Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

middle console opinion...

hey guys. So I made my shifter boot and Ebrake boot mod but I been having an issue. The shifter boot is messing up the paint and it starts to make a gluey mess that ends up pulling the vinyl of the boot. The E brake boot does it a like but not so much and you cant see it because is very low.

So i need feedback on what will look best. my interior is gray with silver accents. Should I keep the console silver color and eliminate the boots or at least the shifter boot? or should I get a new gray console and keep the boots?

I like the boots alot but the silver console complements the rest of my interior. What do the awesome members of this site think? thanks.

Here is a pick of the silver accents and the boots:

This is without the boots:

I really like the boots but im just tired of painting over the area. I tried to paint it with an air compressor and I ruined the paint. i ended up having to sand it down to the plastic all over again. I was thinking leave the E brake one at least but it might look out of place. The last thing I can try is to change to a soft cloth boot. The problem is they make those black most of the time unless i go to the shop. If i could trim the plastic piece so the boot fits almost flushed agains the top of the console it migth avoid the problem but I think the indidcator part will have issues since it wont have the lower lip of the console to press against.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 06-16-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I like the center console it looks good. If you keep either of the boots I would keep the shifter over the e-brake. Not to change the topic or to jack the thread but how did you paint the interior pieces and not have them chip? I have been thinking of doing this to my interior except a different color.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I like the center console it looks good. If you keep either of the boots I would keep the shifter over the e-brake. Not to change the topic or to jack the thread but how did you paint the interior pieces and not have them chip? I have been thinking of doing this to my interior except a different color.
    Well I used duplicolor spray can paint on the radio bezel, A/C vents, door lock/window switches plates, center console, speaker grilles. I sanded all the surfaces good and cleaned them good. I spray one coat and let it dry good. I wet sanded the first coat. Clean good and let it dry. I applied a second coat and if I like the results I just let it dry. I repeated this process about 3-4 coats. Then I wet sanded lightly with like a 800 to 1000 grit paper. Cleaned up good and let dry. i then started spraying the clearcoat. Same thing 1 coat sand down lightly and spray the second one. If you like the results then continue to spray additional coats up to at least 2 more.

Let the piece dry on the sun for like 2 hrs. Then apply some car wax and clean then up. reinstall them.

The paint had hold really good. Im very careful with my car but the application of that many coats protects it from light scratches. These pieces dont get abused too much. I once in a while put some wax to keep them smooth and shinny. Is a shame that the boot can't stay in the center console...
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-18-2011 at 07:22 AM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What do you mean by "gluey mess"? Glue is coming out of the boots? Or is the paint sticky?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    What do you mean by "gluey mess"? Glue is coming out of the boots? Or is the paint sticky?
    That's what I was wondering too

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

the paint is fine and dry to touch. The 1st time the console was painted like 1 yr ago. what happens is that in area where the boot sits on Park the boot is putting excessive pressure against the paint. Overtime is starts to dig in the paint and it gets gluey. You can see at the boot the marks of the paint and if left alone for long you will see pieces of the vinyl stuck in the console by the gluey mess.

I already replaced one boot because it tear it up and the console was painted twice now everytime leaving the console with no boot so the paint dries real good.. same issue over time.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 06-16-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What you could try is some clear Scotch tape and run it around the ring where the boot slips through the console so the boot doesn't stick to the console.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

What you could try is some clear Scotch tape and run it around the ring where the boot slips through the console so the boot doesn't stick to the console.
    already tried something similar. The problem is that overtime because of the heat the piece starts to come of and it creates a mess. I used a piece of gray reflective tape. i even used a piece of vehicle wrap. Same thing.

