Thread: Paintjob Cost?

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Paintjob Cost?

How much(general area) would it cost to get me car repainted default color?(ppg Bright Red). Also, I want two basic racing stripes in basic cheap white or grey from hood to spoiler.

Anyone got a general estimate they can toss out there?

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

paint jobs can cost 5000 give or take a few thousand

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I'm not talking some crazy off the wall color with insane detailed azteca style need for speed graphics. I mean, stock color it already is. With a simple dual racing stripe. Not some stripe to the anal # like some guys where they want it 8 1/16 inch here, then 9/3/16inch at the roof. Splayed apart, slightly on spoiler. Etc...I'm not asking for insane work.

I mean, TA's have small body area to paint really. Hopefully someone on here has had it done and can tell me what they paid?

a good pant job is not cheep and a cheep pant job is not good make sure the take everything off they can and it depands on how good they tape everything up as well so it all depends on the rest of the car are you looking for something just to make it look better / good or look like it just rolled off the show room floor you should be able to get the car done 2000 2500 on up

PS just a little more info make sure they havea fairly new paint both will make a world of difference

i guess you really need to find a great shop and let them give you a price and let us all know
    Last edited by TA421; 08-02-2009 at 10:49 AM.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

they have to sand it down if theres any small dents have to be filled parts taped off and layers painted on even your stock color alot of time goes into it and most shops charge $80 per hr the cost of the paint and supplys are probley 800-1200 but the labor iss what will cost you up the ass you might be close to 5000 at a good shop unless yu know smeone that can do it for less

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

you get what you pay for with paint. all the guys i know that are good at it will start at 2k and go up from there so i would put your paint in the range of 2500 to 3 k or so.

2011 Prius

Just a little info. I painted my Bronco a few years ago, did it my self. I used fairly good quality stuff. It cost me $1,200 in just materails.

My grandmother painted her 48 Ford, just for the pain, $1,000 a gallon.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah its not cheap or really easy to do its quite a bit of work but well worth it after you are done. I would probably charge $5000-$6000 depending on what all you wanted done, about $2000 of that alone would go to supplies. The rest would go towards Labor. But when I paint a car I take everything off tho i.e. doors, mirrors, hood, hatch, spoiler, lock cylinders, Door handles, side skirts, trim & emblems, fender inserts, then I make sure every thing is cleaned of wax, grease, and any other contaminates. then sand entire car, then fix dents, then prime with etching primer 2-3 coats, then surfacer primer 3 coats, wet sand primer, clean, prime again with surfacer 3 coats, wet sand again, clean, then primer sealer 2 coats, then base coats, then clear coats 4-6 coats, then let harden, then Color (wet) sand exterior till its flat like glass, then buff until its really shiny, then three stage wax 2 coats paste wax and 1 coat liquid wax after it is all back together, Then detail everything to make it look almost as nice. It takes me about 2-6 weeks worth of work depending on what the customer wants done i.e. airbrushing, custom paint, true flames, anything really, and this is only the semi show car quality, and this is just a basic example of and I mean basic of what I do when I paint a car, I left out a few things so the post would not be as long. Hope this helps.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

Shake and Bake Triple H Coating's Avatar

2006 Harley Night Train
    I would suggest you call a sherwin williams automotive store. Give them your paint code off your car, ask them to match it and get a price on just the paint, Im pretty sure you will find the cost will be between 70 to 90 dollars a pint. This does not include catlist, reducer, thinner (for cleanup).

When you ask for a "stock" color, most shops dont carry colors that they just have avaliable, sitting around waiting for you to come in and ask for, they would never make money this way. Every color, common or uncommon is made per your request and that costs.

My dad is a painter, $3000 would be a low end number, $6000 a mid range, and $10,000 for a top end job.

1998 Trans Am

yeah this is all very true when repainted some parts on my T/A just for a quart it was $160 (for flame red stock BC/CC # U 8774) so paint is not cheap at all and if you buy cheap you get cheap, its always better to do it right the first time it will cost less in the long run.
    Last edited by Customta98; 08-15-2009 at 04:16 PM.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

But sometimes we dont have the disposable income to throw 2 or 3000 into the car. But you dont want to ride in a eye sore. Take it to MAACO away from the city. Try to find a small one out of the way. The trick is, no matter what, DO NOT take it off there property until you are satisfyed. Once money changes hands and you drive off there lot it is yours. I left a car there a week til it was right. They painted it 3 times. My daughter never waxed or washed it until 3 years later when she sold it. Shined up like brand new, no problems. I think it cost 4-500.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

hmm what do you think a the cost of getting a screaming chicken painted on my t/a? i know they make a decal but i hear its a bit tricky with the ram air hood to put on.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

It looks damn nice, but it is tricky with the ram air. I thought of doing it, but I have a Formula. Can never remember a bird on a Formula.

2006 Harley Night Train
    Quote Originally Posted by 11cAirborne View Post
    hmm what do you think a the cost of getting a screaming chicken painted on my t/a? i know they make a decal but i hear its a bit tricky with the ram air hood to put on.
    You think a decal is tricky, yeah, try painting it on that bad boy!

1998 Trans Am

it is way harder to paint it on but I think it looks better. At least with the decal you can pull it off carefully and reapply it to adjust it to how you want.

Red
    2001 ws6

get full coverage and wait for hail damage

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Rk ws6 View Post
    get full coverage and wait for hail damage
    Will, my insurace go up? Also, would it be odd to make a clain 2-3 months later?

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Will, my insurace go up? Also, would it be odd to make a clain 2-3 months later?
    your insurance shouldnt go up for hail damage theres no reason for it to .... and definently wouldnt be odd just make it a note that you were pressed for money when it occured

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Paint would be nice, but the late 80's birds are works of art. I would love to have a white t/a with the blue bird. One night in 1986, early December, I was looking at cars. Sitting on the lot was a early 80's second gen, 6.6 turbo T/A, white with blue trim. I was a married A1C with no way to afford that. I left for the UK 2 days later, but never forgot that car.

2006 Harley Night Train
    Quote Originally Posted by Customta98 View Post
    it is way harder to paint it on but I think it looks better. At least with the decal you can pull it off carefully and reapply it to adjust it to how you want.
    Just like window tint, use a soapy water mixture to put it down with, slide it around till your satisfied, then squeze the water out from under it and let it dry for 2 to 3 days. Thats the secret to the big decals.

Thread Information