Thread: Ohh noooooo....

silver
    2000 formula

Ohh noooooo....

went to clean my engine today......i use simple green and water 50/50......washed it off and found the black plastic parts had white spots/streaks......looked at the bottle.......it was not simple green........it was......WHEEL CLEANER .......washed it all off and got the simple green to flush it off......no use.....white stuff remained......any 1 got any tip on how to get my black plastic black again??? and BTW.......the wheel cleaner did brighten the alum motor up ALOT

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    went to clean my engine today......i use simple green and water 50/50......washed it off and found the black plastic parts had white spots/streaks......looked at the bottle.......it was not simple green........it was......WHEEL CLEANER .......washed it all off and got the simple green to flush it off......no use.....white stuff remained......any 1 got any tip on how to get my black plastic black again??? and BTW.......the wheel cleaner did brighten the alum motor up ALOT

I have done dumb shit like that before...

Post a picture.

Did the wheel cleaner eat the plastic at all?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Good reason to paint them.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Good reason to paint them.
    This.. They're prolly a done deal now..

On the clean up note.. Paint just maybe your only option if it's that bad.. You could try black magic. But then there would prolly be a paint not sticking issue if you did deside to paint them later..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Maybe after some dish soap to clean them good you could use some interior plastic polish. I've even found WD-40 makes plastic shine (I use it on my wheel wells).

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Maybe after some dish soap to clean them good you could use some interior plastic polish. I've even found WD-40 makes plastic shine (I use it on my wheel wells).
    Except WD-40 has kerosene in it too.. IIRC. If you want to make plastic shine and last use Black Magic (yes that'd be tire wet) I've been using it on plastic for 20 years now never looked back or use anything else ..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-03-2010 at 10:42 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Except WD-40 has kerosene in it too.. IIRC. If you want to make plastic shine and last use Black Magic (yes that'd be tire wet) I've been using it on plastic for 20 years now never looked back or use anything else ..
    Ps. I'm not suggesting wiping down the body panels with it.. But works great under the hood, and inside too..imho

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Ps. I'm not suggesting wiping down the body panels with it.. But works great under the hood, and inside too..imho
    I have heard that as well. Probably safer without the kerosene underneath the hood.

Let's see some before/after pics!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Try Black Magic Back to Black, I think it's called. For plastic/rubber/vinyl bumper parts.

Thread Information