Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Prepping for paint

Alright so once i get back to cali im going to start knocking out the body work on my bird. Gotta replace the sail, rear bumper and driver's side mirror. As far as prep goes I want to sand down the whole car once new panels are on shoot 2 coats primer 2/3 color and 2/3 clear. Im going to keep it black. Want to know what you guys think about differnt brands of paint product to use and sanding procedure in between coats.
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

if your budget is not problem then if i were u i would sand the whole car with 320 and then 2-3 coats of primer surfacer.then sand tht with 320 folowed by wet 600.400-600 is paintable scratch.then seal the everything with primer sealer(wet on wet appliciation) then your color within 30 mins.to nib basecoat go very lightly with 1000.and keep tack raging it between every coat of basecoat.do all of your nibbing and put one last final coat of color.then clear it.then if theres any imperfections in the clear sand with 1500-2000 and buff it out.be careful u dont burn through.thts y i like to put unleast 3-4 coats of clear just to be on safe side.far as paint brands go u can go with Sherwin Williams,ppg,dupont,basf,sacal,and etc..i like Sherwin Williams they have good products.and check out my thread it has sum good info..and good luck with it.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f52/repainting-my-ss-164913/

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Thanks for info, do you nib each coat of base? also any sanding between coats of clear or do you wait till the end? Last any particular type of auto paint that you recomend? Laquer, urethane etc? Great thread btw man

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    Thanks for info, do you nib each coat of base? also any sanding between coats of clear or do you wait till the end? Last any particular type of auto paint that you recomend? Laquer, urethane etc? Great thread btw man
    u don't have to nib between each coat of base.after you put your sealer.put one nice light coat of color.let it dry good.and then nib it.then if there is any imperfaction on the second coat then nib it verycafully(get all the imperfections).your last coat should be final no nibbing after tht.and DON'T sand between clearcoat.that you have to wait til the end.let it cure.and stay away from lacquer based.thts old technology..go with a two-stage urethane paint system.u also could go with Water-based paint system,,but it requires little different setup.btw where are plan on painting it?wht gun u going to use?

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

once the body work is done ill be spraying it on base at the auto hobby shop, the have a heated booth. As for the gun ive been tossing around the idea of buying one due the ones on base prolly being on the beat side. Thanks for the clear up on the info.

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

your welcome.and good luck with it.

Thread Information