Black
    2001 Formula

ultra bright headlights

so my headlights are fadding to yellow..... i wanted to know if you can get those ultra bright headlights for a firebird. I know are headlight are those plug in ones and not just bulbs....

The Devil You Know!! TooFastT/A's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS7

If I were you, I'd replace them out with a Sealed Beam Conversion Headlamp kit! A place called Eurolights sells them, and they are great quality! It's made to convert standard sealed beams to where you can put any bulbs you want in them...even HID's!

Here's what they looked like on my old '95 with an 8000k HID kit:

I no longer need this set, as I no longer have the car, so if you need them...PM me

-Justin

1998 WS7 T/A M6| SLP:Lid,Line Lock,LM Exhaust w/ORY,Skip Shift| Pacesetter LT| 80mm BBK TB| Centerforce LS6 Clutch| Eaton Detroit TrueTrac Differential| MAC Diff.Carrier Girdle| 3:73 Gears| Spohn Cntrl Arms| Hotchkis Adj PHB| H&R Lowering Sp.Springs| NX 150 Shot Direct Port|More Mods... FQuick Page

Red
    2000 SS

try cleaning the headlights with meguiers plastix. then buy this guys kit or go to a kragen autozone or pepboys and get sylvania headlights.

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

get sylvania headlights.
    bad idea...HID's are $50 a set on eBay

The Devil You Know!! TooFastT/A's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Sylvanias suck....IMO! HID's FTMFW!

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

FWIW- Sylvania sealed beam lights are a quick fix, but for the price ($25 a bulb) you're 1/3 of the way to a full HID conversion. Given how long the HIDs will last, you'd spend way more on the Sylvania bulbs (not sure anyone else has had this, but I was going through Sylvania H1 bulbs every 3 months in my wife's old Lancer). Just save your money and get the conversion from Eurolights ($80 for low beams and another $80 for high beams) and then get the HID kits.

Last of the Breed Pewter02Formula's Avatar

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Firebird Formula

I have to agree with the Eurolights option. I got the sealed-beam conversion kit for my Formula back in '02 and I've been very happy with them. Unfortunately the sealed-beam kit lenses are glass, just like the factory lenses, so a couple of mine have been seriously cracked by flying stones, etc. over the years. Dirt and water have gotten into them and there's a good quarter-inch of dirt collected in the bottom. I'm not complaining, though -- 7 years is a good run for such high-output bulbs and glass is a lot easier to clean than plastic.

I'm about to go ahead and order a new set this weekend!

Black
    2002 Z28

can you just take some HID bulbs and swap them out in an 02 camaro or are there any wire replacings or what?

Bright Red

The HID "kit" will come with a ballast, bulb, and wiring. There are kits that let you direct swap into you car- the hardest part is finding a place to mount the ballast.

There are a couple types of kits- one will be a direct plug in and the other will require you to run a wire off the battery. I had HID kits on my Yukon (with projector headlamps) and on my Lancer- both were direct plug in kits and I never had a problem with them. I got them off eBay and used the 6000k bulbs (those are the brightest, whitest light- the higher the temp the bluer the light, but there is a loss in the reach of the beam).

My only problem with the kits is that the light is dispersed by the stock headlamp so that it gets a bit washed out (this was the way it was in my Lancer- the projector beam in my Yukon made those lights RIDICULOUSLY powerful). I think this had to do wth the way the reflectors were designed in the Lancer's headlight so I'm curious to see how it works with the Eurolights conversion kit.

Black
    2002 Z28

oh so 10000k would be a veery blue then because im talking to one guy and i tihnk he said he had those but geez thats alot just for headlights

Bright Red

10000k will look deep blue. When I had my Yukon, I had to aim the lights down a bit because it was so bright it looked like I was driving with the high beams on all the time. Great for me- painful for all oncoming traffic. The Lancer wasn't so bad because it didn't have projector beams.

Thread Information