Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Screwed...

This is a discussion on Screwed... within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; That should fall under "vandalism" and should be taken care of. Almost sounds like they are trying to use "act ...

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That should fall under "vandalism" and should be taken care of. Almost sounds like they are trying to use "act of god" clause. Which is total bullshit to me.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by dethinboots View Post
    Well I had my wife bring it to a few shops, and there is a shop called GTO (fortuitous) and they quoted me 2200 that they will let me pay in installments. I think im just going to pay out of pocket and then fight to be reimburse. thoughts? I just cant stand the state that my baby is in
    if you pay anything out of pocket they wont give it back to you...thats my opinion, but thats usually how it goes...
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Get more than one estimate...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Definitely get more than one. 3 at minimum.

I'd start looking for another agent at the first hint of trouble myself, that is after you get settled with your current agent, then I'd drop them like a bad habbit. No reason what so ever they shouldn't cover that. I'd definately get 2 or 3 more estimates, present them to your agent and tell them this is what it's going to take, and if they don't want to cover it you may have to mention legal action. The thought of a lawyer would cost them more than car repairs when it's all said and done.

As far as costing $4,000, that doesn't sound out of line at all. If the keying is bad enough and covers several panels, it would require respraying those panels entirely since you can only blend the color but the entire panel will need to be sanded and re-cleared. Base/clear systems are just not a simple process when it comes to touch up and repair. If they got both sides of the car then we are talking alot of material, and depending on where the scratches are, the repair could easily involve respraying the tops of the quarters/fenders and even the roof if there isn't a convenient place to break your repair. It turns into a domino affect, and with the price of material being what it is, you could spend upwards of $1500 on material costs alone for small repairs like spraying 3 or 4 panels. With shop labor as high as $90 a hour, you can now see how $4,000 doesn't go very far.
    I do this for a living

As far as how much and how far the panel repair would need to go, pictures of the damage would help some.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I was quoted 2 yrs ago $2500 to repair my nose bug damage, rub off the clear and respray the color, and 4-5 coats of clear. For complete color change it jumped to $3500-4000 depending on if I wanted the engine bay done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I was quoted 2 yrs ago $2500 to repair my nose bug damage, rub off the clear and respray the color, and 4-5 coats of clear. For complete color change it jumped to $3500-4000 depending on if I wanted the engine bay done as well.
    If that's a complete paint job it's dirt cheap. I'd be concerned with the materials used. Probably wouldn't last you 2-3 years in the elements.
    You can spend as little as $100 a gallon on paint for the cheap stuff, but I don't recommend it. Especially for your yellows and oranges. Coverage sucks with the cheap stuff and you end up spraying more of it. The cheaper stuff from my experience also scratches easier and isn't as tolerant of the UV rays and fades quicker.
    To paint an entire car like yours nowadays, no color change (no jambs), costs me about $1,000-$1,200 in paint material alone, and that's for what is considered a cheaper base clear paint at about $150 a gallon, and 1.5 gallons of clear is another $175. Just primer filler/sealer is $200 a gallon now. Takes close to 2 gallons of it to do a car. Plus all your reducers and hardeners. Keep in mind this cheaper base clear system just isn't as durable either. All that work to skimp on material?? I just don't do it.
    Now if you step up to the PPG base/clear paint that I would recommend You'll spend about $600 just for the color alone and that's still not the most expensive stuff . You can triple your material costs. But you get a nicer finish, more durable, I believe the pigments used are closer to original colors (pain in the ass to color match a car with cheap paint, they never match) In the end you'll be happier.
    Also, with the EPA and water born paints making their statements, the cost of good ole' solvent based paints have gone up dramatically. It's just not a cheap proposition anymore.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-16-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Wait until you get back then call USAA and ensure that you are very clear on where the car is and the circumstances. With the reduction in military over the last couple of decades they have been hiring more and more people who really don't understand military life. If the first person you talk to doesn't do the right thing then just like in the military walk up the chain until you get to a supervisor that can properly service your claim. You will need a police report and know that you are going to eat your deductable. USAA will send out a claims rep to do the estimate but as you have already started, get your own estimates and don't go to any cheap shop that won't do it right. Do NOT get the repairs done until you have this worked out. It is kind of like destroying the evidence of a crime. Once it is gone, you can't prove anything happened.

I'll be absolutely shocked if you can't get this resolved by USAA with a bit more effort, but if not, they still have to answer to the state insurance commissioner in the state where you have the vehicle insured. You'll find them listed in the phone book so use that route if you have to as a last resort and let us know how it turns out. Might need to get a bunch of angry USAA members calling the home office on your behalf.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Screwed...

Damn FBJ, you just rain all over my parade.....

I was wondering why it's going to cost me $1200 to do the hood alone.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Paint materials are stupid expensive anymore. After the Caddie was backed into, my brother-in-law skinned the door and told me to go hit a few deer with the car. He had to buy a pearl additive to mix the paint that was almost $200 for a tiny bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Paint materials are stupid expensive anymore. After the Caddie was backed into, my brother-in-law skinned the door and told me to go hit a few deer with the car. He had to buy a pearl additive to mix the paint that was almost $200 for a tiny bottle.
    Haha, I didn't even mention the pearl and candy colors, that's another can of worms

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Damn FBJ, you just rain all over my parade.....

I was wondering why it's going to cost me $1200 to do the hood alone.
    Just a hood wouldn't be too bad on materials, but the labor from block sanding and prep, paint and then color sand/buff is what will get you when just doing 1 panel like that. Bigger shops have more overhead to cover and employees to pay.
    I don't mean to sound synical or rain on anyones parade, it's just pricey and very time consuming anymore for paint/body work. Makes you want to take good care of your stuff huh? It's made me to the point of being afraid of traffic and just people in general

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

I will try all of these avenues when I get back to Texas, and they don't adopt a more helpful demeanor I might drop them all together. It just really kils me to do that, because I've been with them as long as I've owned a car.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You really can't be loyal to companies anymore. I hope you get this shit resolved soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information