I guess the boot don't agree with my console color...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You COULD get another console and send it to DragonZ28 so he can dip it. PM him. Can't hurt.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

You COULD get another console and send it to DragonZ28 so he can dip it. PM him. Can't hurt.
    isnt dip kinda like a paint too? I'm trying to get another console to see if I can trim that area some and raise the boot out the trouble area. I will send him a PM asking about how durable this method might be. I don't want to spend alot of money if it is going to be the same result. thanks cammed
    Last edited by JayTA98; 06-16-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

PM sent.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I was going to suggest a clear tape like Cammed mentioned. However, as that did not work, how about grabbing an unpainted console and masking off the well that the shifter sets in? You could still paint the rest of it to match your other interior pieces, but leave the sides adjacent to the shifter boot unpainted.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Linyl is a petroleum biproduct and usually contains lynnseed oil as well.. Ever notice how spray paint does'nt dry on most rubber? The chenicals in the production of vinyl is your enemy here. They are breaking down the paint and causing the goo effect.. Switch out to leather boots and toss some clear over the painted parts that should fix you up..

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Linyl is a petroleum biproduct and usually contains lynnseed oil as well.. Ever notice how spray paint does'nt dry on most rubber? The chenicals in the production of vinyl is your enemy here. They are breaking down the paint and causing the goo effect.. Switch out to leather boots and toss some clear over the painted parts that should fix you up..
    I was wondering that same thing about vinyl. Lord knows when that shit gets hot it turns to goo.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    well thanks for showing me the light. i was wondering how in the hell this was happening. I have to find a leather boot that I can work around and is not super expensive. I noticed that it happens on the e brake as well and I dont use it. now that explains it.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I was going to suggest a clear tape like Cammed mentioned. However, as that did not work, how about grabbing an unpainted console and masking off the well that the shifter sets in? You could still paint the rest of it to match your other interior pieces, but leave the sides adjacent to the shifter boot unpainted.
    Thats a good idea but i can see some marks pretty much everywhere the boot touches the paint. It just hasnt got gluey like the other area. I don't know if it will work because the boot overlaps on top of that area if you put it in park. I guess i'll have to try. I'm more inclined to try a leather boot. I might go to an upholstery shop.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-18-2011 at 07:25 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I found a direct fit leather boot from redline accesories. It's $44 bucks. I might give that one a try and if it works good i can get the e brake one to match. I hope this solves the issue. The reason i was thinking is the pressure is because i can feel that it locks in park really hard becuase of all the bulky left from the boot. Put It didnt make sense why will it get gooey. Thanks smittro. i guess I paint my console (again...) tomorrow.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I found a direct fit leather boot from redline accesories. It's $44 bucks. I might give that one a try and if it works good i can get the e brake one to match. I hope this solves the issue. The reason i was thinking is the pressure is because i can feel that it locks in park really hard becuase of all the bulky left from the boot. Put It didnt make sense why will it get gooey. Thanks smittro. i guess I paint my console (again...) tomorrow.
    No prod. Under the right conditions even the vinyl can become gooey(sp). I had a vinyl couch setup in my finished attic. It was left by the previous owners because after they took it upstairs to the attic they made doorway changes and could'nt get the thing down.. Talk about DUH! lol

Anywho, when we bought the house we made changes too. This allowed us to get the ugly pos out of our home. On the day I desided to get rid of it, it was crazy hot in the attic.. 100 year old victorian with no insullation hot (like car in sun all day) hot..lol

I took hold of the couch and my hands literally got stuck to the thing. After pealing my hands free I realized the entire couch was like this and that the vinyl had begun to break down. Vinyl seems to be weird stuff as I have seen it last for years and other times turn to goop, and yet other times dry out and crack up.. Only thing I can figure is different vinyl manufatures use different chemicals and so forth to achieve a vinyl material, some good and lasting, others not so much..

Leather however has pretty much been made out of the same stuff since the dawn of time..lol Even tanning is pretty much the same as then just on a much larger scale.. You can find various types of leather, thin, thick, and from various types of animals as well.

A trick I have used is to de-stitch a piece made from whatever the material.
    Once the stitch work is removed I then traced the patterns of each piece onto the intended textile or leather. Then measure the stitch width and set up my sewing machine (with a leather needle) according to the type of stitch used or a setting close to it and hit the peddle..lol

Another is leather lace stitching by hand.
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-16-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That makes a lot of sense.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

are you a tailor smittro? you sure know your vinyl and leathers... lol Thanks man ill order the leather boot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information