Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

TA Spoiler w/out center supports...PICS!!!

Well, since i have an extra highrise TA spoiler i have decided to get a little creative with it and remove the center supports. here are some pics showing what i hope the finish product will look like:

w/supports:

w/out supports:

progress pics of my spoiler:

here are a few more. the support that is on the driver's side has been smoothed like the rest of the underside of the spoiler. got started on the passenger support but called it a day.

the spoiler is still sturdy and i highly doubt once completed that it will sag...

2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

NBM
    1998 Z-28

interested in seeing it finished, looks good so far

Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

I like it. Definitely will be easier to wash and wax under there.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Looks pretty cool, I just wonder about the structural rigidity after the mod is done.. and how much down force that spoiler actually takes.

Can't wait to see finished pics..

ooh yeah and how it effects grabbing the middle of the wing to close the hood.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
    I like it. Definitely will be easier to wash and wax under there.
    you know, quite a few people over on tech have said the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    Looks pretty cool, I just wonder about the structural rigidity after the mod is done.. and how much down force that spoiler actually takes.

Can't wait to see finished pics..

ooh yeah and how it effects grabbing the middle of the wing to close the hood.
    ive never shut the hatch(es) of either my SS or the TA using the spoiler. i always use the decklid...

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

just got some more sandpaper to continue the process. after i get the area prepped, i need to see what exactly will bond to the spoiler so that it holds. i have fiberglass to use right now. if there was a way to take the top of the spoiler off so i could work from the inside out would make it so much easier, but i dont think i can do that.

time to get creative!

NBM
    99 TA

is the whole inside if the spoiler hollow? would there be any way to strengthen the middle section from the inside so it is more sturdy without the center supports?

Red
    2001 Trans Am

both look good, not sure which i like better

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    is the whole inside if the spoiler hollow? would there be any way to strengthen the middle section from the inside so it is more sturdy without the center supports?
    yes it is hollow. it 2-pieces glued/laminated together. if i can separate them to work from the 'inside-out' then, that would be ideal, but i dont think it will play into my favor...

im looking into that. i have both supports sanded down flush now. i have some fiberglass that i hope to use...

i need to research what will bond to the composite polymeyer plastic spoiler. im not 100% sure if fiberglass resin will be the most effective. if i need to fill the hole, i can always find out exactly the material of the spoiler and find something to match it and build up from there with fiberglass and then bondo the low areas, prime, sand paint, etc...
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 02-01-2009 at 02:51 PM.

None

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    you know, quite a few people over on tech have said the same thing...

ive never shut the hatch(es) of either my SS or the TA using the spoiler. i always use the decklid...
    YEP... always use the lid!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Subscribed.

EDIT. I would fill it with expanding foam to help rigidity... IMO
    Last edited by JoshieDoom; 02-01-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

this will be very interesting, best of luck you to. You know if this turns out well... you should test your skills in being the first to put a TA hatch spoiler on a convertible trunk. It would take serious amounts of work though. Its been tried but didn't work out very well.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    this will be very interesting, best of luck you to. You know if this turns out well... you should test your skills in being the first to put a TA hatch spoiler on a convertible trunk. It would take serious amounts of work though. Its been tried but didn't work out very well.
    hhaha yeah I saw those pics. It stuck out like a damn tumor.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    yes it is hollow. it 2-pieces glued/laminated together. if i can separate them to work from the 'inside-out' then, that would be ideal, but i dont think it will play into my favor...

im looking into that. i have both supports sanded down flush now. i have some fiberglass that i hope to use...

i need to research what will bond to the composite polymeyer plastic spoiler. im not 100% sure if fiberglass resin will be the most effective. if i need to fill the hole, i can always find out exactly the material of the spoiler and find something to match it and build up from there with fiberglass and then bondo the low areas, prime, sand paint, etc...
    If you want the fiberglass resin to stick, try not to have the area around the hole smooth. Use like a 36 grit sandpaper to leave a really rough edge with deep scratches into it. This way the resin falls into the deep scratches and will hold onto the material better.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

indeed... way off in the distant future like maybe the last thing I ever do if I have money lying around for some reason is buy some spare parts and go to a shop and have them make me one... I think you would have to change the hinges to to clear a taller spoiler...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that emblem looks familiar

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 View Post
    If you want the fiberglass resin to stick, try not to have the area around the hole smooth. Use like a 36 grit sandpaper to leave a really rough edge with deep scratches into it. This way the resin falls into the deep scratches and will hold onto the material better.

im using 40-grit to remove everything down to the white plastic. ive gone inside and scuffed up the underside of the openings. now i could take my dremel and 'score' grooves and roughin up the area as well. I'm using woven fiblerglass for a stronger bond, but realize that fiberglass itself is not a 'structural' material. I figure I could cut it into 2" strips and overlap 1" until covering the hole completely and the do 2 more layers (perpendicualr and then 45°) to ensure a good bond. then sand down and use bondo to smooth all the imperfections and then complete whats left.

only concern with using some sort of expanding foam for additional rigidness is the fact too much could split to spoiler. doing it before patching allows for better control, but doing it after patching, risks cracking the work and possiblely plugging the drain holes that are in the side/outer supports. IMO, the spoiler is still rigid enough and still holds its shape just fine.

1966 Corvette Coupe

Hmmm... An SS spoiler... I have thought many times that it would look better without the supports or tail light... (I beleive the LT spoiler does not have supports), but a TA... not so sure...

Im gonna stick in on this one... Im not quite sure, but ill give you a chance to prove me wrong and make it look good

-me

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    Im gonna stick in on this one... Im not quite sure, but ill give you a chance to prove me wrong and make it look good

-me
    that seems to be the majority of people. obviously i plan to do my best to make it look good and certainly be a 'one-off' so to speak...

i accept the challenge...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information