red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

removing sail panel IMPOSSIBLE!

so ive been trying to remove a sail panel from a lt1 camaro from the junk yard and its near impossible. i got a wire saw from harbor freight. looks like piano wire with handles on the end. anyways ive been at it for a couple hours and i got about 1/3 of the way through the panel. and it wasnt easy! if any of you guys done this, please offer up your suggestions. this sucks. and my arms are killing.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I've never heard of one being removed without destroying it..

Subscribed..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

i have heard of it being done. so far just doesnt seem practical. thats why im hoping sombody has done it and has some helpful suggestions

silver
    2000 formula

i saw a thread over at ls1tech where the guy did it with lots of pics.....he pretty much destroyed it.......but it did not take him long

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'd just buy a new one.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I'd just buy a new one.
    +2

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

Believe me I would. but gm discontinued them a while ago. they pretty much dont exist anymore. I know 6LE is making them but they are in pre production right now and he said it could be a couple months before we see one. so i have no other choice but to remove one from a earlier car.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

update for those of you considering doing this. a guy from another site offered me a very helpfull suggestion that worked. what i did was have the junk yard cut the section of roof of that i needed for $150. then i took it home and removed the mass of metal from the underside of the panel so could access the piece of metal the panel is attached to. then i heated the glue with a heat gun from the otherside. once it got nice and hot the piano wire cut threw like butter. I got a perfect panel undamaged.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    update for those of you considering doing this. a guy from another site offered me a very helpfull suggestion that worked. what i did was have the junk yard cut the section of roof of that i needed for $150. then i took it home and removed the mass of metal from the underside of the panel so could access the piece of metal the panel is attached to. then i heated the glue with a heat gun from the otherside. once it got nice and hot the piano wire cut threw like butter. I got a perfect panel undamaged.
    Noice!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Good job, ya I was referring to the 6LE guy.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Doesn't the sponsor GM site on here sell one? I think Jeff bought his there, if I am not mistaken

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Doesn't the sponsor GM site on here sell one? I think Jeff bought his there, if I am not mistaken
    Read post #7 ^^.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    yeah, jeff got his before they were discontinued. most places still have them listed on their sites, but when you call them they all say that the part has been discontinued and their are none available anywhere in the usa

black
    2001 Trans Am

Yep, I believe 6LE is gonna be the only place you'll be able to buy one, if you don't want to go the route of removing one off of an f-body yourself. Classic Industries did have them, but not anymore. I need one for my T/A bad, but i'm gonna have to wait till 6LE has them ready, got too mnay other projects goin on at the moment to worry about my roof panel...

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    so ive been trying to remove a sail panel from a lt1 camaro from the junk yard and its near impossible. i got a wire saw from harbor freight. looks like piano wire with handles on the end. anyways ive been at it for a couple hours and i got about 1/3 of the way through the panel. and it wasnt easy! if any of you guys done this, please offer up your suggestions. this sucks. and my arms are killing.
    Do you or any one know how why g.m. would make a what supposedly a steel ribbed roof?
    with a plastic glued on roof and sail panels, does anyone know why g.m. didnt just make a conventional steel roof duh like every car has had for 100 years???
    i mean does this make any sense at all?
    What was the object , does anyone know?
    To me it sounds like an unnecesary frustraton and expense not a simple design w low maintenance inmind,
    Did G.M. think that all f body owners would gladly accept this nonsense well word got around bad quality control!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    Do you or any one know how why g.m. would make a what supposedly a steel ribbed roof?
    with a plastic glued on roof and sail panels, does anyone know why g.m. didnt just make a conventional steel roof duh like every car has had for 100 years???
    i mean does this make any sense at all?
    What was the object , does anyone know?
    To me it sounds like an unnecesary frustraton and expense not a simple design w low maintenance inmind,
    Did G.M. think that all f body owners would gladly accept this nonsense well word got around bad quality control!
    The only body panels that are metal are the quarter panels and the hood (non ws6/SS) Saves weight, money, gas milaege, etc.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    The only body panels that are metal are the quarter panels and the hood (non ws6/SS) Saves weight, money, gas milaege, etc.
    ok fair enough yes im learning and i still would like to know if anyone knows what is under the plastic roof ?
    To me it sounds like the roof structure is not metal at all underneath for structural rigidity??

Thread Information