Thread: Paint job

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

Paint job

So ive been thinking of having my 98 Z painted and getting an SS hood and spoiler. I was wondering if anyone could ballpark on how much it is to paint one of these cars, its black so I really want it to be flawless and i would also like to have a white or charcol anneversary strip cleared in. I am looking to do this some time over the summer because i have to make some cash but if anyone could ballpark me and any good painters would be well appreciated. I live in atl. Ga so if its worth it I would be willing to travel to any neighbooring states for it. Thanks.

Silver/Black
    1995 Z28

I don't know a lot about this but if you want a 1st class paint job, preparation is everything. The more prep work you can do, the cheaper it will be. I have a friend here in Destin, FL that runs a paint and body and is known for restorations and paint and I promise you if he does all the prep work in his shop, the job will cost you thousands.

The more prep work you can do, the cheaper it will be. If you do all the body work, sanding, and masking, it will be a lot less expensive.

black
    1999 pontiac ws6 formula

Quote Originally Posted by rsg98Z28 View Post
    So ive been thinking of having my 98 Z painted and getting an SS hood and spoiler. I was wondering if anyone could ballpark on how much it is to paint one of these cars, its black so I really want it to be flawless and i would also like to have a white or charcol anneversary strip cleared in. I am looking to do this some time over the summer because i have to make some cash but if anyone could ballpark me and any good painters would be well appreciated. I live in atl. Ga so if its worth it I would be willing to travel to any neighbooring states for it. Thanks.
    I live in charlotte nc, about three hours from you. I am a automotive painter at a Chevrolet dealership and could give you a quote on painting your z.I am also in the process on repainting my 99 ws6 formula which is also black so you could see my work before you had your car done.I do alot of f body work locally for some friends of mine who own a f body shop called zeus performance.I also do alot of restoration work.Call me @ 704 606 6451. Will Stephans.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

sounds good will i would like to see the pics of your work.

10's N/A

I had my '93 Z28 painted last december at the dealership. With all the prep work and everything it ran me $3800. Very costly, but looks excellent.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Dealership=hurt buthole

pewter
    00 TA m6 vert

easy $4k for a A+++ paint job froma reputable body shop... but, I have had a few cars painted at Maaco... where I did all the prep myself (pain in the ass by the way) and through them $400 - $700. Not show quality, but respectable.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

It may take some time but there are places that you can get a great paint job done for $1500-2,000. I drove all over checking out different shops. Some places wanted 4 grand and when I looked at their work they had runs in the paint and didnt know what they were doing. I found a place for $1400.00 (base coat+clear coat)and their work was the best out of all the shops I went to. They have been in buisness 20 years. Maybe I just got lucky for once. I would just check out as many shops as possible and ask to see their work, notice how busy they are, how clean the shop is, the paint booth etc. Good luck. Also-write down your milage anytime you leave your car at a shop-I do.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

Yea if im gonna do this im gonna have it done right. im sure i could do body work but I dont want to work my ass off to have it look like crap. ill leave it to the professionals thats why this is their profession. now i wouldnt say im a paint expert but i know what i wanna se and i want the paint to be basically flawless at least equal to or better than factory. and do you think I should try the Rksport Hood and spoiler or should i just get the SLP or am i just paying for the name.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Keep the z/28 hood. I wouldnt do any of the prep work either man-just give the car a good wash is all I would do.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Dealership=hurt buthole
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCJHH45 View Post
    easy $4k for a A+++ paint job froma reputable body shop...
    Definitely easy. I shopped around thoroughly, and came to the reality that high quality paint jobs cost a lot of dough! Some shops were charging in excess of $5-$6k for their top of the line paint. I've seen what others have gotten for less, and it's nothing compared to my paint - no bragging intended. I sort of feel like I got a deal @ $3800.

Drag racing is a disease! RacerBob's Avatar

Maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rsg98Z28 View Post
    Yea if im gonna do this im gonna have it done right. im sure i could do body work but I dont want to work my ass off to have it look like crap. ill leave it to the professionals thats why this is their profession. now i wouldnt say im a paint expert but i know what i wanna se and i want the paint to be basically flawless at least equal to or better than factory. and do you think I should try the Rksport Hood and spoiler or should i just get the SLP or am i just paying for the name.
    I looked for a hood for quite a while. The only one I really liked was the SLP UltraZ hood. Warning...SLP's customer service sucks. The hood is an awsome design, but mine had a flaw in it. After it was painted, a few bubbles showed up. It was really difficult to get them to settle with me.
    Drag racing...just another numbers game.

Vortech Super Charger, 9" w/4.11, 3200 Stall, BMR SFC, BMR TracPak, !MAF screen, 160 T-Stat.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

I think ill just get the Rksport from LMperformance.com, unless someone says otherwise I think that will look nice.

Thread Information