Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Pulled Over For No Front Tag In WI.

This is a discussion on Pulled Over For No Front Tag In WI. within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; When your car is stolen, you wish you had a front plate on it, so every cop could read it. ...

Black
    2002 Camaro B4C

front plate

When your car is stolen, you wish you had a front plate on it, so every cop could read it.

I agree the plates on the front are ugly but so are they on the rear. The main reason for the plate is to ID the car and second is to see that the car is legal licenced for the current time ( expiry date).

At one time you could ID which state a car was from but the colour of the plate, now a day everyone wants them to look like post cards with several different types for every state. In Europe all countries have front & rear plates, and used to be like that in Canada too. But recently some politicians didnt like the look of a front plate on their BMW etc and changed the law in some provinces.

Police officers everywhere need the front plate to ID vehicles, suspects etc. Lets face it, cops spend a lot of time looking for suspects in vehicles, as well as the public in Amber alert etc situations. I personally dislike the front plate, but will obey the law and support our police, so Ill use it.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS vert

I ordered that SLP license plate holder too. I assume you can put it off to the side a little bit on the front of the car?

I don't want to put it directly in the center because it will be blocking airflow to my SSRA.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

I decided to put the stock bracket back on. I figured if I had to put the tag back on I want it in the stock location.

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 FIREBIRD FORMULA

i still like my idea better. lol....looks fine

blue
    99 Z28 Camaro LS1

I've been pulled over lots of times for not having a front plate, and I want to every time to tell the cop to go to hell!! I think having a plate in the front takes away alot of the look my camaro has. I have the SLP grill insert matched to the color of my car.

White
    1998 Camaro

I just have mine screwed to the front bumper with no bracket so it doesn't stick out so much.

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 FIREBIRD FORMULA

ttt

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

no way this is by far the best looking way to set a plate up.. its on the older body style but I'm sure can be made for the SS

Here is a similar idea

And if you wanna go the cheap route without devaluing your car you can always buy one of these for about $20 which is the SLP replacement so you don't have to drill holes into the nose at all

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

arctic white
    97 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad View Post
    When your car is stolen, you wish you had a front plate on it, so every cop could read it.

I agree the plates on the front are ugly but so are they on the rear. The main reason for the plate is to ID the car and second is to see that the car is legal licenced for the current time ( expiry date).

At one time you could ID which state a car was from but the colour of the plate, now a day everyone wants them to look like post cards with several different types for every state. In Europe all countries have front & rear plates, and used to be like that in Canada too. But recently some politicians didnt like the look of a front plate on their BMW etc and changed the law in some provinces.

Police officers everywhere need the front plate to ID vehicles, suspects etc. Lets face it, cops spend a lot of time looking for suspects in vehicles, as well as the public in Amber alert etc situations. I personally dislike the front plate, but will obey the law and support our police, so Ill use it.
    fuck the police

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jd1666 View Post
    fuck the police

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

They have talked about this in the IN legislature once in a while, so glad it is always shot down. Hell, I'll get the gun and help the smart politicians shoot it down!

I think the mount under the bumper is a good one, tho, if you have to do it. Looks stock enough.

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Convertibl

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    keep the second one under ur seat....when u get pul;led over put it on ur dash
    wont work in WI, not an acceptable location, you will get pulled over again.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

hahah I think you guys jinxed me talking about this subject.. I just got pulled two days ago by a fucking sheriffs officer of all people .. for this damn reason.. gave me the option of bringing him the car next week with a tag drilled to the bumper or get the ticket.. so I told him I wasn't devaluing the car and to write me my damn ticket. So now I;ll go to court say I got a tag put on it and stroll out dismissed..been there done that

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I haven't gotten pulled over yet. But, I know I will. CA cops live for shit like that!

I figure I'll get a free pass the first time since the car only had one plate when I bought it.

Hell, when I was in my 20's and had my 69 Chevelle. I got pulled over all the time but never got any tickets....mostly for speed and reg tags back then. HA, smogs were hard to come by LOL!

But, I'm not taking my billet grill off, so I would opt for the SLP bracket also

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan99 View Post
    Like the title says I got pulled over for the second time for not haveing a front plate on the Z. This time the pooper trooper gave me a writen warning so I need to put my plate on. I need suggestions on where to put it. Should I just go with the stock location in the middle, or some place diffrent? Please help I hate the way the front plate looks when it is on.

