Red
    2001 Trans Am

question about rims

The chrome is flaking off of my rims and I'm thinking I might want a change in terms of looks. Is it possible to paint chrome rims or do I have to somehow strip off all of the chrome? I was thinking gunmetal or black but not sure what to do. I would really like to save money and not have to buy new rims.

Electric Blue Pearlcoat
    1995 Trans Am(LS1 Convert

Quote Originally Posted by patriot1136 View Post
    The chrome is flaking off of my rims and I'm thinking I might want a change in terms of looks. Is it possible to paint chrome rims or do I have to somehow strip off all of the chrome? I was thinking gunmetal or black but not sure what to do. I would really like to save money and not have to buy new rims.
    Well painting over them is not going to last...Your best bet is to have a shop powdercoat them...typically about $50 dollars a wheel I believe so for $200 bucks you have a "Brand New" set of wheels...they have an infinite amount of colors and finishes...from chrome looking, to solid color, to candy color...and it will last 100x longer than paint or chrome.

1995 Trans Am: 6spd - Pacesetter LT's - LS1 Front Swap - SLP LS1 FlowPac CAI - MagnaMouth CatBack - De-Cat - Eibach ProKit - Bilsteins - HP Evo's - 3pt. Strut Tower Brace - 4.10 Gears - Spohn Adj. PH - B&M Ripper Shifter

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityTA View Post
    Well painting over them is not going to last...Your best bet is to have a shop powdercoat them...typically about $50 dollars a wheel I believe so for $200 bucks you have a "Brand New" set of wheels...they have an infinite amount of colors and finishes...from chrome looking, to solid color, to candy color...and it will last 100x longer than paint or chrome.
    Agreed, and its about $50 a wheel locally here as well.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

yeah that sounds awesome to me, it would be a good deal. how do I go about finding a place to powdercoat?

Red
    2001 Trans Am

ok that sounded stupid. I mean how do I find a place that will do that for me? I would figure most shops only deal with industrial things

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by patriot1136 View Post
    ok that sounded stupid. I mean how do I find a place that will do that for me? I would figure most shops only deal with industrial things
    The 2 local places I use for powdercoating primarily do industrial/big account work, but they have always done my little odds and ends. Just call and inquire

Electric Blue Pearlcoat
    1995 Trans Am(LS1 Convert

Yea bro...got to yellow pages or yellow book.com and serach powdercoating or metal finishing...something of the sort and always get multiple quotes...try to find something local as shipping cost will tack on as well...ask a couple body shops, bike shops, word of mouth is always a good advertisement...

Thread Information