Quick ? about aftermarket grilles?

This is a discussion on Quick ? about aftermarket grilles? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; I am thinking of getting an aftermarket grille for my 99 Z28. I like the billet kind with the 9 ...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quick ? about aftermarket grilles?

I am thinking of getting an aftermarket grille for my 99 Z28. I like the billet kind with the 9 rails. Do these just mount onto the factory plastic one? Or do you remove the black plastic one and mount it to the bumper?

pewter
    2000 z28

i believe you mount it to the bumper..not sure... your from Turnersville NJ. I live in Washington twp (my mail address is sewell tho) are you close to there?

1999 Chevy Camaro

You remove the black plastic piece and screw it to the bumper. Just paint the inside black so it looks better.

Rob

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by ap2000z28
    i believe you mount it to the bumper..not sure... your from Turnersville NJ. I live in Washington twp (my mail address is sewell tho) are you close to there?

Hey I'm next to clinton... I didn't realize there were many people on here from the Jersey area.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I live in Birches West across from Kennedy Hospital. But, I am a senior, at Rutgers University, in New Brunswick. So, the grille does mount to the black factory plastic grille or do you remove it?

pewter
    2000 z28

you remove it then paint that area black so the grill looks better. I live in heritage valley and go to Rutgers Camden..nice to see their are some members close by

silver
    2000 camaro ss

how do you paint it????

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

You spray paint the bumper, behind the factory grill, after removing it. Unless your car is already black.

silver
    2000 camaro ss

seems a little weird , hate the idea of spray painting my baby

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

I know this sounds dumb, but I want to take off my front license plate and have tried to get the stock grille off. I can't figure it out, how do you do it? Thanks

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z
    I know this sounds dumb, but I want to take off my front license plate and have tried to get the stock grille off. I can't figure it out, how do you do it? Thanks
    It's a bit of a PITA . If you do it, you can not reuse it. You pretty much destroy it removing it, FYI.

First pull at the sides. Theres little tabs that hold them in the sides. As for the middle, if I remember correctly, there should be four tabs that go through the bumper and can only be removed by cutting or drilling the plastic out through the holes. Try not to touch the bumper .

Quote Originally Posted by baseballss
    seems a little weird , hate the idea of spray painting my baby
    Don't worry, if you don't sand (like I did) it will come off by just scraping it with your finger nail. It's not even noticable once you add the grill. It's only there to make the grill stand out more . Just paint past where the grill will go.

Rob

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z
    Technically you have to remove the entire front bumper cover to remove the clips that hold it on if you don't want to tear it up. You also have to remove the whole bumper cover to put it back on. If you don't want to remove the whole cover all you have to do is pull if off firmly and you will break it at pretty much all of the mounting points, as long as you don't plan to reuse it that is safe though, you shouldn't hurt the bumper cover. Workin in a body shop back in the day got me too biased to doing it all the looong hard correct way. . .
    Last edited by oneBADDz; 12-14-2005 at 11:39 PM.

Thread Information