LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Painted hood, now not happy...suggestions

Hi all, I have a sebring silver Z28, I recently came apon a real SS hood and decided to put it on my car. Took the car to a local shop, had them paint the hood, underside and fenders to make it match. I go and pick up the car today and the front bumper doesn't match at all, hood looks darker and I am not liking it. Now stuck what to do, should I have the front bumper painted also? Or have someone do ghost flames in a pearl, just a hint, but not overpowering to kinda hide the color difference while making the car look good in the process.. Any ideas, going to work now so can't post any pics but will in a.m.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

it sounds like the shop you wint to isnt any good. a good shop would have told you what was going to be needed to make a good match. i've had 2 new fround ends put on my ta in the last year thanks to some jurk and a deer and i have found you get what you pay for when it comes to paint. the flames would look cool on it and this gives you a reason to do it now if you want to look at it like that. post some pics if you do id like to see that. good luck

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've heard Silver is the hardest color to match. Like if the guy spraying it at the factory took a break for lunch in the middle and came back the rest wouldn't match. Not sure what to tell ya.

2002 Z28

I had a good chance to look over everything.. Hood isn't right color, too much blue in it, not enough metallic, doesn't have any type of sparkle like the stock paint, but overall quality of the paint is acceptable. I went back and complained, they are going to reshoot the entire nose now(nose, fenders and hood). Told me to call back today to set up a time they can get me in. He even said, ya we need to add more metallic in it, ya, must have put too much blue in. They knew it wasn't right, not sure why shops try to pass something off like that. If I had went through insurance I bet it would not have came out like that. Under the hood is a different color and looks great, is almost like they changed their mixture when they went to paint the hood. So will see today if they are going to fix it. I didn't pay a cheap paint job price for this, so I expect it to look good. If I had paint $500 I could see a issue, but when your getting into the $1,000 plus, they need to do it right.

Last edited by rotwiler; 04-01-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Black
    99 Trans am Convertible

anytime a let a shop do work they try to pull a fast one. just trying to save money and make a profit, like we all do. always demand perfection in ur car .lol

10's N/A

I had a similar experience back in 2002 with my Sebring Silver '97 SS. In that case it was the left fender that was completely off. This time when I did the SS hood/wing to my '93 Z I got the entire car painted to make sure there was no chance of flaw. It was expensive, but well worth it.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

id ask em if they are using dupont. . . ive always been told, from both the dupont dealer and the carquest automotive paint department, that cheaper paints don't have the "techology" that dupont has in it. since dupont is our stock paint, its very hard to match it if it is not dupont brand. i used a omni brand nbm on my 80 formula and i know its not quite the same as the 4 gen "stock" dupont nbm.
    2000 TA, A4, LS6 intake, Magnaflow, WS9 hood, BMR STB, UMI boxed SFC, Spohn LCA, 9" Ford
    1998 TA Vert,​ NBM, M6, Flowmaster, WS6 hood, WS6 airbox, C6 wheels, UMI SFC, BMR STB
    1998 Bird, Black, V6, A4, 18" 077's, Wings West Body Kit
    1980 Formula, NBM, 402BB, cam, DR timing, LT headers, 3" TD w/ flowmasters, TH350
    1980 TA, Black, 301, bone stock

2002 Z28

They use PPG paint. I called them today and as soon as they get some cars out of the shop, they are calling me to bring it in, so hopefully they will get tired of me and do the job right. I had a ebay fiberglass SS hood that he bought from ebay for 2 years, didn't want to pay alot for a paint job and then have it crack on me, so I waited. Last summer bought a motorhome and the guy selling me it was talking to me and I said I had a 02 Z28, he then said I have a ton of 02 SS parts I will throw in the deal. One was the hood, which is a GM original SS hood, leather seats, every plastic ebony interior piece in a Camaro, M6 steering colum , complete with keys intact airbag, singnals, leather wrapped, radio controls etc. perfect t tops with key and never used shade covers, rear center bumper cover(one with camaro on it)..and a few other items, can't remember now. Motorhome was a good deal itself, is a 99 tioga on a ford E350 chassis with trition v10 and under 50k miles. Had a spot on top bunk area that hit a tree that I repaired, otherwise is great for 8k and gets 12+ mpg on 3 trips I have taken.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 04-01-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Black
    99 Trans am Convertible

ive heard that about dupont also.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

most shops will try a fast one. i sead no to the work on my ta 3 times before i would take it and it still wasnt right, i even wint to the gm. and that was a chevy dealer. and dupont has difrent levels of paint to but thay are all a good produckts as long as thay put on right. good buy on the moter home

Hey there the best way to solve this problem , when they repaint the car make sure they Blend it into the doors , and yes sometimes it is hard to see the paint when painting the car it will dry a different color anyway , then yes some people will never see it so the car goes home and other times it takes awhile to get it right

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Are 4th gens different than 3rd gens? I crunched my front end on my 85.. and had it repainted doors forward... I talked to the painter before.. and he said these paints are metallic and don't fade (this being a 20 y/o car at the time).. so I trusted him.. he used the stock color and when I picked it up.. couldn't tell ANY difference!
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    Are 4th gens different than 3rd gens? I crunched my front end on my 85.. and had it repainted doors forward... I talked to the painter before.. and he said these paints are metallic and don't fade (this being a 20 y/o car at the time).. so I trusted him.. he used the stock color and when I picked it up.. couldn't tell ANY difference!
    ive not heard fo sho but im pretty sure that is suppose to be one of the benefits of base clear. the clear protects the base from fading as long as the clear isnt gone/peeled off. . . btw thats awesome it matched . . . prob a good painter too

medium blue metallic
    99 Trans Am

a good paint shop would sand and repaint that free of charge. i know, i have done it. silver is a very hard color to match, but if they made a mistake, they should own up and fix it. what happens is each factory goes through different "rounds" of paint and each is a lil different. we had a crown vic in and it had like 15 different shades of silver(for the same year and factory.). that amkes it a real pain for the body shop. i have spent hours in the hot sun looking at paint chips and comparing them to the body paint...hours. its not easy...and i have picked a few wrong ones, but repainted them all the same. and some colors, you can blend into the fenders....not silver....doesnt blend. hope this helps. just go talk to them...if they cant see the difference, they must not know what theyre talking about.

2002 Z28

I took it in today, they are painting the front bumper and everything over again. The guy who did the estimate agreed with everything I said and gave me no issues. I'm paying a couple hundred extra for the front bumper to be done also, wanting to make sure it is all matching. He said today, since the hood was black, it may be when the sun comes out some of the black reflects and makes the paint look darker. which they should have sanded down all the black, so will will see. On cloudy days the paint looks like a perfect match.

NBM
    99 TA

take it back... make it right or you will never be happy

Thread Information