Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

Stock Camaro Grille Removal?

Need tips on how to get the stock grille out without damaging the front nose. This is on a 4th generation Camaro. Thanks.
    Last edited by Sunset T/A; 02-15-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Green Red Black
    71 SS 00 SS 06 Impy SS

I watched a couple of club members pop one out in a parking lot one night without using any tools. They just flexed it a bit to free up the tabs. It leaves a lot of holes that look out of place.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetta
    Need tips on how to get the stock grille out without damaging the front nose. This is on a 4th generation Camaro. Thanks.
    It's a real pain in the ass!! You have to pop out one of the sides. Then you can access the four back ones that didn't come out without force. I used a saw blade and just worked each one till they all came off and freed the plastic from the car. It's a real pain in the ass, but with patience and enough force, they will come off.

Rob

03 Terminator

Quote Originally Posted by graphicsgod
    It's a real pain in the ass!! You have to pop out one of the sides. Then you can access the four back ones that didn't come out without force. I used a saw blade and just worked each one till they all came off and freed the plastic from the car. It's a real pain in the ass, but with patience and enough force, they will come off.

Rob
    yep exactly how i did it. i also put a little touch up paint over the holes left the the license plate bracket. doesnt match perfectly but makes it not so noticable.

RyAn

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Power06
    yep exactly how i did it. i also put a little touch up paint over the holes left the the license plate bracket. doesnt match perfectly but makes it not so noticable.

RyAn
    Awwe damn! And I just made this crappy image in paintbrush to illistrate .

Oh well, good to hear you got it off.

Rob

hey thats an awsome go-by, needs a spot in archives !, Ed ?

Drive it like ya stole it sills1's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

The safest way to take the grill is to remove the entire front facia. I did it in about an hour and it gave me the opportunity to clean up the car a bit more. You wouldn't believe how much crap accumulates under all that plastic.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

grill replacement

When I got my new 35th SS, I ordered a SLP grill. The dealership installed it. I had the option of spending a LOT of money to remove the entire front clip to "save" the original grill, or have them cut the clips. They cut it off. Now the original grill makes a pretty cool piece of garage art.

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

I have taken the grill most of the way off, but I wasnt sure how to get the three clips at the top. I did not want to break them off just yet. is there anymore details about how to remove this without breaking it? or is it just easier to break it?

Thanks
    Ray

98 Ticket Red Z28
    Mods:
    Front/rear sway bars, poly bushings all around, Bilstein Shocks, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" Custom True Duals over the axle with Magnaflow mufflers, Shortened Pro 5.0 shifter, TurnOne PS pump.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by raysz28
    I have taken the grill most of the way off, but I wasnt sure how to get the three clips at the top. I did not want to break them off just yet. is there anymore details about how to remove this without breaking it? or is it just easier to break it?

Thanks
    Ray
    I tried to remove them without breaking them but I don't think it's possible without taking the front off . So I just took a steak knife and hacked each one off one at a time.

Rob

White
    2001 Trans Am

Left hand in left vents. Right hand in right vents. Pull. Easy. No scratches. Done. Paint in CAMARO indentions. Drink a coldbeer and admire.

Blue
    1998 z28

I just pulled both side clips out and slowly peeled on side till it looked as though I was about to actually rip the plastic. Then POP , POP done .

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

so then the "undergrille' looks like sills1? that's cool..

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

i pulled my grille off last nite, and it was a bitch!!!!!! at least the top clips were. the sides were nice and easy just pull eaisly and they popped out.

For the top 3 i used a saw to get thru all excess crap, and then i used a pair of vice grips and gentley tried to pull and then one side of the paint spidered a bit. But i got throught it in a bout an hour, with plenty of frustration.

Frustration + car = mistakes so be careful and take your time.
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

i was also thinking if you get thru all the excess crap and all thats left are the top 3 clips can a small drill bit be used to drill thru the plastic, and possibly make this whole process eaiser?

let me know what you guys think

BIGRED Z
    Just pull it off, no cutting, drilling etc required. On mine at least, it remained intact and does indeed make for some fine garage art!

Lori

red
    98 M6 Z28

If there any way to take the grill off and still keep your license plate??

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

I have seen people mount the plate on the air dam under the car, but i dont know what the cops think about that location.
    Any other suggestions?

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSNAKEATER23 View Post
    i pulled my grille off last nite, and it was a bitch!!!!!! at least the top clips were. the sides were nice and easy just pull eaisly and they popped out.

For the top 3 i used a saw to get thru all excess crap, and then i used a pair of vice grips and gentley tried to pull and then one side of the paint spidered a bit. But i got throught it in a bout an hour, with plenty of frustration.

Frustration + car = mistakes so be careful and take your time.
    so is this the same procedure for the lt1 grill??

Good luck ! I was in the same boat last summer when i was putting on my 35th anv SS SLP one and it is just like what these guys are telling you. I opted for the grip tight and pull method and yep, the stock tabs got messed up,but i didnt care because after receiving my SLP one in the mail i knew right then and there that the stock one was HISTORY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information