Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Painted Calipers... what do you guys think?

This is a discussion on Painted Calipers... what do you guys think? within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; So to paint or polish them, do you have to remove them? I just don't want to have to bleed ...

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

So to paint or polish them, do you have to remove them? I just don't want to have to bleed the brakes or anything. I'd love to pull them all since the car's just sitting there anyways while it's cold and snowy and spend the time making them look real tit...

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

on my last two trans ams and the harley truck i left everything on the vehicle.. even rims.. just was a pain cause i kept having to go forward... back up... go forward lol but got them done in less than an hour each time. i'm really good with a paint brush though i wouldn't try it otherwise or you'll get paint all over the place.

better pics when the truck's clean

Light Pewter Metalic
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS
    Damn those polished calipers look sweet as hell. If I didn't drive mine everyday or on aregular basis I would've done mine like that. I opted to paint mine red on the white car. Really compliments the car.

you should do them, i'm a daily driver with no problems if you coat them correctly its worth the time

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by t/as&dds
    So to paint or polish them, do you have to remove them? I just don't want to have to bleed the brakes or anything. I'd love to pull them all since the car's just sitting there anyways while it's cold and snowy and spend the time making them look real tit...
    No, only about 3 out of 10 people will actually remove they'er calipers to paint it perfect. I just left them on and taped them off to paint both peices. I just recomend letting the car sit and don't drive it for at least a day to let the paint cure properly.

Rob

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Man I love that polished look,

black
    2001 trans am

wow...all this looks really good...cant wait to do mine,just bought a new set of wheels...19 inches PIA

99FRC,00TA,98Formula
    91Firebird,88FieroGT

I plan on painting mine eventually too, they look great painted

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

where do i get the little stickers for them? i need T/a ones

two tone

fourthcircledesigns.com

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    where do i get the little stickers for them? i need T/a ones
    Or ebay.

Rob

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

What kind of paint did you guys use??? Hi temp? Any clear coating over the first app?? LOOKS REALLY NICE!!!!

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD
    What kind of paint did you guys use??? Hi temp? Any clear coating over the first app?? LOOKS REALLY NICE!!!!
    First thing is to start in the morning, you'll need all day to get it perfect.

Just go to your local Autozone, and pick up a kit (pick your colour). You can't miss it cus it will say caliper high temp. paint and have a picture of it on the box. Then get a can of clear (as far as I know, it doesn't matter if this is high temp. or not; I just picked up some regular clear and have had no problems with it). Next goto Pep Boys and get some high grade sandpaper (since this is the only damn place I can find any). Nothing too high, but I used about a 800 grit and then a 1000 grit.

Now use the cleaner thats in the box as per the directions. Next use a wire brush or steel wool, then move up to a tooth brush to get in those hard to reach areas (I used my wifes and just told her it was missing ). Next sand it down with the sand paper. Till it looks almost brand new and shiney. Now wash it off so theres no more cleaner or little metal shavings, so it will be ready for paint.

Then tape off what you don't want to get paint on and do the same to the ground. Paint a nice thin coat, let it dry for at least two hours. Then apply a second thicker coat, again let it dry. Do this till your satisfied (I did about four coats myself). Now is the time to apply any decals.

Next spray on the clear. Do the same as you did for the paint. Use a light coat and move up to thicker coats. Make sure the whole caliper is coated well. When done let it sit over night. I prefer this to let the paint cure properly. Now when you wake up in the morning or afternoon, it's time to put your wheels on and take your car for a drive . Thats it all done, enjoy!

Rob
    Last edited by graphicsgod; 01-31-2006 at 01:37 PM.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

graphics god, you have a firebird in your write up, but showed off a camaro in your first postin this thread-which is yours? why did the camaro's red look better than the firebirds?

also, i saw a paint kit at autozone-it said to use a paint brush to apply. I really thought it would be a spray paint process to give a cleaner/smoother coat. What's the deal? are their better paint kits out there.

EVL LS1, i like the way yours turned out-nice and shiney, maybe to candy for me though-or are they darker than that pic?

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

this is the kit that auto zone has:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliper.html

two tone

i've got a bright red duplicolor caliper paint kit for sale for $10 shipped. PM me or email me if interested. thanks it's the same as the link dipherent posted

1999 Chevy Camaro

graphics god, you have a firebird in your write up, but showed off a camaro in your first postin this thread-which is yours? why did the camaro's red look better than the firebirds?
    Thats because I didn't take pics of how I did it. Only the finished product (well while the clear was drying I took pics). Those pics are what I had lying around after a friend did his and I just coached him on it via email. Hey, sanding can do wonders on how clean your calipers will look . I guess he was in a hurry or something. Didn't bother to ask.

also, i saw a paint kit at autozone-it said to use a paint brush to apply. I really thought it would be a spray paint process to give a cleaner/smoother coat. What's the deal? are their better paint kits out there.
    There are two kinds. The one in the kit is applied via a paint brush. You can buy the "spay paint" ver., but the paint on option is more controllable. Plus the kit has everything you need as a beginner .

this is the kit that auto zone has:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliper.html
    Yep thats it!! dipherentdesign, look for that box.

Rob

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you kick ass. thanks hoss

torrid red/red interior
    2005 GTO 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by socialdbob
    i was gonna paint mine but everyone keeps telling me they look like shit after a couple month and you have to constantly keep up on them.... let alone if they get touched with brakeclean they need to be redone.
    not true--i drove my 99 t/a for 2 1/2 years with the advance auto parts red high temp caliper spray and they looked just as good as the day i did them with no clear coat either and i did not even take them off! With the 20" wheels i had on there they were highly visible and you still could not see places i missed by not taking them off

two tone

same here.. i did all of my last 3 vehicles with the rims still on the car/truck never had to touch them up. i used a high temp gloss paint. i like the duplicolor kit best out of all the stuff i've used in the past

Pewter
    2000 WS6/1999 Silverado Z

im painting mine right now......havent seen this color combo yet...ill post pics asap

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information