Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Water Puddle In Trunk!?

Hey guys just looking for some help for a kind of a serious issue I have. A few months ago, I went to load my T-Tops into their holders in the trunk and I found a massive puddle of water there... maybe 2in-3in deep (after a nasty rain storm.) I looked all around and did not find a spot were water was entering my car. Everything but the bottom of my truck was dry... Odd right? The latch for my hatch works just fine, so where is this water coming from...? Its happened twice since the first time I've noticed now (and its not after every rain storm. Several months have passed.) I usually just soak it up with a couple bath towels and hope it doesn't happen again. But it did, and I'm tired of it!

My WS6 is my baby! I don't her to rust out! If anyone has any idea to why & where its coming from, or how to stop it please help me.

I know their could be multiple causes to this, and its something someone would have to see in person to get a better understanding. Im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has overcome it.

Thank you in advance!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

check the seal that runs along the rear hatch. Most ppl have had to remove all the plastic molding pieces and close the rear and have a 2nd person run a hose along the outside of the hatch. You should be able to see at least where it's leaking. Either replace the seal or get some adhesive and glue it back down.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Just took at a deeper look around the seal.
    The one the goes along down both sides of the rear window (thin black plastic strip) is separated from the window at the very end where is connects to a smaller seal (the thin elbow shaped one)

Im thinking that's the culprit.. The only thing is, is that if that was the place where the water was getting in, the leak would start were my left speaker is in the trunk. Every time I find water, nothing else is wet besides where I described before. Ill replace it either way... It is possible it could enter there and travel some weird way to a unique spot. Thank you for your help

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Water can travel anywhere and follow certain paths. Could run down a weld joint and follow that to where the water pools up. You could have a small hole/tear in the weatherstripping and the water could enter there and come out a hole elsewhere in the weatherstripping. Is your hatch centered while closed? Is is also level while closed?

Black & pewter
    2002 Formula & 1999 TA

Was your car parked an a downward angle?

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Water can travel anywhere and follow certain paths. Could run down a weld joint and follow that to where the water pools up. You could have a small hole/tear in the weatherstripping and the water could enter there and come out a hole elsewhere in the weatherstripping. Is your hatch centered while closed? Is is also level while closed?

hatch is centered and level.
    I think it is from a bad section of weather stripping
    I guess I'll know if that's the fix when it rains again

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep us posted.

Thread Information