Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

black
    1998 camaro

why black wheels?

ok, not to start a war of words, but why is it so popular these days, to take a perfect looking set of chrome wheels, stock or aftermarket, and black them out?
    i just dont get it. i see many cars on here that look awsome, shine, clean, and have matte black murdered out wheels? why is this so popular?
    am i getting that old? doesnt anyone else like good old chrome anymore. i think the polished lip look good, like the tt2 etc, but the whole plasti-dip black plastic look? honestly not trying to bash anyone, but what gives?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I don't like the whole wheel black but mine are black with a polished center cap and a polished lip. I personally don't like chrome,depending on the wheel because it is over done and looks really fake to me. I prefer polished aluminum to chrome.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I'm 52 and from the chrome wheel era of the 70's but Black wheels became popular with racing and the kids just went along with what they see on TV. Also, kids today don't want to spend time cleaning wheels and black hides the dirt well. I guess it is just a fad. Next generation may have body colored wheels or something like that with power coating prices coming down so much. JMO
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Never been a fan of all black wheels, polished lip looks good sometimes though. I like chrome with the right wheel.

black
    1998 camaro

very sharp car, i like the green accents, was gona do a grand sport stripe in that color. your wheels are sharp too, perfect match to the car. but if you had just matte blacked stock wheels, would look terrrible in my opinion, which is what i see alot of people do. nice ride.
    edit: at 98taws6

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Jdep162 View Post
    very sharp car, i like the green accents, was gona do a grand sport stripe in that color. your wheels are sharp too, perfect match to the car. but if you had just matte blacked stock wheels, would look terrrible in my opinion, which is what i see alot of people do. nice ride.
    edit: at 98taws6
    Thanks and I agree 100% with this, matte black looks horrible on stock or aftermarket wheels. Idk why people think black wheels are easier to clean, in fact they are PITA to keep clean .

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Polished Aluminum > Chrome > Anything else

Blog Entries

black an red
    00 z28 and 00 corvette

I saw a black c5 vette on craigs list for sale an it had black red line wheels on it, im not a big fan of black wheels myself but those looked pretty good with that red line around it especially on a black car....jmop.

01 SS

Black wheels fail.....a fad like stone wash jeans and parachute pants. In MOST cases, its about looking like a baddass. Put the badass between the fenders instead....

With any luck, they will run their course and go away.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by xssv View Post
    Black wheels fail.....a fad like stone wash jeans and parachute pants. In MOST cases, its about looking like a baddass. Put the badass between the fenders instead....

With any luck, they will run their course and go away.
    If you do any appearance mods at all it is about looking bad ass . Who does an appearance mod to look like wimp? I agree though you should be bad ass not just look it.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Once again its all a to each his own thing with customizing/colors etc....I had a set of split five star wheels on my last car and had alot of people like them!! I think it has alot to do with were you live too ie: your state,city etc...whats hot or cool in Calif might not be in Pennsylvania etc etc.. As far as black wheels yeah the matte finish isnt appealing to me id like a shinier finish and a chrome lip or rim...and im not sure if anyones ever heard of the old scholl black chrome (expensive!10 or anodizing but theres more to a black wheel then just matte. However chrome almost always makes any ride look hot it sets the tone for the rest of the car. and keith (2002ssslp) they have already wheels painted to match the color of their car ive seen some that make me wanna puke and others that had a little bit of color to match that were bad ass?...

NBM
    1999 TA A4

I did my 94 TA swirls black when I mounted my snow tires on them back in 96 they had rust stains in the clear from high metal pads.

BTW my car really stood out back then and I started a trend in my area.

When I got my white 95 3.4L Bird in 2003 as a DD for $1500.00 the Amoeba wheels were shot so I painted them black as they were not cared for and looked like shit.

When I picked up a set of Y2K's for my 2001 DD V6 Bird they were rough looking and I painted them black.

I got a set of rough looking Firebird 16" 5 spokes for my Drag radials I painted those black.

Last summer bought some 17" C5 Wagon wheels that had DR's on both sets Mickeys and Nitto's you guessed it they went black.

I recently bought some Centerline Drag race rims 15x10 and 15x4 guess what I am doing to them in the spring?

Its just easier to keep them looking good in adverse conditions

black
    1998 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    If you do any appearance mods at all it is about looking bad ass . Who does an appearance mod to look like wimp? I agree though you should be bad ass not just look it.
    ha, well, when i was 17, i made my car fast, loud, and shiny, and drove through town trying to impress girls and everyone else.
    now that im twice that age, i make my cars fats, loud, and shiny, but i couldnt care less about what anyone thinks of them, and i drive out of town, so that i can enjoy the car without anybody getting in my way. every appearance mod ive done, i cant think of one that was for impressing anybody besides me lol. the woman does like going 0-100 on to the freeway tho.

black
    1998 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    I did my 94 TA swirls black when I mounted my snow tires on them back in 96 they had rust stains in the clear from high metal pads.

BTW my car really stood out back then and I started a trend in my area.

When I got my white 95 3.4L Bird in 2003 as a DD for $1500.00 the Amoeba wheels were shot so I painted them black as they were not cared for and looked like shit.

When I picked up a set of Y2K's for my 2001 DD V6 Bird they were rough looking and I painted them black.

I got a set of rough looking Firebird 16" 5 spokes for my Drag radials I painted those black.

Last summer bought some 17" C5 Wagon wheels that had DR's on both sets Mickeys and Nitto's you guessed it they went black.

I recently bought some Centerline Drag race rims 15x10 and 15x4 guess what I am doing to them in the spring?

Its just easier to keep them looking good in adverse conditions
    well to each their own, and i can appriciate someone doing what they like for themselves and not for others, everything i do to my car is just for me, dont care what other people think. i just wondered why the whole plasti-dip wheels thing is so popular.. as in people taking beautiful rims and making them look like my spare tire rims.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The world would be pretty boring if everyone dressed the same.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by Jdep162 View Post
    well to each their own, and i can appriciate someone doing what they like for themselves and not for others, everything i do to my car is just for me, dont care what other people think. i just wondered why the whole plasti-dip wheels thing is so popular.. as in people taking beautiful rims and making them look like my spare tire rims.
    Plasti Dip is for pussies

Paint is for keeps.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    The world would be pretty boring if everyone dressed the same.
    Agree- trends are already annoying enough!! First the baggie jeans now skinny jeans, seems like everyone likes to ride the ''trendy'' train ie: underarmor,Hollister,aeropostle everything from clothing to facial hair tatoos and piercings and even sayings...I guess thats all pop culture but at times its so annoying to me what happened to being original and unique?

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

I think they are way more in the truck world and they are dieing out in the cars I have some on my duramax but can't bring my self to put them on the ta. And I don't care for the flat look most of the time I painted my wheels flat black on the truck and am going to do it over so it sines

black
    1998 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    I think they are way more in the truck world and they are dieing out in the cars I have some on my duramax but can't bring my self to put them on the ta. And I don't care for the flat look most of the time I painted my wheels flat black on the truck and am going to do it over so it sines
    yeah ive seen lots of trucks too. just seems like every other "my new wheels thread" starts out with a nice looking chrome wheel, and then the after pic shows them all matte black. blech. they look like the spare tire, except all around. btw im 3 hours north of u, this weather sucks!! i wanna drive my Z.

Stryker Blue
    2009 G8 GT

I've got gloss black powdercoated stock wheels and it's because I have a black and blue theme to my car. With my G8 being a 4-door I didn't think color matching the wheels to Stryker blue would have been a good look so I went gloss black. You either like the look or you don't. I've had people make comments both good and bad, just depends on the person.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information