Ryan
    I have mine on both of my 4th gens mounted on the lower air dam that sticks down below the bumper.

It's somewhat inconspicuous yet easily seen if you stand back away from the car about 10 feet.

I have been pulled over here in Ohio a couple times for it,,,,but they always tell me it's a "GREY" area and they send me on my way.
    I usually just tell them that GM discontinued the front mounting bracket so I made an attempt to display the tag best I could.
    I figure hell,,,why not,,,,GM discontinues every other damn thing....

Besides, one of my cars has the optional SS front grille and I'm not taking it off and/or drilling holes in the car.

I've had my front plates mounted on the lower air dam for years without a ticket, and generally get pulled over for other things anyway,,,,to be frank about it though, they can write all the tickets they want for the front plate,,,I'm not moving it.

Edit: here is an advantage to mounting it on the air dam......I use it as a curb feeler,,,,anyone remember those??? May be too young of a crowd for that but anyway,,,,I mount the plate a little lower than the air dam,,,about an inch. Not only makes the plate just a bit more visable but it also acts as a curb feeler of sorts when you are pulling in those uneven parking lots.
    I try to shoot in at an angle but sometimes thats not enough. You can tell by the sound it makes if the plate touches the ground,,,you know you are getting close before any plastic/painted surface hits the ground,,,,lol.

Leave it to the old farts to get inventive like that,,hahahaha Thats all the front plate is good for anyway,,,a curb feeler,,,,LOL.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-13-2008 at 06:18 AM.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad View Post

I'd like to know how many stolen vehicles were recovered based on the front license plate being there. I'm going to venture a guess myself and say 0%. When a cop pulls you over he sees the rear of your car therefore there really seems to be no need for a front plate other than another reason to be pulled over and ticketed.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have mine on both of my 4th gens mounted on the lower air dam that sticks down below the bumper.

It's somewhat inconspicuous yet easily seen if you stand back away from the car about 10 feet.

I have been pulled over here in Ohio a couple times for it,,,,but they always tell me it's a "GREY" area and they send me on my way.
    I usually just tell them that GM discontinued the front mounting bracket so I made an attempt to display the tag best I could.
    I figure hell,,,why not,,,,GM discontinues every other damn thing....

Besides, one of my cars has the optional SS front grille and I'm not taking it off and/or drilling holes in the car.

I've had my front plates mounted on the lower air dam for years without a ticket, and generally get pulled over for other things anyway,,,,to be frank about it though, they can write all the tickets they want for the front plate,,,I'm not moving it.

Edit: here is an advantage to mounting it on the air dam......I use it as a curb feeler,,,,anyone remember those??? May be too young of a crowd for that but anyway,,,,I mount the plate a little lower than the air dam,,,about an inch. Not only makes the plate just a bit more visable but it also acts as a curb feeler of sorts when you are pulling in those uneven parking lots.
    I try to shoot in at an angle but sometimes thats not enough. You can tell by the sound it makes if the plate touches the ground,,,you know you are getting close before any plastic/painted surface hits the ground,,,,lol.

Leave it to the old farts to get inventive like that,,hahahaha Thats all the front plate is good for anyway,,,a curb feeler,,,,LOL.
    Could you post up a pic?

I have in the past,,since this very subject came up about 7-8 months ago. Back then I could post via linking to my digital camera,,,but the site does not allow that anymore. I'm not a member of any picture linky thingys either

But if you shoot me your email via pm if you like,,,,I would gladly send you a couple of pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    I'd like to know how many stolen vehicles were recovered based on the front license plate being there. I'm going to venture a guess myself and say 0%. When a cop pulls you over he sees the rear of your car therefore there really seems to be no need for a front plate other than another reason to be pulled over and ticketed.
    Yep I agree, and the front plates don't display any of the stickers for county designation or expiration dates either. Nothing but a plate, kinda useless if you ask me.

More tax money for the state too. If other states get by just fine without them then money is the only thing that comes to mind as to why other states seem to want to hang on to the front plate idea.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-13-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    I have to agree.

Besides, my car doesn't exactly blend into traffic anyway. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information