Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

why black wheels?

This is a discussion on why black wheels? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by Jdep162 yeah ive seen lots of trucks too. just seems like every other "my new wheels thread" ...

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Jdep162 View Post
    yeah ive seen lots of trucks too. just seems like every other "my new wheels thread" starts out with a nice looking chrome wheel, and then the after pic shows them all matte black. blech. they look like the spare tire, except all around. btw im 3 hours north of u, this weather sucks!! i wanna drive my Z.
    i hate the cold and snow thats why im moving to so cal in a few months and is the hole flat look that i dont car for i like the wheels to sine wether it black or crome but thats just me
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykerg8GT View Post
    I've got gloss black powdercoated stock wheels and it's because I have a black and blue theme to my car. With my G8 being a 4-door I didn't think color matching the wheels to Stryker blue would have been a good look so I went gloss black. You either like the look or you don't. I've had people make comments both good and bad, just depends on the person.
    we have a guy around me that has a g8 that color and he as some custom paint match wheels on it and i have to say it looks good but if i didnt see it for my self i wouldnt think it would

Stryker Blue
    2009 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    we have a guy around me that has a g8 that color and he as some custom paint match wheels on it and i have to say it looks good but if i didnt see it for my self i wouldnt think it would
    If you ever get a chance to get some pics of his car please post them. I'd like to see how it looks.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

if i see it i will he only pops up at the cruse ins a few times a year and i dont know if i will still live here when they start agean

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

This is really only a personal choice kind of question. It really doesn't matter what you like because it isn't your car. I do agree however that matte/flat black wheels look dirty and not very "cool". I'm not a fan of plasti-dip unless it's only on for a couple of weeks for a look before you do it. Like someone said up there, paint is permanent so go big, or go home.

Here is why I personally dont have chrome wheels. I've got a '01 red SS. The sail panel is black, the tires are black, the stock badges are silver and black (but are now red and black), my rear panel is gloss black, gloss black whistler'd headlights, all red tail lights, my interior is ebony with red and black houndstooth centers and the manta on the hood is gloss black. (paint, not a sticker. Go big or go home, right?) So with all that said, why would I want silver or chrome wheels on my car?

So I went with gloss black Spyders.

Stryker Blue
    2009 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE View Post
    This is really only a personal choice kind of question. It really doesn't matter what you like because it isn't your car. I do agree however that matte/flat black wheels look dirty and not very "cool". I'm not a fan of plasti-dip unless it's only on for a couple of weeks for a look before you do it. Like someone said up there, paint is permanent so go big, or go home.

Here is why I personally dont have chrome wheels. I've got a '01 red SS. The sail panel is black, the tires are black, the stock badges are silver and black (but are now red and black), my rear panel is gloss black, gloss black whistler'd headlights, all red tail lights, my interior is ebony with red and black houndstooth centers and the manta on the hood is gloss black. (paint, not a sticker. Go big or go home, right?) So with all that said, why would I want silver or chrome wheels on my car?

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Great color combo. And I agree, if you have black accents on the car then black wheels are the way to go.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

On some cars they work, but usually I end up thinking that those are the spare or winter wheels, the owner is keeping the nice ones for nice days.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    this is tru and like i posted i like them most of the time if they are sinny like you have but unlike most people that do this to there car you did it the right way and it looks dang good. i did see a set of wheel the othere day with black that i would like to have on my car they are a nes set of weld wheels

I only like black wheels in 2 instances.

If it's a classic muscle car with painted steel wheels and dog dish hub caps

Or if it's a 4x4 truck.

Otherwise I don't dig the black wheel thing. I do like polished lips if the center of the wheel is grey (like a TT2) but if the center is black it just doesn't appeal to me. Only advantage I see with black wheels is that they don't show brake dust easily, and that particular person hates to clean the car?

