white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Wanna do my own window tint

So i wanna do my own tint the shop wants 120 to do my door windows in 20%so not happening. I've took shot at it before on pass window but it was wall mart tint that was torn an wrinkled in couple spots and it was storming out. So i wanna now best brand kind of tint an how to apply it easily and come out professional looking thanks

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I've used mildly soapy water in a spray bottle, and a body filler spreading tool (squeegie) to apply tint back in the day.

Spray the sticky side of the film and the window down with the soapy water.

Apply tint/film to glass cut to a size slightly larger than the area to be covered.

Be sure the widow is COMPLETELY free of debris or the film will tear.

Orient the film since it will want to move around some because of the soapy water under it.

Then start from the center and work your way out to the edges.

Once evenly applied and the air bubbles are worked out, let it sit for a day or two before using the windows then trim it with a new razor blade.

I used a new blade for each panel.. just me tho.

Much easier with the glass removed though.

That's about it in a nut shell..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-23-2011 at 04:22 PM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Back window is gonna be a different story.

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

alright sounds easy enough keep it wet dont touch it for couple days an back window done already has 5% looks good

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Back window is gonna be a different story.
    +2 the defroster wires are definetly a PITA for most DIYers..
    I've seen shops do a few pieces to cover it all too..
    Lots of glass to clover and get just right..
    I would suggest removing the rear windshield..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-23-2011 at 07:36 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by izzhemp View Post
    alright sounds easy enough keep it wet dont touch it for couple days an back window done already has 5% looks good
    Mainly just take your time with it.. Do it right and it will last for years..
    Rush it and have to do over and over..
    Also, I can't stress enough the glass has to be perfectly clean or the film will tear..
    Too much pressure will tear it too.. Be prepared to mess up.. Possibly alot..

IMHO, 10% technique, 90% patiance(sp)..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-23-2011 at 07:34 PM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

And make sure you have a good spray bottle. Or two. You are gonna be sore from spraying. A friend is pretty helpful, just to spray. Gonna have to flood the tint and the glass with fluid. And to get the tint to seperate from the film, put two pieces of tape on one corner, and then pull the tape apart. Corners should open. Then start spraying. Like crazy. You should be able to flood it, apply it,( just fingerprint it in place) then cut it, ( if you do it now, you will be able to use the profile of the window, and it will be even)slide it down almost a half inch, then squeegee it.Spray the work side of the tint, too. That way you wont break, or rip the tint as easily. Soapy dawn dish water is perfect. Work it out. Let it sit in the sun. And the glass has to be perfectly clean. Razor blade it after srubbing it, then scrub it again. You can clean/sand it with clean dry newspaper. Remove the door panel. If you can do that, you'll be fine. I've heard you can apply clear fingernail polish to the edges after it dries, but I haven't tried that. The instructions are on the package, but here are a couple of tips to help you out. Reminds me, i need to do mine. The edges are starting to peel. And the back has chunks missing. (Fishing rods, im sure) Gonna have to take it in for the back window.
    Last edited by az gt eater; 05-23-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: more info

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Thanks so wall mart tint work good

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

since you are doing it yourself I will get some scratch resistance tint. I used Gila tint in the past and it was good. I will probably do the sides and pay for the rear.

I talk to my tint guy and he showed me that for the back window they use a special adhesive for the top bubbly area. He also uses a hair dryer to shrink and mold the tint in curvy areas.

His tip to remove tint from the back window is to soak the tint in degreaser, get a trash bag or two and put it against the tint. you might need tape to hold it in place. Close the hatch and let the car sit in the sun for a few hours.

Remove the bag and clean any dripping degreaser. He says the tint peels right off everytime. I personally haven't try this but I might one day. They charge less if the tint is removed.

Black
    '98 Z28

I bought my tint off ebay. Came precut to the windows. Installation was a bit of a pain and it does take a lot of patience, but it can be done. Oh, and I would definitely have the hatch professionally done. The sides are easy though.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

When I did my side windows I also removed the door pannels so the tint actually goes below the weatherstripping (no need to worry about it peeling back at the bottom now) and also you don't have to worry about the tint sticking to the door panel and/or picking up debris. If it hits the interrior of the door itself its way below where you will ever see it anyway.

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

I just recently did my f150... zila was the tint brand, got it from the auto parts store... less than $20... it works well... 1 roll will do both doors side windows...and if your back window is 5%, do your doors 5%... I made the mistake on my silverado ss... 5% over all the factory in the back and 20% on the door windows, so I thought I could see at night... but ya can't and it doesn't match...... go for the gusto... my f150 is 2 1/2% on the doors and 5% over factory... and my t/a is 5% all around, t-tops and a healthy strip across the top of the windshield... love it dark.... good luck!!!

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

I think i will do 5 to match it but its illegal here past 35 on my door windows but ill roll them down when i see cops can you see out them that dark of tint at night

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

Just be REALLY aware of your surroundings... you can see... not like they're painted black... but ya gotta be careful at times.... mine are illegal too... but imo its worth the risk for how nice it looks...

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Sounds good man Im goin to do 5

Thread Information