Thread: wetsanding

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

wetsanding

Has anybody on here done any wetsanding at home. I was just wondering how complicated it has to be to really get it done right. The ol' claybar just isn't doing what it used to on my 105K mile camaro.

red
    1999 camaro Z28

only on the headlight lense covers, which worked well. I wouldn't risk it on the body as thin as the clearcoat is. If the paint is that bad, then there's not much else you can do with it besides paint.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I have done a lot of wetsanding, but I assume you mean on the paint which I haven't done, nor will I. I would have a professional do the wetsanding on your paint if you are not experienced with it.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I wouldn't try it

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

I didn't think it was something I wanted to do on my own for the first time with this car. I might try the headlights though. My paint isn't all that bad (no peeling or chalkiness), but my left rear quarter panel seems to have recieved a much thinner clearcoat from the factory than the rest of the body. It has some cracking when the rest of the body has none. Just started to show at about 90000 miles so too late for warranty. Has anybody had any luck with a re-paint? I am a little timid to go that way unless I can be assured I will get the factory color correct.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

I've wetsanded to DULL paint to prep for painting at home. I wetsanded the crap out of another car (not my WS6) to get it ready to be painted after it was all fixed up with bondo. Turned out really good actually. I wouldn't try wetsanding your car unless you plan on painting it yourself.. we have a prof. painting equipment in our garage, gun, nozzles, etc.

I will be repainting my THUNDERBIRD sometime in the near future.. repainting your car is a lot of work working from home garage. Takes a lot of prep, and I mean a LOT. There is probably a good writeup somewhere around here about painting and prep tips; there is a lot of stuff and it's important to know what you are getting in to first. My dad is teaching me how to do this stuff; he is the car expert in so many ways, not me, but I'm learning.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

This was my first time wetsanding. My car had been repainted and it was very hazy and had lots of orangepeel. You can see the way it didn't really shine.

BEFORE

AFTER

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Very nice...trick is PATIENCE and lots of soapy water...

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Wetsandin to prep for polishing/buffing is not too difficult . . . the main issue is not knowing how much clear is on the car. Most of the wetsanding on clear that I have done has been on my own paint jobs, and I usually lay the clear on thick for a little extra comfort when wetsanding. However, if your only wetsanding to remove swirls and light scratches, you should have too much to worry about with the factory clear coat. I would start with a good flexable block and 800 grit or 1000 grit paper especially for your first time (finer grit the less chance of sandin through the clear ). Then work you way up to 2000. After that, usually a good buff with 3M buffing compound (i can find out the exact product name for ya) and a hand polish with cleaner polish (im sure zaino has products like this, but i just use zimol). However, the more product stages you use in buffing will result in a deeper shine.

Blue Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS

if the car has original paint, i wouldnt bother wedsanding it. the MILS of clear on it are thin to start. but if u do, 3000 grit is yur safest bet, it wont take out any deep scratches but it buffs very easily and will not leave behind scratches from the sound paper.

Thread Information