Thread: Repainting car

Pewter Metallic
    2000 NHRA Trans Am

Repainting car

I hit a deer a long time ago and have new parts.. bumper, fender, and hood. I want to paint it myself and I am confident I can do it. I also have the tools. What I can't find is a place to get the paint at. I have the metallic pewter (paint code 11/WA382E ). Any help on where to get it and the clearcoat and primer?
    2000 Trans Am NHRA Special Edition
    TB Bypass, Subframes (underbody and front), Drilled/slotted rotors & SS lines, Synthetic fluids

siver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

yellow pages

Go to local body shop and ask them. If they are a reputable shop they will try and talk you into letting them help you out aka they will try and bring the car into there shop to repair it. But this will be your decision to make. I'm sure you can with luck and ingenuity do this yourself but if the damage is extensive you should probably trust a local bodyshop to help you out. Look at their work and if it meet's with your approval maybe that might be the way to go.

Maple Red Metalic
    2000 Trans Am

The biggest thing is to make sure you do the prep work. Painting on your own can also be messy. Good luck do it yourself is always a source for pride in your ride.

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

any shop could do you that favor.... i would stay away from ppg paints.... there clears have a yellow tint... thats what I use at the shop I work at unfortunetly... but sikkens is one of the best!

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

ps if the parts are new you dont need primer you need sealer.. and if there is body work you will need primer and still need sealer.... always seal the parts then lay down your color... the pewter should be about 5 coats and 1 mist coat to even out the metalics. and always spray across the panel... not up and down because the metalics will lay wrong and make the color look darker.

black
    94z

02 hawk is right. i also work in a body shop we use basf. if this is going to be the first time you have tried to paint i recommend letting someone else do it. if you get dry spray or a sag or a run in your sealer or base your screwed. its fixable but you have to know what your doing. a straight color is easy to paint but metallic colors are a different ball game. dont try to panel paint just go ahead and blend your next panel. make sure you tear everything down and dont try to tape things up. it may seem easier but i promise you will be redoing it because it will peel. if i lost you with what i said just pm me or 02 hawk. he is one of the few ive heard give accurate info when it comes to painting. trust him you DO have to seal your new partsand if your painting something like a bumper check to see if it is raw, if it is you will need a sealer that is for raw plastic parts. yes 2 seperate sealers. the first one WILL peel if you spray it on a raw bumper. if it is a gm part it should already have a black sealer on it. make sure everything is sanded Very good. dont know what kind of products your using but i wouldnt sand it with anything under 600 or the metallic will show sand scratches. if you see your paint splotching,striping or flopping on you stop there and ask for help it will be easier to fix before you clear it. sorry so long but if you need more detail or dont understand what i said holler at me and i will try my best to help.

black
    94z

another thing you may have the right color but spray somethig and hold it up to your car and check the color. you may have the standard color some cars require a variance.which is an altered color and even brand new cars have variance

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by luciangage View Post
    another thing you may have the right color but spray somethig and hold it up to your car and check the color. you may have the standard color some cars require a variance.which is an altered color and even brand new cars have variance
    Kudos to luciangage! I wasnt gonna touch base with variances... but since you have I looked up the paint code in the PPG system and well.... theres 4 variances for that color... I hope yours is standard lol. But yes I am a painter and I asume you are too? Blending the panel is almost a must. and I personally dont go under 800 Grit wet sanding paper on raw plastic substrates (bumbers, etc)

black
    94z

thanks we use 800 but the least is 600 for me no way i would atempt anything else. yes i paint do body work and dont tell anyone but also pull frames.

black
    94z

hawk whats the rates in jersey? here we are at $38 im sure your higher but how much?

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

labor rate is $60... but i dont make close to that... im only at 16 hourly... and I wanna go flat rate... just gotta find the right shop.

black
    94z

yeah huge huge difference. stick with it i started out at like $6.00 an hour and made $85k last year. holler at me from time to time and let me know how your buisness is doing!

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

will do bro... prolly wont stay at this place that long... they re getting cheap and want alot more prodction... which means quality is going down and I dont like that. They tried to get me to panel paint a silver mustang... I was like no friggin way! I swear there gonna turn into a Maco!

black
    94z

sorry about getting off topic will pm from now on

Thread Information