I'm considering a C5 Z06. It's black and the factory Z06 wheels are the factory grey. I can deal with that, just enough contrast to stick out but not overkill. A subtle approach.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

I just plain don't like chrome. Never really have. Like a few people have said, it's a matter of personal opinion. Plus white with black just looks clean

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Definitely works on your ride-It fits the color scheme...like the painted manta too...was that done on top of factory paint ?
    Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    I just plain don't like chrome. Never really have. Like a few people have said, it's a matter of personal opinion. Plus white with black just looks clean
    Yup your Artic white would look good with the black !! I saw a rim somewhere that had a black finish on the inside and white in the center first i wasnt sure but it was so different it grew on me.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Im still sportin the factory 17" 10-spoke silver/grey.probably should have ordered the chrome but at the time i was trying to keep the costs down and knew i would be replacing them anyway with larger customs of some kind?....never thought i would STILL have them BOO!!...but other things such as life came first! Ive seen some SOM painted cars such as Alex`s(Tatertots) and others in town that have chrome and it looks great with the SOM and black sail...Ive always liked the ZR-1( i think thats what they are) chrome webbed type wheels ever since i saw a few on a couple of Corvettes ive seen them in black gloss and chrome..I dont know if theyd fit or how much they are but id sport those in a minute!! Ive entertained the idea of painting my stockers maybe just black on the spokes leaving the wheel house alone or black the wheel house and leave the spokes silver...or leave them alone LOL,,,,im just tired of them but have no funds for that yet? Opinions welcome......
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 01-22-2013 at 03:02 PM.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    You have black wheels?

I didn't notice

BTW great car,awesome girl

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Im still sportin the factory 17" 10-spoke silver/grey.probably should have ordered the chrome but at the time i was trying to keep the costs down and knew i would be replacing them anyway with larger customs of some kind?....never thought i would STILL have them BOO!!...but other things such as life came first! Ive seen some SOM painted cars such as Alex`s(Tatertots) and others in town that have chrome and it looks great with the SOM and black sail...Ive always liked the ZR-1( i think thats what they are) chrome webbed type wheels ever since i saw a few on a couple of Corvettes ive seen them in black gloss and chrome..I dont know if theyd fit or how much they are but id sport those in a minute!! Ive entertained the idea of painting my stockers maybe just black on the spokes leaving the wheel house alone or black the wheel house and leave the spokes silver...or leave them alone LOL,,,,im just tired of them but have no funds for that yet? Opinions welcome......
    My opinion: Leave them alone, clean them to like new again and admire. Put on ceramic brake pads to keep the wheels clean. Save the $$$ to make the car faster!

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    My opinion: Leave them alone, clean them to like new again and admire. Put on ceramic brake pads to keep the wheels clean. Save the $$$ to make the car faster!
    I agree 100%. I prefer the stock appearance on the outside, hide what is underneath, no one is the wiser Spend your money on go fast goodies.

Stryker Blue
    2009 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    You have black wheels?

I didn't notice

BTW great car,awesome girl

Yeah, it took me a while to find the car in that first pic also.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Thanks- yeah they are actually pretty clean still and look better when i clean the inside wheel I have Hawk hp ceramics now so???
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I agree 100%. I prefer the stock appearance on the outside, hide what is underneath, no one is the wiser Spend your money on go fast goodies.
    Agree- years before my SS i had a Z-car that i was re-doing from the outside in it had one bad ass set of chrome rims (still have them) that car looked real good on the outside but i was waiting(saving) to get a custom built engine for it(about $5,000) It needed so much with interior and all - I ended up saving some more money and ordered my 02 SS instead(best thing i could have done) and what you and Toofast are saying is what i had in mind this time work it from the inside out......it aint cheap but worth it!! Id still like to get some wheels though!!! Ive got a long way to go to get were i want the car to be....who am i kidding us car guys are NEVER really finished...theres always something huh..
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 01-23-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^yeah always something. Like kids wanting things like food, clothes. Wife wanting jewelry, clothes, food. Gotta make more $$$ dammit lol.

If you have Hawks ceramic then your wheels stay clean already, right? I noticed a huge difference after I put ceramics on the front, compared to stock pads. Even the calipers stay clean now.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

The wheel argument is just a matter of opinion. Everyone has their style, why bother getting worked up if you don't like it?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Ive seen some SOM painted cars such as Alex`s(Tatertots) and others in town that have chrome and it looks great with the SOM and black sail
    Just wanted to add that my wheels are polished not chrome. I personally like factory zr1s and if they're clean i would worry about other things besides wheels for now but that's just me. My stock 10 spokes were fading and rashed to hell so they had to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    The wheel argument is just a matter of opinion. Everyone has their style, why bother getting worked up if you don't like it?

Has someone gotten worked up?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Has someone gotten worked up?
    Enough to start a thread about it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information