the pics from some vynil work I posted here a couple of years ago anymore..

leather fabric | eBay
    leather upholstery fabric | eBay
    leather hide | eBay
    carbon fiber fabric | eBay
    kevlar cloth | eBay

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    here's some links to materials..

I've used cloth backed vynil for covering car parts before..

As far as leather goes thinkness IMHO, should depend on how much it gets handled..

If it's too thin you may wear through it just from use..

Too thick and it will be a pita to work with..

You can do vynil on a regular sewing machine for the most part..

However for leather, depending on thinkness used will require a leather sewing maching as a standard machine may not be able to drive a needle through layers or folds on some leather types..

Sorry I don't have the pics from some vynil work I posted here a couple of years ago anymore..

leather fabric | eBay
    leather upholstery fabric | eBay
    leather hide | eBay
    carbon fiber fabric | eBay
    kevlar cloth | eBay
    Thanks! Well most of my interior doesn't get handled that much but that being said I would like it to last pretty much forever, so I probably will want a little thicker if I go with leather. I just am not sure what would be too thick to work with. I know what kevlar is but how does it feel compared to say carbon fiber or leather? I have never felt it before. I think I am between leather(not sure between leather fabric or hide) and carbon fiber or maybe even kevlar cloth depending on how it feels. I am trying to get a luxurious look for my car and not a cheap looking interior, it needs to look like it came from the factory this way. I may order a sample of each and wrap it around a couple of panels and compare them. Also, why would I require a sewing machine for the leather if I am just adhering it to the plastic interior? Sorry for all of the questions, I just haven't done this before and I want it to come out perfect.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Thanks! Well most of my interior doesn't get handled that much but that being said I would like it to last pretty much forever, so I probably will want a little thicker if I go with leather. I just am not sure what would be too thick to work with. I know what kevlar is but how does it feel compared to say carbon fiber or leather? I have never felt it before. I think I am between leather(not sure between leather fabric or hide) and carbon fiber or maybe even kevlar cloth depending on how it feels. I am trying to get a luxurious look for my car and not a cheap looking interior, it needs to look like it came from the factory this way. I may order a sample of each and wrap it around a couple of panels and compare them. Also, why would I require a sewing machine for the leather if I am just adhering it to the plastic interior? Sorry for all of the questions, I just haven't done this before and I want it to come out perfect.
    Mostly for making any seams.. But if you're only wrapping prolly won't need it..

An added seam here and there can make things look much nicer sometimes is all..

Kevlar will feel like CF there just seems to be more color options in kevlar that's why I included it in the links..

Black/ Silver

Ah okay well that makes sense. Well hopefully soon I'll figure out what I want to do and then I'll post up pictures when it's done.

Black/ Silver

Here are some pleather samples I got and I was wondering what people thought would look the best wrapped on my panels. I should be getting some kevlar and carbon fiber samples too.

Thread Information