Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    2002 Trans Am

speed cluster custom look project

OK so my lens on my T/A was cracked and that drives me crazy, so I got a whole replacement speed cluster.
    Now I was looking at pulling the lens off, because I wanted to custom paint the black plastic part and leave the gauges black.
    Well then I started messing around and realized that it doesn't pop off, after searching and searching the only thing I found to do, is cut the lens out and then glue it back on, a little dermal tool and steady aim around. Saw one that a guy did and it came out looking very nice.
    I'm up for the challenge and going to start probably tonight with it and see how it goes. If I just happen to mess up then I will have to get another speed cluster and won't mess with it.

I'll update as the process goes along

ASh
    2002 auto T/A custom blue, Moser 9in rear end with 31 spline axle and 3.73 gears, Diablo Sport InTune, SLP LM1 catback, SLP lid & bellow, ram air free mod, eibach pro kit springs, bilstein hd shocks, bmr rear sway bar, bmr 2pt SFC bolt on, silver checker stripes 17x9.5 C5 Vette rims.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Ok got it a part, well I hope it comes out good, the black part is primer and will mess with it in the morning, the lens was cleaned up and so will probably spray the color on tomorrow. thinking of doing a close blue to match the car or do silver, will do other stuff inside to make it all tie together.

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

here is pictures of lens, to dark to get pictures of the other part being primer

ASh

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Did you cut it out? It comes out without cutting, at least it does in a Camaro. You have to remove the dash if I remember correctly.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

I looked and looked before cutting it with the drimal, my T/A is in the shop and so I got the other one in just for the lens and then I took it off the gauges and so cut around it.

wish they would just pop off, that would make it a lot easier

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Alright so I went ahead and sprayed it silver, I also used the old speedo just for pictures of what it will look like, to be honest it came out good enough for what I was wanting and had to do some little touch up, I would know now where to cut on certain spots, but it was a learning experience which I'm happy to try, this was not the finish look, I will be going back over it before it goes back in the T/A.

[IMG][/IMG]

ASh

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

^^^^^^^^^^^^I like it^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hope you take pics of the inside of your car as well as the outside, after you put the decals on.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

That does look good. I could have sworn they came apart without cutting it though. I have seen a bunch of people with the white inserts too.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Yes that part comes apart to change the gauges overlay but part i painted silver does not

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 024mula View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^I like it^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hope you take pics of the inside of your car as well as the outside, after you put the decals on.

Yes I will

ASh

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I like it also. I had bought the white gauges for mine like 10 years ago, but didn't want to mess with the hassle of tearing it apart to replace it lol. I commend you.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I like it also. I had bought the white gauges for mine like 10 years ago, but didn't want to mess with the hassle of tearing it apart to replace it lol. I commend you.
    I almost got silver face gauges, but I will take a picture of why it had to be cut
    Thanks for comments
    No professional here but I'm pretty happy

ASh

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Quote Originally Posted by ASh302 View Post
    Yes that part comes apart to change the gauges overlay but part i painted silver does not

ASh
    Gotcha.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

[IMG][/IMG]

these are the two parts that do separate from one another, but the lens and the other part do not, which is why I had to cut the lens out to be able to paint that part.

give you all a better idea

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Again I also realize now where I do need to cut and where I do not, again no pro and this was the first time doing this, but the way it came out I was able to cover up some of the nasty looking plastic, which again I know now. But the way this one is, I'm happy with, I may get some more silver spray and do one more coat.

I will post up pictures of it in the T/A, once I get it back from the body shop and have time to throw this one in, which won't take long and have the one in the car out.

Also thanks again for the comments

ASh

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That looks really sharp. I like it as well.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    That looks really sharp. I like it as well.
    Thank you good sir

ASh

Looks nice. And you also taught us how to do it by making simple mistakes. Plus you never learn unless you try.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BiggG74 View Post
    Looks nice. And you also taught us how to do it by making simple mistakes. Plus you never learn unless you try.
    That is true,

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

since finally got the T/A back, I had some time to install the new painted speedo cluster in there. Also went ahead and got some of the other parts sprayed and on the a/c knobs, the light shows through during night time, tape it off so it would still show. also did the door switches, which it got to late for those pictures, but I'll get them soon, very happy with how they turned out and just make the inside look a little different now.
    please let me know what you think
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

ASh

- - - Updated - - -

I realize I need to get some new vents also. I'm getting there with giving this car back some TLC

ASh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information