Will my 18" chrome rims get scraped with snow cha?

Will my 18" z06 chrome rims get scraped with snow chains?

I'm really worried about this. I've never put snow chains on my camaro before. I'm looking for snow chains with the rubber stuff on there but all the ones I've seen only have the rubber stuff towards the middle and not the outside of the wheel

I'm thinking of wrapping the side part of the snow chain in duct tape, to prevent scratching.

anyone else got any ideas?

thanks
    Pascal

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

buy another set of rims and tires for the snow (winter), or do like many of us have and buy a beater and let your camaro be a garage queen

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

camaro + snow= NOOOO

White
    1998 Trans Am

My trans Am was a DD for many years in MA. Not good in the snow. If you wanna use chanes go get some crap steel wheels from a junkyard or some cheap stock 16's. i sold my factory chrome 16's(3 were peeling for $150 w/ 2 good tires and 2 almost bald tires. So you can get some cheap.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree with getting another set of wheels/tires. PLUS chrome rims, once exposed to snow/salt, will corrode over time causing leaks where the tire meets the rim. I have to deal with chrome wheels on a daily basis and I have to remove flaking chrome plating or suggest replacement wheels outright.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

if anything just get snow tires, dont get chains. you dont want to have to put those on everytime it snows. and where are u in cali that you would even consider chains?

but i second the idea of new wheels. just get some old 16" and get snow tires.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Snow chains on our cars are a terrible idea, in every possible way. Get another car to drive during the winters, move, or sell your car. That's just a shame to think of. Honestly.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

re

the thing is, its only for one or two days, if even that much.
    My trip up to lake tahoe is about 200 miles in dry weather: a trip I'd rather make with my camaro; i love taking road trips with my camaro.
    99% of the time I'll be driving on dry land but, its that last 20 miles or so that requires chains. If the weather is nice and sunny (50% chance), I won't need to put them on but if the weather snows then I'll have to put them on.

I don't know if I want to get another set of wheels for 20 miles. I'm only visiting there for one month; I won't be driving it much during that month anyway (1/2 the time its not snowy or salty).
    Last edited by xAgentP; 02-26-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

Quote Originally Posted by xAgentP View Post
    the thing is, its only for one or two days, if even that much.
    My trip up to lake tahoe is about 200 miles in dry weather: a trip I'd rather make with my camaro; i love taking road trips with my camaro.
    99% of the time I'll be driving on dry land but, its that last 20 miles or so that requires chains. If the weather is nice and sunny (50% chance), I won't need to put them on but if the weather snows then I'll have to put them on.

I don't know if I want to get another set of wheels for 20 miles. I'm only visiting there for one month; I won't be driving it much during that month anyway (1/2 the time its not snowy or salty).
    stop 21 miles from your destination and get a rental?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

if its bad enough to even consider chains most likely it wont even matter on a camaro. chains or no chains youre ass isnt going anywhere in snow. dont even do it, youll just regret it.

2 summers ago i spent the summer in maine working at a camp, and i had just got my car so i went against everything everyone advised and i took it. there were some trips to the mountains, and various other places, not to mention leaving the car outside for the summer. i wanted to cry every time i got onto some rough terrain or when i saw that thing covered in pollen, and i cant even imagine what i would have done if it was salt and snow. its your car, do what you want, but from experience, ill never do another road trip like that in my car again.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Trust me I drove during this nightmare of a ice/storm storm. If you have to pick up something of the same size bolt pattern with studded tires on it.

Im sure they make shitty steel wheels for little to nothing

Black
    '98 Z28

I've got a set of stock 16" in my attic, if you are interested. Still got the tires on them, though they are almost bald. Name a price.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by xAgentP View Post
    the th
    ing is, its only for one or two days, if even that much.

Ya but 20 miles is enough for the chains to trash your rims. Could be an expensive trip.
    I used to drive in the snow in MA every winter, that's why it spent 8 years on stock wheels, and it looked ok till the chrome started peeling.

Thread Information