pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Where to get replacement third brake light (99 TA)

Does anybody know where I can get a third brake light replacement (the one in the spoiler) for a 99 Trans Am (t-top).

I've looked everywhere (ebay, search google... most of the sponsors) but I can't seem to find one for this car (other years and other models yes but not mine).

Thanks.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

it shouldn't matter if it's a 98,99,00,01,02 they should all be the same as long as it's a t/a and I think a firebird should work to.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

What I meant by other years is other years that aren't 4th gen. But thanks for your reply.

To clarify, I don't think I need the entire third brake light. I believe (let me know if I'm wrong) there is a plastic piece that is on top of the third brake light (flush with the top of the spoiler). This is the piece that is broken (i.e. gone). I say "believe" because it was like that when I got the car so I wasn't sure if that is part of the brake light, or a separate piece.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

do you mean the light cover is gone? the red plastic part? the cover should rap around to the underside of the spoiler, the whole cover should be one piece, some on the top and on the bottom with 2 torx bit screws holding it in t-15 is the size of the bit to. just an fyi. If this doesn't help see if you can get some pics of it on here.
    Last edited by LS1buckey; 04-04-2008 at 08:20 PM.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Here are a few pics of what I mean. You'll notice that there is a piece of aluminum tape on the top of it. The last person to own it put it there because they didn't want to buy a new one. So I guess it is just a plastic piece that is on top of the light.

I was thinking of maybe painting the top of the light (where the tape is) the same color as the car (I have some left over from doing the license plate cover) so the top part of the spoiler would all be one color and then the light would still be underneath. What do you think about that? (I'm not sure if that would look stupid or not.)

Here is the link. Let me know if you can't access the pictures (there should be three)
    http://cid-6f7cde6e5752a8b4.spaces.l...E5752A8B4!143/
    Last edited by mockler; 03-25-2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: attempting to add pics

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

that's all supposed to be one piece I'm not sure how the cops would like it not all being red. Where all have you tried to find it? If you are going to paint it I would just do it red to be safe.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I've looked everywhere online from ebay to the site sponsors, and the list that I've slowly built up of other automotive places online that sell T/A items. I haven't tried the GM dealers but I don't think they would be that cheap though.

I wasn't thinking of painting the whole thing, just the top portion. Do ya think the cops would have a problem with that?? I just finished getting the windows tinted today (15% all around)... and technically you can't have any tint on the drivers or passengers side here (although there are a ton of cars that do), so if I get pulled over the cops might not like me anyway. I gotta say though, the tint makes it look pretty bad ass.

Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it.

Sebring Silver Metallic
    1995 Pontiac Firebird

gmpartsdirect.com
    Part #: 5977471

They're pretty pricey though, but if you want a brand new one that's about your best bet.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mockler View Post
    I've looked everywhere online from ebay to the site sponsors, and the list that I've slowly built up of other automotive places online that sell T/A items. I haven't tried the GM dealers but I don't think they would be that cheap though.

I wasn't thinking of painting the whole thing, just the top portion. Do ya think the cops would have a problem with that?? I just finished getting the windows tinted today (15% all around)... and technically you can't have any tint on the drivers or passengers side here (although there are a ton of cars that do), so if I get pulled over the cops might not like me anyway. I gotta say though, the tint makes it look pretty bad ass.

Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it.
    I'm not sure how the police where you live would take it. Probably be on a cop to cop basis some might not care but others might. I did find this on ebay not sure if your interested but It's a shot. If you are going to paint it I would check your local laws no point if you get stoped for one thing to have a few more you can get ticketed for. No prob about the help thats why were all here. If you have no more questions just ask other than that good luck and let me know what you end up doing.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ategory=140741

Sebring Silver Metallic
    1995 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by LS1buckey View Post
    I did find this on ebay not sure if your interested but It's a shot.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ategory=140741
    That will only work for the Firebird/Formula flush mount spoilers.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

oh shit my bad, nevermind lol.

Sebring Silver Metallic
    1995 Pontiac Firebird

oh shit my bad, nevermind lol.
    Yeah, the seller doesn't state it clearly in the auction, so it's easily mistaken. But back when I was looking for one, I saw that same auction by that seller. I emailed them about it and they told me it was for the Firebird/Formula spoiler. You would think they would have clarified it by now

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Unhappy

So I was going and paint my brake like just on top.... so I was sanding it one day to make it all nice before I painted it, and snap, the corner breaks off! Oh well. So I decided to buy one, but I just went to gmpartsdirect and apparently they don't mail to Canada!

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Have you called around to any local junkyards?

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I haven't, but any time I've been to them lately there hasn't been anything remotely like a trans am!

I found a new place that would ship, but it's more expensive.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I can't beleave gm won't ship to canada....our cars were made there!

Sebring Silver Metallic
    1995 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by mockler View Post
    I found a new place that would ship, but it's more expensive.
    Maybe also try a stealership.. who knows, it could end up being cheaper with no shipping charges.

I can't beleave gm won't ship to canada....our cars were made there!
    GMPartsDirect isn't affiliated with GM. So it's not Gm that's refusing to ship, it's an independent company.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blindxeyed View Post
    Maybe also try a stealership.. who knows, it could end up being cheaper with no shipping charges.

GMPartsDirect isn't affiliated with GM. So it's not Gm that's refusing to ship, it's an independent company.
    They are affiliated with gm but an independent company. It does say on their FAQ that they are an authorized dealer for gm which is an affiliation. Either way I think that's stupid that they won't ship to Canada.

Thread Information