Paint

This is a discussion on Paint within the Appearance Section forums, part of the General Help category; Ok the front of my car was just painted now i have a slight difference in color from panel to ...

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Paint

Ok the front of my car was just painted now i have a slight difference in color from panel to panel. In the spring i was wanting to polish and buff the rest of the car so what i want to know is what should i use or do any suggestions would be great im just a little lost on this. I have herd that clay bar might be my best bet but never have used it and dont know if this is what i need. Just want to try and make the other panels match a little better to the newly painted panels.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Hiya..,

I will start by saying i am no expert, but i have had a very similar situation in the last few weeks.

I heavily scraped my front bumper and needed some plastic welding along with a full strip , prime and base/clear to bring it back and it is a perfect match, happily.

I am not sure if it was my bodyshop going the extra mile but although the whole of my car is original paint, their mix to the paint code was a shade or three out in there trials and so they got in a gizmo called a spectrometer or a spectrograph or something like that and "read" my current paint to mix it up for a great match. I wonder how your shop did yours as a mis-match may have to remain...... but as i said i am no paint expert and somebody like Ryan may chime in with their thoughts!

Not a huge help i realise but i thought i'd put it out there!

Trev... )

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by speedyws6 View Post
    hiya..,

i will start by saying i am no expert, but i have had a very similar situation in the last few weeks.

I heavily scraped my front bumper and needed some plastic welding along with a full strip , prime and base/clear to bring it back and it is a perfect match, happily.

I am not sure if it was my bodyshop going the extra mile but although the whole of my car is original paint, their mix to the paint code was a shade or three out in there trials and so they got in a gizmo called a spectrometer or a spectrograph or something like that and "read" my current paint to mix it up for a great match. I wonder how your shop did yours as a mis-match may have to remain...... But as i said i am no paint expert and somebody like ryan may chime in with their thoughts!

Not a huge help i realise but i thought i'd put it out there!

Trev... )

the big problem is in direct sun light is the only time you can tell but i also dont know when the last time the car had a real wax job done on it either!!!

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

If the color does not match now, it wont. Unless they do what they did for speedy, youre SOL. The next best thing that they should have done was to blend the paint into the adjacent panels. My car is the same way. It looks like a perfect match but at certain angles you can see the difference. My car has been clay bar'd and buffed and you can still see the difference. over time the sun fades the color, no matter how well kept the clear coat is taken care of.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

i have a similar problem on my CTS-V. car wasn't in an accidents but the driver door has been painted. had the car clay barred, buffed, and sealed and the issue still exists. im probably going to have the door repainted and have it blended.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have painted many silver GM's from fbodys to everything else. It is one of the worse colors to match. Usually you have to get a color card for that code use the closest and then make spray out cards till it is within a shade. Also with the metallic paint if the pressure is too high or low or not reduced perfect the flake lays different causing a big difference especially in the sun. You always have to blend into the next panel if the damage is anywhere close to it. Not that it is a better match but blending it tricks your eyes so you can't tell when done right. Wet sanding, buffing, and that will make no difference. I personally hate doing silver cats because of the extra blending amd some people wanna go.cheap and not.do it then blame me for it not matching. The only GM color you can truly to a match without blending is blk amd only if it is in good shape. Bumpers generally never have a perfect match, go to a.dealer and even new cars don't because of the difference between plastic and metal or fiberglass. You can get it close enough where a lot of people can't tell I can on almost all colorsi have been doing it long enough to learn the tricks, I have made.mistakes when I started and learned after they cost me.money. you really have to check the paint on pickup especially insurance repairs and refuse delivery till it OS done right. It took one local dealership 4 times to paint my x's moms gold accord b4 I would let her take delivery. Once you leave it's hard to go back.
    Beast advice find a good local shop amd ask them how much to blend the panels that don't match toghter so it will look right again.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Well I guess I'm screwed the reason it wasn't blended is because the extra work probably would have totaled the car and this way my insurance paid for it. Then i guess my next question is what is the best clay bar/wax/ sealer stuff for the money i know the rest of the car that didn't get painted needs it bad and the new paint will get its first wax in the spring.

Thread Information