black
    1998 trans am

need a paint job

im planing to get a paint job...wich is a nation wide company that i can probably find localy that will do a good, pro job?.there is a lot of local shops but idk if i can trust them...i have heard bad things about maaco idk if there true..u guys have any ides were i can go or do ?? im planing on sunset orange..about how much will that run for??thankz

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would honestly stay away from a "nation wide" paint shop. Macco is good for a 2 year paint job. It will only last about that long then you will have fade and pealing.
    Talk around localy to car clubs and local forums to find some reccomendations.
    And as far as colors, its gonna be pricey to get the SOM color, i know touch ups hurt the bank on my car everytime.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

find a local car club and ask them which local guy to go with. OR go to a very reputable dealer

black
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    I would honestly stay away from a "nation wide" paint shop. Macco is good for a 2 year paint job. It will only last about that long then you will have fade and pealing.
    Talk around localy to car clubs and local forums to find some reccomendations.
    And as far as colors, its gonna be pricey to get the SOM color, i know touch ups hurt the bank on my car everytime.
    J

around how much would it cost me to paint my car with SOM color?? nice camaro man..thats how i want my ta...thankz

black
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    find a local car club and ask them which local guy to go with. OR go to a very reputable dealer

ill try that..most of the clubs hang out in a car wash like 5 minutes away from home..should i try the collision centers at car dealers???thankz

red
    2000 Formula

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blackls View Post
    around how much would it cost me to paint my car with SOM color?? nice camaro man..thats how i want my ta...thankz
    I do not want to sound like a jerk, but it all depends on how much you want tospend. The paint will cost so much, and that is a fixed price, but it is the prep that will cost you the most. Do you want a really nice paint job or just a quick in and out the door job? If you are doing a color change, do you want the windows to come out, do you want to take the fenders, hood, door and hatch off. Or do you just want to leave the jams and etc the old color? You can spend $10,000 if you want or more. Or the Maaco for a lot less. It just depends on what type of paint job you want. Good luck. That is nice color. Hope this helps! Enjoy...

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Just for my body shop guy to mix the paint for touch up's its around 100 bucks. Like said above for jams and everything and since your going for a complete change its gonna cost you a nice chunk of change, call around and see what your looking at. Dont allways go with the cheapest it could bite you in the butt later down the road. Also ask about warranty's and such.
    J

black
    1998 trans am

well i can spend around 2500 ..witch ii was planing to use 1k for mods but i dont really need mods right now and its a dd..if thats not enough for SOM color i will go w/ black

black
    99 formula firebird

yea if your cari s black and you wanna swap to SOM its NOT going to be cheap...i was looking at doing that with my formula..i got quoted 6500$$ so i said hell with it and will just get her paitned black again...

black
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by QtrWhore View Post
    yea if your cari s black and you wanna swap to SOM its NOT going to be cheap...i was looking at doing that with my formula..i got quoted 6500$$ so i said hell with it and will just get her paitned black again...
    yeah im gonna have to go w/ black i dont think i can afford som ....thankz

Collector Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am CE

There's a shop in Clinton, Arkansas that does show winning paint jobs and there's a shop in Cabot, Arkansas by the name of Reflections that does fantastic factory stock and custom paint jobs. I'm sure you can find something in Tejas, though.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

All the body work I have had done I went by local word of mouth and have found that nobody can paint a car right. I'm thinking of buying a paint gun and learning myself as I already have a 33 gallon compressor.

Blue
    2000 Firebird

If thats all your budget is I would deffinitely stay with black. Otherwise maaco is the only place that would do it for that cheap, it might even come out to more, and it'll come out like crap. Do you deffinitely need to repaint it? Maybe try a good wetsanding instead? It should come out just like new if the paint is in good enough condition. The shop I asked about paint said it made more sense just to wetsand it and even offered to show me how.

black
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by silvershot07 View Post
    If thats all your budget is I would deffinitely stay with black. Otherwise maaco is the only place that would do it for that cheap, it might even come out to more, and it'll come out like crap. Do you deffinitely need to repaint it? Maybe try a good wetsanding instead? It should come out just like new if the paint is in good enough condition. The shop I asked about paint said it made more sense just to wetsand it and even offered to show me how.

its not that bad..wat is wetsand??? thankz

Blue
    2000 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by blackls View Post
    its not that bad..wat is wetsand??? thankz
    then it sounds like wetsanding is the way to go. If you dont trust yourself just get a shop to do it and your paint should come out looking new. Wetsanding is simply sanding with really fine sandpaper i believe. You use plenty of water while doing it to keep it wet the entire time, hence wet-sanding. If its old paint then theres a chance of going thru the clear coat of paint which would ruin it so its probably best to be left to a reputable shop. Its often done after a paint job to get rid of the "orange peel" look paint can have.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by QtrWhore View Post
    Why would you ever want to change black out? No other color looks good on a T/A or Camaro........relax Y2K

Thread Information