Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Winged doors?

This is a discussion on Winged doors? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; ...

Blue
    1999 Blown Trans Am

What ever happened to if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all.

This is what I have seen about this kind of door. There are accentually two kinds of kits, the weld on and the bolt on. The bold on are vehicle specific. The weld on are universal. If you don’t buy crap you should get shocks that come with the hinges. There shocks will help with the weight of the door. Bolt on are much faster to install. There are a few companies you could go through they are listed below.

www.lambodoors.com

www.lsd-doors.com

www.decah.net

www.verticaldoors.com

www.gtfactory.jp

www.wingdoors.com

www.jtautostyle.com

Also if you go and pick up the August/September issue of DUB they have an article about the history and they go over a few of the places that make them…..OH and Terra Patrick is in there to but I bought it for the article on the doors….???

1966 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    hard to believe a door that heavy can be supported like that... i would think it would be pretty hard on the supports to have the door open for more than a few seconds
    actually the most stress takes place when the door is horizontal... the support always has to take the same shear stress, but the moment force is much greater when the door is in its normal position...

-me

silver
    02 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I was also looking into it and even though most still open normally about 10 inches, I was told they wont let you run at a track with them in case you would flip over. Dont know how much truth is to that, if any but still kinda cool to me.

eddie
    2002 Trans Am WS6 408ci Stroker Motor
    150 Shot NOS Pacesetter Long Tubes
    Magnaflow Exhaust Eibach Prokit
    19x10 fronts, 19x11 back CCW Wheels
    (2) 12 Kicker Squares 1400watt Kicker 2 channel

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    hard to believe a door that heavy can be supported like that... i would think it would be pretty hard on the supports to have the door open for more than a few seconds

these doors are basically fiberglass. they're pretty light compared to my metal doors on my old Thirdgen.

IYP
    Quote Originally Posted by cylpimp View Post
    I was also looking into it and even though most still open normally about 10 inches, I was told they wont let you run at a track with them in case you would flip over. Dont know how much truth is to that, if any but still kinda cool to me.

eddie
    you make an interesting point there...saw one on wingedoors.com that opens out and then up, works out the problem of parking garages and flips

Red
    2002 WS6 TransAm

not the best mod to do, but if you like it, well.....

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

not every one is worried about running at the track. i say do it.

Black
    97 Formula

Verticle door kits still open regularly to a certain degree, then go up. I think it's either vertical door kits or decah's kits that allow the door to open normally before going up. If I had the money laying around, I'd do it to my car.

Pewter
    2000 WS.6 T/A

theres all kinds of different lambo kits- I know JTautostyle.com has them for less than a G im pretty sure- They are based out of Rosemead california- Basically the kit is strong, but I think the bigger the shock the better- i would probably want to upgrade from the regular one- now somethin really pimpin would be suicide doors on a TA ... ANYONE have this or pics???

Black
    97 Formula

I've seen suicide doors on a 3rdgen Camaro.

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    im not gonna tell you not to do it, to each his own... you need to know its expensive around $1500 to $2000 installed if i remeber correctly and on a camaro you have to trim fenders a bit... (dont know about a t/a)

places like wingdoors.com have them listed for $1000 for parts... just google lambo doors or vertical door kits and im sure you will find what you want...

i would say unless you have your car modded out pretty well... take that $2000 and put it into engine goodies or if you are interested in making your bird look better put it into wheels and tires...

-me
    Your right, I know a guy here that put the lambo doors on his SS and he had to trim the mirror moling on the fron fender.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

a lot of vert door kits don't allow for the really high door so you can get out. the silver t/a with a bird graphic is one I would NOT want on my t/a, but there are better ones, http://www.aerokits.net/. try that site, it has a lot of different stuff. I want the 'gullwing' or the diablo door kit. that looks even more unique IMO. if I had the cash I would do it definitely.

jeff gordon
    2001 Trans Am

hey i got them on my 2001 trans am convertible. they look cool IMO the chicks love'm and the fellows hate'm!!!!! but they are a PAIN in the butt!!!! i've tried different shocks. some make the door shoot up and you can't hardly pull it down so i went to weaker shock and now i got to strain to push the door up. i think our doors are just to heavy. but autoloc.com does sell an automatic kit that makes the doors go up or down with the push of a button.

Silver
    1996 Camaro 3.8L

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdaddy07 View Post
    I checked out the sight and I kinda like it. These doors are huge and make it hard to get in and out in a lot of places without hitting the door. Wings might solve that problem.
    Yeah, I'm on the same side with that observation. Be alot easier to get the hell out of my car in a tight parking lot. Seems a little showy though. Meh, to each his/her own.

SamD_Ind

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Ive seen universal weld in place hinges & custom bolt in place ones. If I were going to do it I'd get the bolt in ones made for the Trans Am.
    jm2c
    Sam

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

send mrmgtr@aol.com an email, he can get you the parts you need.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by fabrizi View Post
    send mrmgtr@aol.com an email, he can get you the parts you need.
    where's he based and what kinds can he get?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

hey man, if u like it do it. i like it. i would LOVE to do that to even my car haha. but the doors would be worth more than the car is...

if it was free, id be all over it. IMO, its just not worth more than a couple hundred dollars.

so yea, u got a thumbs up from ATC, only negative side i see is the cost.

btw, its really cool to see realistic guys on here.
    to everyone that just immediately flamed the original poster: **#^%@#$ you. he didnt ask for opinions. its bullshit that ppl ask a question about a mod and immediately get flamed just cuz somebody else doesnt like it. saying u dont like it is one thing. tahts completely acceptable, to each is his own. but hes obviously pretty much decided on doing it, so dont try changing his mind, its not ur car

to everyone that just said "fuck it, do it"... rep points for u guys. thank you for respecting someone else's opinion and taste. these boards need more ppl like u. a guy shouldnt be too afraid of getting flamed to ask a question that he needs to ask.

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Company is based in Rowlett, Texas. Send him an email with what you're looking for. I just saw a TA get Lambo doors done today, in fact. Looks great.

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

I like it .. I dont I wouldnt want it to go all the way up but I was looking into it income tax time ... got a stereo and speakers instead ... but i say go for it and psot some pics ....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information