Black
    2002 Camaro SS

A Little Help with Disassembly and Painting

At the end of the month when I put my car away for the winter I am going to do a bunch of painting in the engine bay compartment. To most people on here some of the things I am asking for some guidance on may seem easy but I have never done them before. I checked the sticky's in multiple sections but I couldn't find the answer, if there is one feel free to post the link.

Can you help me out with instructions on removing the valve covers? I am taking them off and painting them wrinkle black and painting my coil brackets red. I already have all the painting instructions just need help with valve cover removal.

I am also going to paint my SLP lid and lid base. How the hell do you get that thing off??? Do you just take the MAF sensor off with it? Also when painting the base do you take the base off the car or leave it on and mask off everything around it?

I am also going to paint the bumper support but that seems pretty straight forward to take off.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You can take the MAF off the intake bellows in order to remove the lid and lower airbox. As far as the valve covers, I don't know what size the bolts are, but the valve covers come right off once you remove all the bolts.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You'll need to start by unplugging the coil pack wire harness connectors (1 on each side) and then disconnect the plug wires from the coil packs. Make sure the engine is cool when you do this as you do not want to drop a plug wire onto a hot manifold or header. Also, when you re-install the plug wires onto the coil packs you should hear/feel two "clicks". There are a couple of bolts that secure the coil pack bracket to each rocker cover. The rearmost bolt on the passenger side can be a bit difficult to access. I recommend that you use a flat blade screwdriver to pop up the plastic cowl seal pins in this area as they will shred your hands. Once the coils are out of the way, simply unbolt the rocker covers and lift them off the heads. If your car has high miles, or if the o-ring seals seem hard, I would get a set of replacement seals. I pulled my rocker covers and polished them a couple of years ago. Definitely look better than stock.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You'll need to start by unplugging the coil pack wire harness connectors (1 on each side) and then disconnect the plug wires from the coil packs. Make sure the engine is cool when you do this as you do not want to drop a plug wire onto a hot manifold or header. Also, when you re-install the plug wires onto the coil packs you should hear/feel two "clicks". There are a couple of bolts that secure the coil pack bracket to each rocker cover. The rearmost bolt on the passenger side can be a bit difficult to access. I recommend that you use a flat blade screwdriver to pop up the plastic cowl seal pins in this area as they will shred your hands. Once the coils are out of the way, simply unbolt the rocker covers and lift them off the heads. If your car has high miles, or if the o-ring seals seem hard, I would get a set of replacement seals. I pulled my rocker covers and polished them a couple of years ago. Definitely look better than stock.
    Thank you very much, This was my first thread I started and after I submitted it it didnt show up right away and I have an almost identical thread in this same section, anyway this is the answer I was looking for in regards to the valve covers.
    Last edited by smitty504; 10-04-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We had an influx of trolls recently so our administrator set all new member stuff to be moderated -- allows us to screen out the unwanted stuff and keep the legitimate posts.

Thread Information